Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 PM
& the Muttly Crew

You'll never please everyone. Really. People are nuts. I know someone who's gotten crap for getting a dog from a local rescue because they dog didn't have enough issues. He was healthy and friendly and well-adjusted and just needed a new home because his previous (loving) family had to move oversees and didn't want to put him through the long quarantine so relinquished him to a breed-specific rescue (his dog is a mix but of the rescue's type).

He was told off for saying, when asked, that his dog was a rescue. Because good-looking well-tempered dogs don't count as rescues, apparently.

People are nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
People will always find something to pick at - I had someone unfriend me for buying a dog (Aeri) when there were so many in shelters.
I'm glad (sort of) I'm not the only one this has happened to.

The look of horror and betrayal when they realize you -- you who they thought was a fellow rescuer and doer of good -- had turned to the Dark Side and gotten a dog from <insert gasp here> a breeder.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Lord Cynical

As far as temperament goes... Talla is a very "family oriented" dog - she's not stubborn in the slightest, but quite mischievous. She loves her people but is aloof with strangers until she gets to know them. Aloof meaning she'll observe from a distance but not approach - no fear, no skittishness, just caution and skepticism.

Great with other dogs (though a little rough, and very talkative), medium (but very accessible) drive, very adaptable. Mexidogs must be half-monkey, because they are extremely resourceful when it comes to getting to places dogs shouldn't be.

Talla grew up fast. From what I've heard, this is common for Mexidogs. They go from being puppies to adults quicker than other dogs... my guess is because puppy antics get yourself killed on the streets, so they've "evolved" to mentally and physically "grow up" fast.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 PM
overdogged

Doesn't surprise me at all. The AR people do such a good job of selling the plight of the American shelter dog.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
You'll never please everyone. Really. People are nuts. I know someone who's gotten crap for getting a dog from a local rescue because they dog didn't have enough issues. He was healthy and friendly and well-adjusted and just needed a new home
He was told off for saying, when asked, that his dog was a rescue. Because good-looking well-tempered dogs don't count as rescues, apparently.
Yep. I've gotten flack for adopting Ella. Because I took on an "easy ferret" that could have easily found a home, instead of taking on one with issues as a forever foster, and also because it meant I can't foster anymore... I was having to stop fostering due to Ren's aggression to males and sick adults.

oh and yah, I'm not allowed to call her a rescue, rather, because she came to me instead of somebody else in the rescue first... despite being a foster.

People are stupid, and only want you to do what they won't, really. **** em.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I am of the mindset that a home is a home and every shelter dog deserves one as much as the next.

But, I guess, I can see where people may get a little bit TOed with the situation. If you are a person who is very involved with rescue and spends tons of time every week trying to get adoptable dogs into homes, I can see where someone saying "I'm getting a dog from Mexico!" may be a little...IDK, upsetting to them?

Like I said, I'm all for people getting there dogs from whatever reputable source they want! Be it breeder, rescue, whatevs, but I can see where people who throw there life into rescuing dogs may be put off by it a bit. I mean seriously, it's not like you went out and bought a puppy mill dog!

I am sorry that you had someone say this to you though, I can't imagine being reamed out for doing something good like this!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
Sizzle that's very well written!!

Dekka, I respectfully disagree, I'll have a few more dollars in, sure, but only enough of a difference given the prices on rescues here that I have looked at to maybe cover 2 instead of one... And frankly I has been looking around and was not seeing what I was hoping for.. From what Grace has shared about her, she'll be perfect, even if I can't get her to bark less which I am sure I can train out of her with time and patience.. LOL

Her airfare is actually less ( same as sizzle noted ) than most of the breed specific rescues I looked at!
Oh yes I wasn't saying. Just comparing to rescuing dogs locally.. not saying you should have taken one. I know the variety can be limited. Just saying I can kind of see someone's point. I never said if it was my point of view or not You know that saying "think globally, help locally"? some people REALLY get behind that idea.. you will not make them happy.

But really does it matter? Its you who live with the dog.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Obey the Toad.

The Mexidogs sound really interesting actually! Even DH was impressed by the way they sounded, and he's not impressed with most dogs-lol!

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Leah your description of Talla is pretty much Cricket to a T though while Cricket can be aloof with a fair number of people at first she can also be quick to approach and kiss and love on others.

She is definitely the type of dog that doesn't just jump into decisions. She tends to take a step back and take in her entire surrounding before making any decision as to her next move. She is quite a thinker and a problem solver.

She can climb just about anything and jump anything. Not much can contain her.

She is VERY mature for her age and she was a relatively calm puppy compared to puppies im used to. She definitely had her crazy puppy wooooo hooooo moments, but even at a young age she still was calmer, somewhat reserved and she thought things through before taking action.

She is family oriented though she is completely loyal to me and me alone in a way I've personally never experienced with any of my other dogs including Bamm.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 PM
...ice road...

People suck. Plain and simple. It's YOUR life, YOUR money, YOUR dog. They can get the hell over it
Old 05-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

I got the same thing for adopting Meg from a southern shelter transport rather than from a local shelter (where something like 80% of the dogs are transports anyway ). I stopped even arguing my point, and when someone would comment, I'd just say "if I'd done that I wouldn't have my perfect girl".

Nobody have ever gotten after me for Gusto. Apparently I got him in an acceptable manner. Phew.