Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Exercise when it's hot?

It's been in the mid 90s this weekend and Mia's been disgruntled with our lack of walking. I went to swim today and brought them with me. I LOVE swimming but of course my dogs don't like it. Last year I was able to get Mia to where she liked being a floaty on the water but she still won't swim. She'll wade in puddles but that's no fun for me (plus none to be found). I wonder if she would wade in a kiddie pool?

I'm trying to be more creative but it's very hard when your dogs think they melt in the water.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:11 PM
~Lisa~

lol i was going to say stay near water. But I guess hat doesnt work.

We exercise near water pretty much every time we are out. So we have no isues when its super hot out, both mine love water, Solo loves it even more and would swim for hours. Blaze is just a wader, sometimes a swimmer if there is just a stick he needs to have
Old 05-28-2012, 07:14 PM
such sights to show you

I cannot stress enough how unnatural this is for me, but I've been getting up at around 6 am to run the dogs on days when it fits my schedule and if it's going to be too warm later.

Fortunately when it's really hot and humid out, they seem to become somewhat somnolent anyway. A little bit of play time in the yard seems to poop them out.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm All Ears

I already wake up at 5 to run her down a bit in the yard but it's mostly the afternoons that she is getting really antsy. Been trying to up our amounts of training sessions too and that helps some. also been doing a trip or two to the pet store a week if I can and just pick up some chews or something like that for them. The other two are fine but Mia's not as easy going.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

I bought a kiddie pool for $10 at walmart (the hard sided plastic kind) and brought out a clicker and shaped Lucy to get into the water and eventually even to lie down. You have to be very adamant about dumping out the water as soon as you're not using it though, or mosquitoes take it over.

She haaaaaaates her belly getting wet, but I got her to the point where she'll go up to her elbows without flinching.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 PM
...ice road...

Treadmill! They're truly amazing lol

Does she like a flirt pole or something you can play indoors with like that? Fetch?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I just shaped Auggie to get in the pool too, and now he'll go get in the pool when he's hot, cool off, then get goin' again. It's kind of hilarious actually. He's SIX and we've had a pool for him I think ever since his first year with us. =P And he's just now figured it out, even though I've PLACED him in the pool before in years prior to cool him off...
Payton is the same. He knows when he's toasty and goes to hop in the pool (though he does it of his own volition and took no tricking to get into it LOL.) then away he goes, off to run more laps.

In previous years I just made sure Auggie was kept cool often, especially if we're doing agility, hose him down and make sure I get his belly. It doesn't really matter how early or late you get up here, it's already humid and nasty, so we just deal with it.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Mine won''t touch a kiddie pool, not even a barely filled one. How do yours feel about shallow beachfront? Mine have been willing to 'puddle' for years near the shoreline, but have been disinclined to swim. Taken 8 years. Cider finally has decent form without a lifejacket and gets in Dekka's pond herself when hot. Been a long time coming.. Years of fetch just deep enough she had to push off shore in a life jacket to get a ball.. disgruntled swimming to people.. Like Dekka calling her, then holding her so she doesn't have to tred water, then I call so she swims back and forth..

Smudge happily puddles.. at 5 he puddles deeper than he used to lets more of himself get wet.. his form sucks though. He needs more time doing similar.. But their puddling looking in the water cools them down and seems to be mentally stimulating.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

Ugh, I hear ya. Jackson just melts in the hotness + humidity. Today was 90 and easily felt like 100 with the humidity and he cannot stand it. Thank god he's a water dog because I don't know what else I'd do with him in the summer. But we only have my dads pool a few days a week. I'm thinking of buying one of those above ground filtered cheap-o pools for him at our regular house.

Have they ever been on a treadmill?

Old 05-28-2012, 10:23 PM
orange iguanas.

Ever since our heat exhaustion emergency last summer, I have been super careful when it comes to Juno and heat. Basically, if I think it feels uncomfortable outside, then we just don't go out. We just do what we can in the house - fetch, flirt pole, wrestling, hide and seek, treadmill. But honestly I don't feel bad if she goes a couple days without exercise.

I will take her out swimming if it's a day that isn't too miserable... but still hot enough that I don't want to go walking.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013