Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Paige's Avatar
Paige Paige is offline
Let it be
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,359
Default

You can never save the wrong life. You gave a dog a home and thats al lthat matters.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-27-2012, 01:28 AM
SizzleDog SizzleDog is offline
Lord Cynical
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
You can never save the wrong life. You gave a dog a home and thats al lthat matters.
LOVE THIS!

I can speak from personal experience with our VERY large rescue.... yeah, we take dogs in from other states about 30% of the time... but that's because we're begged to. My rescue has also brought up dogs from South America, but that was because the president of our rescue was down there for other reasons and couldn't leave those dogs behind, in the condition they were in.

Truth is, it doesn't matter where you rescue a dog from.... the dogs don't know what country or state they're from.
__________________



Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-27-2012, 02:22 AM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,500
Default

I am a HUGE fan of people minding their own business.
Don't like what I am doing? Well, don't do it.

I get flack for having 2 pedigrees. I have Lilly too. She is a rescue. She has cost me a fortune in cash AND heartache from her health problems. Is it so bad of me to choose to have health tested/healthy dog? Really?

No matter where you choose to get your dog, it remains just that. YOUR dog. You live with it, its no one elses business.
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-27-2012, 04:12 AM
RD's Avatar
RD RD is offline
Are you dead yet?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 15,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Was Zaphod a Mexidog or an Arizdog?
Awww my Zaphod. He was my AZ dog.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Sweet72947's Avatar
Sweet72947 Sweet72947 is offline
Squishy face
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 9,118
Default

If people want to rescue dogs from other countries, that's fine. As long as they do it RIGHT. There are risks with taking in dogs from other places that do not vaccinate their animals. The CDC in 2007 actually had to beef up it's regulations because of groups importing dogs that turned out to have rabies. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?i...1#.T8IwzsWWihV

One good thing though, is that aggressive vaccination programs have made it much safer to import dogs from Mexico. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18634477

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Doesn't surprise me at all. The AR people do such a good job of selling the plight of the American shelter dog.
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement? Yes the AR people have done a good job touting "overpopulation" and condemning the "irresponsible public", (and HSUS even has it's own magazine, http://www.animalsheltering.com, with advertisements inside for the blue juice) however I would consider the use of gas chambers, heartsticks, neglect and starvation to be serious issues with some shelters we need to address. The number of animals PTS at shelters has decreased quite a lot from what it was in the 70's, but many shelters are still nothing but houses of suffering and death for the animals inside. I myself worked at a kill shelter for a month and a half where I witnessed the shelter manager allow animals to languish with undiagnosed illnesses until she decided they were sick enough to kill.
__________________
FOHA - Adopt!



"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-27-2012, 10:36 AM
elegy's Avatar
elegy elegy is offline
overdogged
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement? Yes the AR people have done a good job touting "overpopulation" and condemning the "irresponsible public", (and HSUS even has it's own magazine, http://www.animalsheltering.com, with advertisements inside for the blue juice) however I would consider the use of gas chambers, heartsticks, neglect and starvation to be serious issues with some shelters we need to address. The number of animals PTS at shelters has decreased quite a lot from what it was in the 70's, but many shelters are still nothing but houses of suffering and death for the animals inside. I myself worked at a kill shelter for a month and a half where I witnessed the shelter manager allow animals to languish with undiagnosed illnesses until she decided they were sick enough to kill.
Sure, there are issues that need to be addressed, and there are still some horrible "shelters" out there (mostly in the South, I would say), but other shelters have empty spaces to fill, and dogs are routinely imported into this country to be adopted out because it fills demand for the type of dogs people want to adopt.

I have a number of breeder friends (GOOD breeders, mind you) who are treated practically as criminals for breeding good dogs and placing them responsibly. BREEDERS ARE FILLING OUR SHELTERS. Uh. Well. Not exactly.

The only "politically correct" way to get a dog is to adopt. But you're only supposed to adopt an American dog, I guess.
__________________
ARCHX Luce CD CD-H RA RL3 RLV RL2X RL1X CGC TT
Steve RA RL1 CL1-R CL1-F ONYX
Bean FDCh-G
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Picklepaige's Avatar
Picklepaige Picklepaige is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,632
Default

First off, a life is a life. End of story. Saving a dog from Mexico is just as great as saving a dog in your backyard. I want a Mexidog one dog, and I'm sure I'll get flack for it.

Second, in regards to the conversation Sweet and Elegy are having, I'm always confused about the "overpopulation" thing. People are always saying that it's a myth, and an owner-retention problem instead, and I can see how that is for most areas (they have a lot of owner surrendered adult dogs with behavior problems) and people are always using proof of this as "there are rarely puppies in shelters."

In my shelter, and a whole lot of rural southern shelters, there is a TON of puppies. Just take a look at my "shelter puppy" picture thread; that's not even a fraction of the puppies we have available. We're getting in 5+ litters every single day. Is that not a sign of (regional) overpopulation?

And we have very, very few owner surrenders. The vast majority of our dogs are strays that people found on the side of the road. If you go driving through the back roads for just 5 minutes, you will probably see at least 10 stray dogs, usually in "packs." And most people in the country keep their intact dogs loose in their front yard (no fence or kennel,) so there is a LOT of "accidental" breeding going on.

Now, the euthanasia rate is going down, because we are transporting on a weekly basis, and we have implementing a low-cost spay/neuter program. But I would still say we have an over-population problem in the rural south.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Baxter'smybaby's Avatar
Baxter'smybaby Baxter'smybaby is offline
swimming upstream
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 21,976
Default

I'm always amazed at people's reactions. When I got Wilson, people didn't understand why I would get a dog from another state--there are plenty of dogs here in NY.
My answer--my heart heard this dogs voice. Don't know why, can't explain it in terms everyone will understand--but when I saw his picture and knew he was on a kill list--well, I went against all common sense in my world.
I am so happy you are able to bring Siren (yeah--that's my vote ) home to you. She needs a home as much as any dog--so why not yours?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-27-2012, 01:25 PM
RD's Avatar
RD RD is offline
Are you dead yet?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 15,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
If people want to rescue dogs from other countries, that's fine. As long as they do it RIGHT. There are risks with taking in dogs from other places that do not vaccinate their animals. The CDC in 2007 actually had to beef up it's regulations because of groups importing dogs that turned out to have rabies. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?i...1#.T8IwzsWWihV

One good thing though, is that aggressive vaccination programs have made it much safer to import dogs from Mexico. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18634477

I fly my dogs out of US airports, and they can't be put on a plane without being seen by a US vet. If the dog was unhealthy, noooo way would it be getting on a plane.

ETA: Overpopulation is regional.

Mexico has a huge issue with overpopulation of cats. Cats have it SO much worse than dogs, for every dog languishing on the street there are probably 100 cats. In Mexico, cats are valued even less than dogs as companion animals, so there's a much bigger issue with cats than dogs.

Dogs are bad in mexico too, but because a bit of spay/neuter awareness is getting out, as well as people becoming more open to the idea of bringing dogs into their homes, it's getting better.

In the states, I've noticed the northern states don't have much of an "overpopulation" issue at all. Wish I could send a bunch of dogs and cats north for them!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-27-2012, 02:15 PM
MericoX's Avatar
MericoX MericoX is offline
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In depression
Posts: 5,257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
In the states, I've noticed the northern states don't have much of an "overpopulation" issue at all. Wish I could send a bunch of dogs and cats north for them!
The shelter near me (in Maine) gets a batch of puppies/highly adoptable dogs from the South about every 2 weeks. There are people lined up outside the day they are all available, and about 80% of them are gone the first day on the floor.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site