Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Let it be

Jobs can actually be incredibly fun. I worked at one of the grossest places when I was 17. A fish market. I was terrified to start work there because it sounded so disgusting but it was a riot. Just look at it as a new life experience. It won't be that bad I promise.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Felurian

Look at it this way, too . . . it's time away from family, and gives you some freedom.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

My parents kept trying to get me to stop working so much. I worked about 25 hours a week when in school from my junior year on, and close to 50 a week when I was on vacation. I wanted to ride, they didn't want to pay for it, that was my solution.

Honestly, even at that age, I went insane if I wasn't working. I'm not a "hang out" kind of person! You never know, you may wind up liking any job.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Top Dog

Thanks to everyone for talking to me about this. I will do it, I have to. Honestly, I'd much rather volunteer for a cause that I support or at a shelter, but I guess that's not going to happen. Especially not with the way my uncle is, he's big on money, earning it and saving it...he wants me to get into business...
I won't have this job forever, I'm sure as hell not living here forever, so I guess it will be nice for something to help me pass the time. I think I just didn't like being TOLD that's have to work and WHERE I have to work. I gave plenty of options myself and they were all shot down, so if working tickets at the fair is what I'm being forced to do, I might as well do it.
I'm not happy about it, LOL. but above all, what Renee said really does make me feel better. Spending time away from my family is really the kind of vacation I need, and the job will do that, hahaha.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Felurian

Working tickets at the fair could very well be one of the cooler summer jobs a teen could have

But yah, I hear you on the being told you HAVE to and having your ideas shot down. Kinda tyrannical. Maybe you should start calling him "Uncle Rex." He'll never figure it out and you can enjoy the joke

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Seriously building a resume ASAP is a good idea. The more work experience you have the broader your opportunities later on. You don't want to be me, i.e., 20 and trying to get a non fast-food job with a crap resume.

And like everyone else said, a part-time job is not really a burden. They can be fun and it's nice to have your own money. Time off is good to an extent but it can get boring too
This. I waited too long to get a job and really sturggled when I started applying after my first year of college. I definitely wish I had gotten one sooner or been pushed to get one sooner.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:26 PM
<--------Orson

I worked in the lemon shake-up / elephant ear booth at the fair when I was 16! I totally loved it. If you have 1/2 the fun I did, you'll never want to leave! LOL
Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I dipped ice-cream at the fair for a couple years. I earned a crap ton of money and it was a blast!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:33 PM
swimming upstream

oh man--the summer of my senior high school year I worked three jobs, and took a college level course at a community college--I HAD to earn money or there would have been no school. I'd start the day as a summer camp counselor for kids 5-12, then go to the Taco shop until early evening, then to the pizza shop until closing (2 am). Lather, rinse, repeat. Of course the camp job was M-F, so sat and sun I only worked one or two jobs.

My children were expected to work--to earn what they needed either towards college and/or their own expenses. Working any job will be educational to you--and can be fun as well. And when you get a taste of knowing you CAN generate your own revenue--well, that is as they say, priceless.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 PM
<3 my soldier

When I was in highschool I had a summer job (was a lifeguard) and worked 30-50 hours a week (THAT was exhausting). I started there when I was 15 and stopped when I begun college. Then I started a retail job. The second "manager" I had was really crappy so I was working 30+ hours and going to school for 15 hours even though I told them I couldn't work that much. It was AWFUL! I eventually quit and started volunteering about 10 hours a week, which was much, much better. When I first started out in retail I only worked about 10-15 hours a week (under a different manager), which was plenty. When you are applying for jobs let them know you do have restrictions for school. Set your limits, I have friends who work 2 jobs and still manage to pass their classes. You now your limits.... Make sure your employers know that as well. Good luck with everything!