Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Default Anyone have experience with Delvostron?

Just like the title says.

Riley had a shot of Delvostron 10 months ago. I was working 10 hours a day, Paul was in Denmark and I couldn't get either one into a boarding kennel as it was school holidays. So managing the heat wasn't an option.

I was told she would cycle as normal right after her shot. She hasn't. No sign of heat since the shot. I regret it. Badly. My vet now tells me she could skip her heat all together then continue to cycle as normal. I also have been told it could delay her for up to 18 months. Sigh

Anyone have any experience with it?

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 05-28-2012, 01:38 PM

Anyone?

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Taxiderpy

As far as I know it isn't legal here in the states. I'd looked into drugs for delaying heats when I first got a female, but right now there's nothing on the market here. Sorry.

I hope things get back in balance with her system soon. That must be nerve wracking.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:32 PM

Why isn't it legal?? Yipes!

Old 05-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Taxiderpy

Usually it takes years of trials to get stuff approved here even for animal use. Typically a new drug will hit Australia and Canada on its way to being approved here. Maybe one of our Canadian members will know if it's used there?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Top Dog

There is definitely something available in the US now; I know because I had asked a breeder friend about it when she was concerned about a heat cycle interrupting a certain part of the agility season. She said the issue was that whatever med is used for that can cause fertility problems in the future, so she just deals. I can't recall what the name of the med was, other than Delvostron doesn't sound familiar at all, so I don't think it was that.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
There is definitely something available in the US now; I know because I had asked a breeder friend about it when she was concerned about a heat cycle interrupting a certain part of the agility season. She said the issue was that whatever med is used for that can cause fertility problems in the future, so she just deals. I can't recall what the name of the med was, other than Delvostron doesn't sound familiar at all, so I don't think it was that.
Didn't you make a thread about it before you did it, and the whole fertility problems thing was brought up there? Somebody did... (maybe not this drug exactly, but other drugs made to interrupt a heat cycle.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Taxiderpy

I'd heard about there being a drug that was approved that was taken off the market, but I can't remember what it was. It wasn't injectable though. The issue with it was fertility, and also if you used it the bitch generally developed pyometra unless she was bred on her very next season or something like that.

Some sport people who told me about it still get it through their vets, the vet just has it put together at a compounding pharmacy or something, and they just give it when a girl is coming in right before a trial to delay it a little bit. Not enough to full blown stop the heat and they avoid some of the side effects that way.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Behavior Nerd

The only thing similar I've heard of is Check drops and I think what Romy says applied to them - some pretty major risks so they are hard to get and not used often.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 AM

Delvosteron is basically progesterone. I spoke at length with my vet last night and he was saying it is safe as once the progesterone drops she will come back in. He did mention it can cause them to skip a heat. So he said to just wait her out.