Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Island dweller

I agree with everything that has been posted here and I hope you take it into consideration. Pinning your dog down does nothing but teaches him to be fearful of you and causes more problems in the future. If you can get him to do it of his own accord you've both won. And that's really what you want isn't it?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Active Pup

Yes. Won. If he struggles to get away, and as a result doesn't have to get his nails cut, he'll keep doing it. The dog is not scared of me, as he's always by my side. He lies down next to me. He rolls over on his back when we play, which he wouldn't do if he didn't totally trust me. This is the only issue we have. Dogs do not know the difference between their owners and an alpha dog in a pack. They do not reason. They test you to find their limits. Just like children. Some take longer than others, but they eventually get it.

When I tell my dog to sit so I can clip his nails, he's going to sit and let me do it. And then he'll be rewarded.

I realize that some dogs react a little differently, so I'll adjust slightly. But it won't be all sunshine, roses and ice cream. Dogs do crave discipline. Discipline shows that you care. Discipline is what happens when they break their boundaries or rules. I'm firm, but I don't slam my dog to the ground as some of you are suggesting.

To the schmuck that recommended I rehome the dog because we're having one training issue, come back to earth and get a life. My dogs probably live better lives than you do. They're treated with respect and love, but they're not babied. And as a result, they're the most well behaved dogs you'll ever see. You may need to open your eyes sometime to see that your technique may not be the only one to work.

And to call me unstable, when you know nothing of me, real mature. I keep my cool when training my dogs. Being firm with them and being mean to them is different and they know the difference.

I've owned many great dogs, and I'll own many more. I'll probably have to adjust a few techniques with this one, and I realize that. I'll take a little of the info I've gotten here and try it, but I won't bribe them, because then they've trained you. I've gotta give it to your dogs, Angelique, because they've trained you well.

I love my dogs, but I don't worship them. And that appears to be a line that some don't know how to draw on this board. Thanks for some of the info, but I don't think I'll be back. I'll go other routes.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovymcawesome
Yes. Won. If he struggles to get away, and as a result doesn't have to get his nails cut, he'll keep doing it.
so you are getting the nails done with your method?

Quote:
When I tell my dog to sit so I can clip his nails, he's going to sit and let me do it. And then he'll be rewarded.
And how's that going?

Quote:
I realize that some dogs react a little differently, so I'll adjust slightly. But it won't be all sunshine, roses and ice cream. Dogs do crave discipline. Discipline shows that you care. Discipline is what happens when they break their boundaries or rules. I'm firm, but I don't slam my dog to the ground as some of you are suggesting.
nobody is suggesting that. you are asking for advice and you are getting some good advice from some people who know dogs very well. I hope you will consider it.

Quote:
I've owned many great dogs, and I'll own many more. I'll probably have to adjust a few techniques with this one, and I realize that. I'll take a little of the info I've gotten here and try it, but I won't bribe them, because then they've trained you. I've gotta give it to your dogs, Angelique, because they've trained you well.
Angelique is not the one here unable to cut her dogs nails. She gives good advice. I don't think you abuse your dogs but I think you need to be more open to other options. Especially positive reinforcement training. And especially since your method doens't seem to be working. You just get your dog more and more worked up. Have you ever worked with animals that need to be rehabilitated? What your dog is going through is similar to that. You need to start slow. Build confidence in the clippers and use a good, strong reward system.

Quote:
I love my dogs, but I don't worship them. And that appears to be a line that some don't know how to draw on this board. Thanks for some of the info, but I don't think I'll be back. I'll go other routes.
that unfortunate. most of us here do consider our dogs a part of our family. When you have that kind of relationship things seem to work out. I hope you find the answers you are looking for and I hope your dog gets what he needs too.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Island dweller

You might find this post interesting

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...1&postcount=35
Old 12-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Top Dog

My dogs are all adopted from shelters. They have been adult dogs with a lot of problems, My new gal came to me, terrified of everything and aggressive to boot. She was abused with harsh "training" by someone who clearly didn't know what they were doing.

I do not use clicker training, treats, or harsh corrections to rehabilitate the dogs I work with. I use dog psychology and body language to communicate who I am and what I want from them. My dogs all have clear boundries and respect me.

I've been working with dogs since I was nine years old. I rehabilitate dogs who have been messed up in their home environment and work with owners so they may better understand how their dog thinks and reads our body language.

My goal is to try and keep the dog within their home environment, unless I feel that environment is deltrimental to the dog, or someone could be bitten.

I support the work of Cesar Millan, which often makes me unpopular. But Cesar knows what he is doing, and reads dogs very well.

I don't think you came here to get advice, but to find support for the way you treat your dog.

But hey, what do I know?

I may be a schmuck, but I'm no whimp.

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Imay be a schmuck, but I'm no wimp.
May I introduce to you.....Angelique. Ta da....

Old 12-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=Doberluv]May I introduce to you.....Angelique. Ta da....

ROFLMAO! Pretty darn close! But my hair is shorter and I carry a whip.

Reward the good, ignore the bad, and always remember to duck during the temper tantrums!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" Albert Einstein

Here's to you, Jane Goodall. So much insight into the mind of a species from someone who's never trained a single chimp.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

LOL. Whips work.

My hair is a little shorter too and I carry a martini in one hand and a hand grenade in the other and I'm about to run out of estrogen.