Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Professional Nerd

One of the earthworm products, one of Virbac's Iverheart products maybe, covers tapes as well. My FIL uses it since his farms dogs kill and eat things.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
My dogs are on monthly heartworm preventative, so technically they get dewormed once monthly. I've never needed to do more than that.
Ahhh I forgot that these are probably in conjunction with hw. Makes much more sense.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Little dog, big voice

Cali's advantage multi (or whatever it is) costed at least $150 for only 4 or 5 doses, if I recall correctly.. but it's not just for fleas.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

This isn't with heartworm (I don't think we have it around here). Roman's had episodes of the shits for a while, which I originally attributed to people feeding him, for instance, ice cream. However I don't believe they've been feeding him recently and the episodes are pretty violent, hence the vet.

He did a fecal first but didn't find anything. He prescribed dewormers anyways, as it seems to both of us like this is some sort of internal parasite.

If I were doing it over again I would've just said to give me the multi-day crap cup and send it to the lab, because if he has some sort of protazoan that's $100 for nothing.

And it seems I can order Panacur from amazon.com (but not from .ca!)... so yeah, ouch lol. What is so special about this Drontal stuff??
Old 06-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Squishy face

I do not deworm regularly. My parents' dogs do get regular heartworm preventative, but as for intestinal parasites, I only deworm if an animal seems to have symptoms, such as "wormy belly", loose stools, and weight loss, to name a few. You can see some species of worms in the poo with the naked eye (typically tapes and roundworms).

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Top Dog

Tapes don't usually show up in fecals, and they may or may not be passing segments, so a fecal checking for tapes is pointless. And that sounds about right for that many pills, unfortunately!
Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 AM
<----Thanks Allie

I do hw every other month. With the life cycle of the hw, you actually only have to worm every 3 months.... but I like to stick on the safe side and do every other. lol.

As far as tape worms, I usually get the cheap tapeworm tabs from the horse feed store if I suspect a problem. I've always had good luck with them.

But for Drontal, yeah that appears to be the going rate. At least you know he will be worm free now!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

Wow that is crazy. My vet only charged me $10 to worm Lily last time I had them do it. Of course she's a lot smaller at only 47-50lbs at any given time. And we bought a bunch (like 10 pills) for the indoor/outdoor cats the vet to keep on hand for worming the little hunters and it was $30 something.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Alright thanks for letting me know guys! Is there any reason to opt for Drontal? Or if something similar comes up should I just order a dewormer off Amazon?

Although it seems to be exceptionally pricey I'm relieved that the vet didn't rip me off, he seems like a nice guy.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Drontal is a very broad spectrum wormer. It will for the most part, kill everything. He probably gave you that because he wasn't able to pin point what type of parasite it was.

The thing with the hw pill is that it takes care of most internal parasites with the exception of tapeworms. If you suspect tapes, then you can just buy panacur from amazon and you're good to go.

So I generally go that route when I suspect a parasite... if that didn't change it, then I would go the vet route. But, that's just me.