Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Custom User Title

Opening the back windows but not the fronts will cause wind buffeting in just about any car that has rear windows that roll down. You can usually open the sunroof to make it stop, or I just roll all the windows down.

In terms of reliability, I really haven't seen any issues with the new Golfs. Which engine do you have?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

Our old Toyota didn't have any sound like that but I suspect it doesn't seal all that well, maybe that's why.

I have the 2.5 petrol engine. Checked out diesel around Vancouver and saw few diesel pumps. I'd have to drive around just to fill up on diesel so I opted out of that. Also plus the recent recalls on a bunch of the 2.0 TDI engines due to some kind of leaking caused by vibrations? Plus it was 4000 more for the diesel version...

Edit: I opted it out of the sunroof too because of the price and I would never use it. I guess I'll just have to open a front window a little.

Edit 2: Other than that wind buffeting sound, I love the car so much. Extraordinarily maneuverable for its size and the trunk space is just amazing. Plus the 10 speaker system and bluetooth controls in the multimedia package are fantastic. From what I can tell from the first week, I'm going to love it for a long long time if nothing goes wrong with it. Hoping to keep it a good 10 years.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:47 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

Here in Germany you're required to have a first aid kit in the car as well as a warning triangle and an orange vest so thats in there...

Other than that, I like to have enough water with me ever since I got stuck in a 50km long traffic jam in the summer and they had people run out of water.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

A gal. jug of water, fire extinguisher under a seat, jumper cables, can of Fix-a-Flat, flare, paper towel, flash light, quart of oil, brake fluid, small bundle of kindling and blanket in winter (when I lived in Idaho), Nature Valley granola bars, lol. Most of that is kept out of sight in a compartment under the floor of the cargo area of my Rav 4. I don't carry a first aid kit. I suppose it wouldn't hurt. But who can predict what one might need? I mean, there are so many kinds of accidents where a bandaide isn't going to do the trick. I figure the paper towels will work to stop most bleeding and keep a wound relatively clean. I suppose it would be good to have some gauze wrap. But one can always McGiver something.

Oh yeah...in my console I have winter driving gloves that just stay there, a tire gauge, hand lotion, chap stick, pen, Rolaides, gum, Kleenex, my business cards with my old phone number on them. In the glove compartment, registration, proof of insurance, maintenance records, owner's manual, a pretty rock, and that's all I can remember.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
Other than that, I like to have enough water with me ever since I got stuck in a 50km long traffic jam in the summer and they had people run out of water.
That sounds absolutely awful.

My Fiesta hatch will do the same thing if I roll the back windows down and not the front.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
That sounds absolutely awful.

My Fiesta hatch will do the same thing if I roll the back windows down and not the front.
It was - thankfully I was close to home and just drove off at a reststop and parked the car there and walked home.

They did have to send helicopters with water though for those who were stuck.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Felurian

And at least one book to read (not while driving )

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-02-2012, 12:43 PM
*Now with Snark*

I usually have an 72 hr emergency kit, a car emergency kit w/ jumper cables, an old cel phone (for calling 911), dog leashes, a seat cover, and a spare set of clothes and shoes.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

First of all...I. Love. Golfs! I rallied one once with a friend of mine and it was almost completely stock and handled everything like a champ. Super impressive (especially since I'd been driving a Honda the past few races haha).

As for what I keep in my car, I drive a '99 Corolla, so I have all the necessities: zip ties, duct tape, pliers, wire trimmers, coat hangers (poor man's bailing twine!), a jack, jumpers, a big flashlight, oil, and flares.

Aside from that, I have a slip lead and a medium-size box for any critters I pick up along the way, as well as a coat and a pair of heavy gloves. And a hatchet, because I am liable to get myself stuck whenever we leave a well-established road.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 06-02-2012, 01:32 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Congrats on the new car!

Besides the usual bowl, water, extra leash and collar/harness... I like to keep a towel in my car. You really need to know where your towel is at all times. lol. They come in handy.