Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

Default Water Safety.... Be SAFE this summer!!!

Just a reminder to be BE SAFE this summer.

With the pools now opened, drownings will occur again, as they always do. It's so preventable and with more awareness, and more preventative measures taken, less lives will be lost.

My little brother was not so lucky. He was 5 when he drowned at a public pool. It is now my mission to make sure this happens to NO OTHER family, as it is so preventable.

We are working hard on legislation and eventually want to bring this nationwide.

With a little click of a button, you can help us out a lot. It would mean sooo much to us, if you haven't already, to go 'Like' the Connor Cares Foundation facebook page, twitter, etc. Just simply spreading the word and getting it out there will help. Every little bit counts.

His website-
Home Page | Connor Cares

Facebook-
Connor Cares Foundation | Facebook

Twitter-
Connor Cares (@connorcares) on Twitter

If anyone has any input, or ideas, of things we can do or improve, don't be afraid to post them!!

I am currently trying to get this foundation even bigger, and working on a few events, but am kind of brain fried at the moment. We've had a few successful events in the past but to be honest, these past 2 years have been hard. My mom now owns and runs a salon, my stepdad runs his own company, and so now I have been designated as the one to run the foundation, with their help of course. But I am going to be the main one running it.

I'm tired of sitting around, and not getting things accomplished, I know this foundation can be huge and successful and we've already shown to have a nice following, and great supporters.

Today I typed up all of our professional 'thank you' letters (where I can just plug in different information for different ppl/donations), I typed up a bunch of fact and statistics sheets, what our foundation has accomplished and plans on doing, I made a letter for donation requests, and a donation form. Just stuff that NEEDED to be done more professionally. We are a 501(c)(3) foundation, so tax write-offs can be made. Any ideas on kicking up a non-profit a few notches?

Thanks for anything you can do!

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Sit! Good dog.

That's such a wonderful idea!

As for ideas, have you seen the courses for babies?? The floating techniques? Could be worth linking in to them??
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Sit! Good dog.

This is what I meant. *this video might distress some people, it shows a baby in water alone*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0mU...e_gdata_player

I think its great what you're doing good luck.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Top Dog

Yup, ISR (infant swimming resource). We've actually raised over $10,000 for the cause. We were working with a local instructor two summers ago.

Thank you!

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Bowlathon! Team up with a local bowling alley, and have a bowlathon! haha I don't know why, but for some reason people LOVE those things

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Behavior Nerd

What about a Q&A session for parents at local pools? Maybe even looking into working with a few to require a basic 1 hour course on pool safety that the foundation gives before patrons can access the pool with kids in tow?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

Just want to offer (((hugs)))

I am really really terrified of the idea of drowning and my son, with his personality (no fear, quietly sneaks off, etc) :shudder:.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Top Dog

I have some input. Not really fundraising or anything like that. But I think one thing that would help would be going out and and trying to get mandatory swimming lessons for elementary/middle school age kids.

I know my school did it but we were lucky with a really nice indoor pool so we could rotate classes all year to make sure everyone had swimming and I know that not everyone has the luxury.

I know a couple people who have lost children to drowning. The problem is that most of the swimming stuff I've seen is geared toward parents enrolling their kids in the programs. But every child/young person I know who has drowned didn't know how to swim or anything about water safety because of their parents attitude toward water.

I know one mom was scared of the water so she didn't teach her son anything just because they never did anything at a lake. All it took was his friends asking if he wanted to go hang out at the lake and he was there with absolutely no knowledge.

The other's had parents who weren't necessarily scared of the water but weren't fans. I think all of them could have been saved if someone just educated them on the basics. Free classes are great and help a lot of people and kids. But I think a TON of children miss out because of the parents.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
What about a Q&A session for parents at local pools? Maybe even looking into working with a few to require a basic 1 hour course on pool safety that the foundation gives before patrons can access the pool with kids in tow?
That would be great!

You know, I think I am going to work on this today, maybe contacting some local pools (not managed by the company where my brother died - we won a lawsuit against them, so I am not sure how kindly they'd take to us) but, thanks!

Brit & Jackson

Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
I have some input. Not really fundraising or anything like that. But I think one thing that would help would be going out and and trying to get mandatory swimming lessons for elementary/middle school age kids.

I know my school did it but we were lucky with a really nice indoor pool so we could rotate classes all year to make sure everyone had swimming and I know that not everyone has the luxury.

I know a couple people who have lost children to drowning. The problem is that most of the swimming stuff I've seen is geared toward parents enrolling their kids in the programs. But every child/young person I know who has drowned didn't know how to swim or anything about water safety because of their parents attitude toward water.

I know one mom was scared of the water so she didn't teach her son anything just because they never did anything at a lake. All it took was his friends asking if he wanted to go hang out at the lake and he was there with absolutely no knowledge.

The other's had parents who weren't necessarily scared of the water but weren't fans. I think all of them could have been saved if someone just educated them on the basics. Free classes are great and help a lot of people and kids. But I think a TON of children miss out because of the parents.

I agree, in fact you are a lot more LESS likely to drown (I forget the exact statistic off the top of my head) if you have a pool. I remember reading that once. Because they are often taught from an early age about water, and how to swim, etc.

My mom of course is now really really scared around the water with my sister, who is now 4. But she has conquered her fears as much as possible and she's been in a few swimming lessons (including ISR as an infant) and is around water a lot more than Connor was. She also knows about her brother.

Brit & Jackson