Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

My guys are usually not left longer than 5-6 hours, but can go 8 hours in a pinch. I really do not like leaving them alone too long...but that is more me than them

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 05-26-2012, 01:56 PM
orange iguanas.

At the moment there's no need for them to ever be alone longer than a couple hours here or there. The max they're left alone is 12ish hours which happens very rarely. Normally on the days that I know that's going to happen, I try to bring Juno to daycare. But they are left in my bedroom and just sleep the whole time otherwise.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Top Dog

8 1/2 to 9 hours is my maximum. Even then I feel guilty. They've been left a little longer a few times but it is not something that happens often and I felt awful when it did. Most days they're left alone intermittently throughout the day, so altogether they're probably alone for maybe 4-5 hours in a day. I put them away when I leave for work in the mornings, then my brother lets them out at some point when he wakes up, then he puts them away before he leaves for a couple more hours and then my mom lets them out when she gets home as she gets home earlier than I do.

One day when I move out and live on my own I will probably send them to daycare a couple times a week and/or have someone come let them out in the afternoon sometime.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 05-26-2012, 02:10 PM
such sights to show you

Oh, and a lot of my off time is spent doing doggie stuff, not so much to "make it up to them" but because... I like doing doggie stuff in my off time.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
What is your limit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
What is your set up for your dogs when your out?
We have wonderful friends across the street who will come over and put Caleb out if we're gone for an extended amount of. There have been times we've called them from where ever we were because we were running late. We do the same for them. We'll feed each others' dogs, too.I think the longest we've left Caleb without asking our friends to put him out was 7 hours. By the time we realized how late we were going to be, they were already in bed and I didn't want to wake them up.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo is left alone for, on average, about 9 hours a day.

Even when I get home he would much rather play tug or have dinner rather than go out to the bathroom right away, so I don't worry about his bladder.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

For Keegan, 10 hours is my absolute max.... And even then I try to plan ahead really well so he gets a long exercise time before I leave and another long exercise time when I come home. I've only had to leave him that long a couple of times in the past two years, though, usually it's about 8-9 hours. Also he has to be crated while I'm gone, so I feel super guilty when I leave him that long.

Most days I'm able to get home for lunch so he's only left about 4-5 hours at a time.

I've left Luna alone for 15 hours before, maybe even more. I used to feel guilty about leaving her alone for a long time, until I realized one weekend that she pretty much sleeps the whole day anyway; even when I was home she didn't ask to go outside or anything for 9 hours or so. She's not crated when I leave, though, so I don't feel quite so guilty. She also doesn't seem to mind pottying in the house, though she does hold it 99% of the time, even on those 12+hour days.

Growing up we had a lab mix, we had to leave her for 24 hours once and she did just fine. We felt terribly guilty about it, but figured it would be less stressful than going to a boarding kennel (which she HATED). Also she didn't have to be crated so that made us feel better.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

The most my dogs stay alone right now is 4 hours or so. Meg can and has done 8 hours or a bit more with no issue, but for Gusto that isn't feasible. I don't think it would be a potty issue for him, he's just a very active 1 year old dog who requires a lot of stimulation. Generally my mother takes care of them while I'm at work. If she leaves them for a few hours to go volunteer or run errands, they are loose in the house with any rooms containing stuff Gusto could get into trouble with closed off. If my mother is away, I either put in a few hours of vacation and work shorter days, he goes to training camp for the day, or he comes to work with me where he is crated in the warehouse and gets off-leash romps in the field next door during my 3 breaks (and often walks from other employees who want some puppy time). We are gradually working on him staying home for longer periods of time (until a couple of months ago, 2 hours would have been my answer).

Old 05-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Usually 8 hours but sometimes more.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Show Dog

Our three are basically never home alone because my parents work from home, but when they are left home alone it's usually no more than a few hours on the weekend. However if we were ever to leave them home I'm pretty sure Bo and Abby could hold it for 8+ hours, but Twister I won't leave him any longer than 2-3 hours since he's still a baby and can't hold it to long