Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 PM
oakash's Avatar
oakash oakash is offline
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,095
Default

I'm homeschooled :P

People are always surprised when they found out that I'm homeschooled. Actually, most of the homeschoolers we know, or at least the ones that we hang out, are incredibly outgoing and can handle themselves in social groups. I won't say that I'm outgoing, because I don't really talk much in person. I listen (Yeah, I'm a stalker). However, if someone is talking to me I can hold my own in the conversation.

I've played on sports teams for a long time, and my siblings who weren't as athletic were in choirs or whatever they did. I also find myself to be much smarter then the average public schooler. Not necessarily the ones in IB, but if you heard what some of the girls say on my softball team, you'd be cringing. Here's a sample: One of them didn't know what the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE was. Yeah.

I'm not sure if I'll homeschool or not, I most likely will at least until they're in 6th grade.
__________________
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM
nikkiluvsu15's Avatar
nikkiluvsu15 nikkiluvsu15 is offline
Wild At Heart
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Florida
Posts: 1,811
Default

Let me be clear - I don't have anything against public school. I took 4 classes at the local high school (foreign language credits and typing class). I know *I* enjoyed being home schooled better, but some people don't enjoy it and that is fine.

I put this video up because after being home schooled nearly my whole life, I found it funny and mostly true

I have met quite a few people who are TOTALLY against homeschooling, but I don't usually let it bother me because I think I turned out pretty good and try my best to get good grades But like I said: It isn't for every parent and it isn't for every student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I know lots of adults and children both who went to school and have social anxiety. I know lots of kids who hate school

There ARE people who use homeschooling as an excuse to shelter their children from the world, keep them from learning about ANYTHING they "dont believe in" etc...and I do find that wrong. However, they are NOT the majority. The think is, most homeschoolers you cant tell they are
I agree! I know many people hate school or who have anxiety problems and they aren't/weren't home schooled.
__________________



Harleigh <3
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-31-2012, 04:50 PM
nikkiluvsu15's Avatar
nikkiluvsu15 nikkiluvsu15 is offline
Wild At Heart
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Florida
Posts: 1,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Well, my nieces and nephews are mostly homeschooled. In one family, one is now a vet, got into one of the hardest schools to get into. Her younger sister is travelling the world right now, and their brother went military. They were all more "traditionally" homeschooled as they live way out in the country....so pretty much all mom teaching them. Thats the jist though...you can LEARN anything you want, you dont have to have a teacher
I guess we were taught the more traditional way, also. My mom wrote out lesson plans and we had all the "normal" subjects, she also pretty much taught us until we got in high school. Then, as I said, we either dual-enrolled or used videos.

Of all my siblings and friends that have been home schooled I know a Physical Therapist Assistant, Radiologist Technician, Nurse, Nanny (though returning for school for a degree in mission work), Coast Guard (2), Army (1), Air Force (2) and maybe a couple that I'm forgetting.

I'll be graduating soon with an A.A. and an A.A.S., I'll transfer to either UCF or FSU to complete my degree. Also trying to get an internship at the FBI My best friend is going into Social Work/Victim Advocacy, she has a little bit longer than me though.

So, in order to be successful, I don't think having one person to teach you is an impossibility
__________________



Harleigh <3
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Kimbers's Avatar
Kimbers Kimbers is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denver
Posts: 337
Default

I was homeschooled for third and fourth grade.
Half-way through my third-grade year, my mom decided to take a job teaching math to students who were falling behind. It was a half-time job, but she doesn't know when to stop working. Then, the after-school knitting club was added on. Eventually, I was going to school with her at seven and sitting in a back room reading or sleeping to avoid the boredom. Once home, she'd either have more papers to grade or we'd head out to play some tennis. I don't think I did any work worth mentioning that year and a half. (Okay, I read some really awesome books, but that's it.)
Thankfully, the only thing I really fell behind on was math, and I'm just at grade level for that. I'm in the IB program now with a ton of other socially awkward kids, so you can't really tell that I missed out on two years of school.

But I think homeschooling can be a wonderful thing if done correctly. It's just definitely not for everyone.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Lizmo's Avatar
Lizmo Lizmo is offline
Water Junkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AL
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
How does it affect university application? How do parents know whether they are doing a good enough job of it? When you get into high school, how can one person teach everything at a high enough level? Are co-ops basically the only viable way to do it?
It does not. Home school students take the ACT/PSAT/SAT just like other students, which is what colleges are looking at. We have transcripts just like other students. Most of the students I know who are/have home schooled, take the SAT every year starting about the 3rd grade. It's not administered by the child's parent, and done in a group setting. To maintain the absolute highest integrity for how things are handled during testing.

Parents know they are doing a good enough job just like parents of public schooled children know there children are doing well in school - test grades. If parents are not honest about the way they teach and administer tests, it will show when the student takes the ACT/SAT/PSAT or takes placement tests for colleges. One reason why home school is not for everyone.

For the state I am in, one must be 'covered' so to speak by a church. Meaning the pastor has copies of GPA, SAT scores, number of days we do school, etc. He also must sign the high school transcript.

I was home schooled since 1st grade, graduating class of 4 in 2011. I am now entering my second year of college, with honors, in the fall.
__________________

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-31-2012, 05:21 PM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is online now
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post

For the state I am in, one must be 'covered' so to speak by a church. Meaning the pastor has copies of GPA, SAT scores, number of days we do school, etc. He also must sign the high school transcript.
)

Wait whhhhattt? You can only homeschool in that state religiously? Through a church?

And FWIW, most homeschoolers I know do not use many, if any, standardized tests so its definitely a case by case basis. That is actually a big reason I homeschool, I think standardized tests tell us nothing but that the person is good at testing (and I always did great....LOVED them! but not everyone learns the same)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,652
Default

I can't imagine trying to learn higher level math or math-based sciences (chemistry, physics) from a video

Just about everything else I think would be doable. With the internet available for discussions and debates, you can mimic the classroom discussions you'd find in a traditional classroom, and with most subjects you can learn everything you need by reading tons if that's your style.

I just can't see the vast majority of people being successful learning algebra or calculus from a video or a textbook. The Khan academy model (watch a video, apply what you learned) model for math is failing miserably because that's just not how the majority of kids learn. They need to ask questions, interact with others, do exploratory activities, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM
nikkiluvsu15's Avatar
nikkiluvsu15 nikkiluvsu15 is offline
Wild At Heart
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Florida
Posts: 1,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
It does not. Home school students take the ACT/PSAT/SAT just like other students, which is what colleges are looking at. We have transcripts just like other students. Most of the students I know who are/have home schooled, take the SAT every year starting about the 3rd grade. It's not administered by the child's parent, and done in a group setting. To maintain the absolute highest integrity for how things are handled during testing.

Parents know they are doing a good enough job just like parents of public schooled children know there children are doing well in school - test grades. If parents are not honest about the way they teach and administer tests, it will show when the student takes the ACT/SAT/PSAT or takes placement tests for colleges. One reason why home school is not for everyone.

For the state I am in, one must be 'covered' so to speak by a church. Meaning the pastor has copies of GPA, SAT scores, number of days we do school, etc. He also must sign the high school transcript.

I was home schooled since 1st grade, graduating class of 4 in 2011. I am now entering my second year of college, with honors, in the fall.
Thank you for that! You answered the questions so much better than myself

Congrats on the honors, by the way!
__________________



Harleigh <3
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-31-2012, 05:41 PM
nikkiluvsu15's Avatar
nikkiluvsu15 nikkiluvsu15 is offline
Wild At Heart
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Florida
Posts: 1,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I can't imagine trying to learn higher level math or math-based sciences (chemistry, physics) from a video

Just about everything else I think would be doable. With the internet available for discussions and debates, you can mimic the classroom discussions you'd find in a traditional classroom, and with most subjects you can learn everything you need by reading tons if that's your style.

I just can't see the vast majority of people being successful learning algebra or calculus from a video or a textbook. The Khan academy model (watch a video, apply what you learned) model for math is failing miserably because that's just not how the majority of kids learn. They need to ask questions, interact with others, do exploratory activities, etc.
I don't think it is for everyone, but I think it can be effective. It was effective for me and math isn't my best subject.

I also didn't learn exclusively from the video. My mom still taught me and we also had a tutor (who scored perfect on both the ACT and SAT!) who would help us if we had any questions.


The videos that I used were recorded in an actual classroom. So I was learning what the students in the classroom were, just watching via DVD instead.
__________________



Harleigh <3
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,034
Default

DH was home schooled until he was in 9th grade when he had the option of going to public high school. He has told me in no uncertain terms that we will not home school (which is fine because I have no interest in doing so anyway). He feels that there are social skills, norms and behaviors that are better taught in a classroom setting than a home school setting. I think it can work out well in certain situations, but I don't think my MIL was a very good home schooler. DH's youngest siblings didn't read at all until they were like 7 or 8 yrs old, while my cousins and I (who went to either public or private school) we reading much younger than that. DH's brother finally taught himself to read so that he could play video games.
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site