Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Cloudcandy

Default So,how long are you willing to leave your dog alone for?

I was just reading the thread about "working full time whilst raising puppy" and it got me thinking about how many different ways people work out how to live and work with their dogs.
I've finally finished uni and am looking at full time work,at the moment I can stay financally comfortable whilst working full time weekends but it does not fulfill my personal carear aims so I dont plan to work there long.
At the moment I'm not comfortable leaving Coco for longer then 5hours a day,she can hold her toilet for longer but that just seems to be my limit.
What is your limit?
What is your set up for your dogs when your out?
To those that work full time do you find your days off are dog focused or do you still leave them alone?
Coco seems comfortable being alone for 5hours she displays no bad behaviour in the house and is not too crazy hypa when I return,does that mean I can up the hours I leave her alone (I have no plans/need to but would like to know)
X

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 05-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I don't worry about getting home, she holds it for 24+ hours on her own when it's too cold or raining :P

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-26-2012, 12:09 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Currently, Chloe is used to being left alone for up to eight hours a day. Typically 7:30-3:30. Mom will sometimes stop in around noon to let her out to go potty, but that depends on the day. She gets free run of the entire house. With the size of our family, normally someone is around, at least when not in school. When people are home in the evenings she just hangs out with one of us (right now she's laying by my feet) and will occasionally ask for play.

When I'm off, I don't focus on her any more than normal. LOL We stick to our routine, for the most part. But if we're going to be outside or something she tags along, which I suppose is different than being kept in the house for the better part of the day.

Mike doesn't like leaving his pooches longer than five or six hours at a time. With Cynder he would sometimes let her go for longer as she had free run of the house, but Gracie and Cooper are crated (in a HUGE crate, together...) while he's gone, so he doesn't think it is fair to them. If he's gone for a long stretch of time he takes them over to a field by his house and lets them run around for a bit when he gets home.

All four of the dogs have gone 12+ hours before without an accident...but I can't imagine that would be comfortable. LOL

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Top Dog

I try not to leave her alone for more than 5 hours.

Once my boyfriend and I start working full time, we'll have to, though.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 PM
such sights to show you

The longest they currently have to wait is about 9 hours. With my work schedule that is typically only one day a week, two at most. The maximum I like to leave them is 10-12 hours, in rare extenuating circumstances I have left them up to 15 hours but I don't care for that at all. On a typical day they are left no more than 5-6 hours.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Resident fainting goat

No longer than 4 hours.
It's not really a potty issue for me, they can hold it for much longer.. I just feel bad leaving them cooped up in the house with no walk or playtime.

Don't know why I feel so bad about it lol honestly, when we are gone all they do is find a comfy spot and sleep.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm All Ears

I work nine hour days 4 days a week plus commute. It's long. I don't like having to leave them but it never seems to phase them. I leave them together in a double x-pen with beds, pee pad (never been used), toys, water.

My days off and especially weekday evenings are definitely dog focused. Before work Mia gets a workout too, which sucks since I have to get up at 5 am every day. But it's worth it.

I think dogs are more adaptable than people give them credit for, however I would definitely NOT crate that long. I'm still trying to work out the details for my next dog since it will be a bigger dog. Ideally I'd want an indoor/outdoor run but I'm not sure that will be feasible.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Top Dog

I'm home 95 % of the time, so mine normally are not left for more than 4-5 hrs at a time. About 1-2 yrs ago we did a transport of an aussie and I left them home, we were gone about 9 1/2 hrs, my mom came up 2x and let them out potty and they did perfect But that is not something i'd do often, but I'm happy to know that they are okay if I have to every now and again and that they don't destroy the house lol!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Top Dog

8-9 hours, though that's pushing it. We were gone for 9 hours the other night and came home to a poop. But a lot of it has to do with WHEN we're gone. He has a schedule, poops first thing in the morning and then in the mid to late afternoon. If you're gone for a while during one of his poop times you are likely to get an accident, if you are gone for a long time and it doesn't overlap his poop times, you're usually fine. He can hold his pee for a long time, but when it's time for #2 he has to go.

The only time I really feel bad for him is the days where he's left home while my parents work and then they go out again at night for a long time. He basically doesn't get any attention, but that doesn't happen often.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Top Dog

My husband and I work staggered schedules, thankfully. I am gone 7-4:30 or so, and he's gone 8:30-6:30ish. That means Lucy is only alone for 8 hours a day. I wouldn't feel right leaving her any longer than that, though we go 9 hours on occasion when I have to work late.

On days that we know both of us will be working long, or when we have somewhere to be in the evenings, she goes to day care.