Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Once I start work it will probably be more than 8 hours, I don't feel bad about that. They just spend their days sleeping. Mitsu is her kennel an Teagan has the whole house to herself. We put a bench infront of the window so teagan can spend her day looking out the window and creeping on the neighbors, plus we were always finding her up on the kitchen table looking out the window when we came home so the bench was the solution to that.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-26-2012, 04:32 PM
overdogged

Usually no more than five hours or so, but sometimes as much as ten. If I get stuck at work over lunch and can't get ahold of somebody to let them out, it makes for a long day for them. I feel worse because somebody is always crated.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

Usually 8 or so, they usually just sleep

My dogs are not in any way active, so if I came home on a break and tried to make them run around they'd be really horrified
Old 05-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
No longer than 4 hours.
It's not really a potty issue for me, they can hold it for much longer.. I just feel bad leaving them cooped up in the house with no walk or playtime.

Don't know why I feel so bad about it lol honestly, when we are gone all they do is find a comfy spot and sleep.

I'm like this.

I'm lucky my husband works nights, so he is home all day with him while I'm at work.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Plus One

Generally there's always someone home but a few days a week (if that) they could be on their own for 4-6 hours.

Fudge and Taz were left for 14 hours once when my sister had to go to hospital but I think that's been the max.

There was once they were left for 24 hours but they were outside in the run and someone came to check on them, exercise them and feed them so I do t think that counts.

ETA: I have no issues with leaving the adults for up to 14 hours as I know they can last that long and they're able to be loose in the house. I wouldn't want to do that with Aura or Diesel though. Even Tika actually since bes getting on a bit
Old 05-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Lab Love

I'm willing to leave him for a full work day, which is around 8 1/2-9hrs. He gets kind of loony after 5hrs though. He hates being left alone, but he's slowly getting better.

Luckily, he has a place he can go every day. I drop him off every morning at my friends' plumbing shop before I go to work. He gets to hang out with tons of dog loving men and Boomer all day. If I didn't have that option, he would be left in my room.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 PM
...ice road...

There were times when I've had to leave my adults for 14+ hours while working 12 hour work shifts... but it wasn't a daily thing (maybe a few times a week, during holiday seasons when there was extra work to be had). I HATED that they were crated that long... but I put them into ginormous extra big crates with bones and stuff to occupy them. They mostly slept though (given the state of their bones lol). I haven't had to do that with a puppy/young dog, luckily!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Cloudcandy

Thanks guys.It seems dogs are just all so flexible and different.
I'm weighing up wether I would need a dog walker if I was working 7-8 hours a day close by,I think she could hold her toilet that long and maybe with the saved money have 1/2days in daycare/with someone instead.
I just am really really REALLY finding it hard to even begin to find someone I would trust with my house keys...let alone my dog!!!
What would you do?If I was leaving her alone for 7/8 hrs a day it would have to start and end with a good walk which I'm up for.I just worry about her being stimulated since she doesnt really play with toys whilst I'm away!
I would LOVE to leave her with my nan,unfortuantly she sometimes drops her medicine on the floor ...and not noticed..which I cant risk!!!

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 05-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
My dogs are not in any way active, so if I came home on a break and tried to make them run around they'd be really horrified

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Top Dog

I don't think Zander would care if I was gone for 12+ hours. If he wanted to do something, he'd just open the door and do it. He doesn't need me to do something.

Which is why I don't like being away from the house for more than 4 hours unless I know he's going to sleep forever.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky