Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm All Ears

Default In case you're curious...

Mia still chews if I leave her alone and with free run. For some reason I decided to test this today (only gone down the road for about 5 minutes).

Yep, she still chews.

I am losing hope that Mia will ever be a trustworthy, non destructive dog.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Professional Nerd

I try again with Grant every so often. He does well for a while, then destroys something important. Last time is was Syd's Fur Real Bunny. So at eleven, he's crated.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:05 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Yep, Webby never will be. Leaving him alone with free range takes so much preparation that it's really just not worth it...and is still no guarantee.

He will open cabinets. Shred paper products. Climb onto the table and counters. Scoot chairs if needed to reach higher places (that's how he got my training backpack down from a hook...moved a chair then chewed the bottom out the bag --he must've still only barely been able to reach--then pulled everything out onto the floor and rifled through it all). We have a locking trashcan but he'll still knock it over and drag it all over the house trying to get it open so if there's anything wet it could drip (hasn't happened but just the thought is ICK), etc. We can't even leave him in a closed room because he will either destroy the door by scratching at it or get through any sort of gate we've ever tried. He has to be in a crate and nothing can be in contact with the crate or he will drag it inside and destroy it (he once dragged a queen sized blanket though the bars of his wire crate and shredded it...he was exhausted that night...). Ironically you can leave him a dog bed or two, stuffies, etc. and he will use them as directed and never harm them...

Funny thing is if we leave him home alone with Kim he won't get into any food because he knows if he somehow succeeded in being bad she would take it away from him and eat it herself. He will still shred things though.

If we're home he's great. You'd never suspect lol. The only time he goes after stuff is when he's specifically looking for attention, and then it's just shredding paper really loudly and looking for a reaction... hehe

Kim can be left alone for eternity. Mira can also be left alone as long as the temptation isn't thrown in her face...if I leave my breakfast dishes on the counter for instance they will be "clean" when I get home...but that's easily prevented since she doesn't open the dishwasher...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm All Ears

Yep Mia's been great when I'm there even if I'm not watching her like a hawk like I used to have to. If I leave her in her x-pen she's fine too and hasn't even been pulling up the carpet like she used to. But I swear it must be that the second I leave and don't lock her up she just thinks it's a chewing everything party. She does go after paper and cardboard first. Today she shredded a box while I was gone.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Is it possible that it is a separation anxiety thing? That she is tearing stuff up from stress?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Knowing her, I don't think so. I think it's just fun.