Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Kaydee

Default What's the best dog related advice you've ever received?

I can think of three things off the top of my head-moose antlers, Buddy Wash and "You'll just know if she's ready..."

The moose antlers because I had read about antlers as chewies but didn't believe they were so sturdy. I finally bought a moose antler a month or two ago and it's been well nibbled in spots, but it's more durable than any other chew I ever tried

Buddy Wash because someone suggested it instead of baby shampoo and it really leaves Sophie way softer and the smell is incredible. You just want to nuzzle them nose to tail after a bath with this stuff...of course you want to do that anyway but smelling fantastic makes it even better!

I have a friend with a whole lifetime of dog experience and I had soooo many questions. I asked how he taught his dogs to follow him off-leash. Just a low whistle and his dogs have always stayed right beside him. He said he didn't really "teach" them. With Sophie he said "You'll just know if she's ready". After a year or so I braved it and let her off her leash. She has always followed my footsteps in the house. In the car if I stay seated, even with all doors open she doesn't leave the car. I took off the leash and held my breath...and nothing happened, she looked at me and we both walked the trail side by side then I open the car door and she hopped in...she was ready
Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 AM
Felurian

Don't listen to most vets' advice about food

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 AM
and Fozzie B!

I will never forget the moment that I went from being a standard "dog owner" to a dog lover who obsesses, self educates, and investigates beyond the norm to give my dogs the absolute best that I can. I had just taken Gonzo to the Vet after adopting him. I was 13. I went to the feed store down the street afterwards, and asked the owner where their Iams was (Vet recommended it). She went on a rant about grocery store dog foods, how awful they are, how to read ingredient labels, why Vets recommend those brands, and directed me to Canidae. This was 10 years ago, so Canidae was the BEST brand available.

If she hadn't taken the time to talk to me, I don't know where I would be now. Maybe I wouldn't have a life-long career in dogs. Maybe my dog wouldn't be alive, healthy and thriving at age 13... maybe he wouldn't be here.

My behaviorists/trainers at 4 Paws University probably gave me the most valuable information about dogs. They really changed my life, my future, and my relationship with my dogs forever. They taught me that force isn't necessary to change behaviors and that it is so much stronger and more long-term to change the way my dog thinks rather than fight them and suppress them... and it makes me a happier person, and it makes my dogs happier. I'm sure my parents would have euthanized Gonzo if it wasn't for their guidance. I have a passion for training and want to be a trainer because of the knowledge and beliefs that they instilled in me when I was 14, and I still have relationships with them to this day, and still go to them to practice and learn!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 06-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Top Dog

Look at the dog.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Show Dog

The command is an opportunity to earn a reward.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I've definitely received a lot of life changing information (mostly from Chaz!!!) but I think findin out about the raw diet was definitely some of the BEST information I could've received. We truly thought we may have to euthanize Violet. Our vet couldn't figure anything out, we'd tried everything they'd suggested, everything we could think of, and we were about to dole our hundreds more $$$ on allergy testing, and then that was our last option. After that, there was nothing else we could think of. And it wasn't just that, but she was completely MISERABLE 24/7. Just chewing herself up, itching, and in so much pain. It was terrible. We kept her on steroids as long as possible, but we were cutting it close, and didn't know what to do after that. It was the only thing keeping her feeling decent. But then I was reccomended the raw diet, fish oil pills, and Claritin. And look at her now!! She's perfectly healthy and happy! We're so grateful for all the information we've received!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Pay attention to your dog.
Trust your dog.
Do what works for *your* dog.
Always have aa emergency slip lead and baggie :P

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Don't get one!

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Don't get one!

True. You need at least a pair

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Don't get one!

Ha this. Mine has been irritating me today, rude, embarassing and generally acting like an untrained heathen!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein