Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Default Alaskan Klee Kai

Have been interested in (more like in love with) them for years! Anyone have any experience with them? Or any info they'd like to share? I've never met one, but but I've done some (very little, really) research and they seem awesome to me! Like a tiny Violet! (I've always want a perpetual husky puppy lol).

And soooooo cute! I'd post pictures, but I'm on my phone.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Just try me..

Every one I have met is super cute. Every one of them has also had some behaviour issues. Even the breeder I met (she brought me some of her dogs for training) had issues with her dogs.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

That's a shame. What kind of behavior issues?

ETA: For the record, this is just purely curiosity. I'm pretty sure about the next dog/breed I'm getting. But I'd still love to know if the Klee Kai may be something I'd be interested in the future. Especially the mini/toy size. I really like the idea of a smaller spitz type, especially a mini husky look-a-like lol!

Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Old 05-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Resident fainting goat

Only have experience with one and honestly, I thought it was some designer breed fad of mixing huskies with badly bred chis.
The dog was high strung loud and just..anxious and shaky.
Very cute and at first I thought "well, that dog is probably just a bad apple" but sadly, I've heard that kind of thing is pretty common in the breed.

I've heard separation anxiety is practically a breed trait.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

I was sort of interested in them for a while. But it seems spooky temperaments run rampant in the breed. I gathered that many are very shy and quirky, and that pretty well deterred me. There were just too many stories of poor tempered Klee Kai compared to good ones.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I don't mind shyness or quirkyness, it's aggressive/snappy dogs that deter me. Any word of that in the breed? Of course Chi's are said to be snappy by many, and of course, that isn't the case generally with well bred/well socialized ones.

Of course separation anxiety is sad for the dog, but isn't something that would be a deal breaker for me, unless severe. Of course you can't know how they will grow to be, even taking precautions.

It's sad that they seem to have so many issues. Does anyone know anyone who has them? Are there decent breeders out there?

Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Resident fainting goat

I haven't really done too much research but I happened across this breeder and they seem to be good
http://www.delmarkleekai.com/

My issue is.. Chihuahuas do get a bad rap but think of how IMMENSELY POPULAR chis are. That leaves so much room for bad breeders, bad health, iffy temperaments, bad owners.
Klee Klais are a such a rare breed that honestly, I would worry that there are this many bad apples in such a small batch you know?

Also, it is even stated in their breed standard
"The Alaskan Klee Kai is very curious, active, quick and agile. His loyalty and alertness make the Alaskan Klee Kai an excellent watchdog who may be territorial despite his small size. While affectionate with family members, the Alaskan Klee Kai is reserved and cautious with strangers and in unfamiliar situations."
I think honestly, that's where I was like..err.. because being nervous around strangers/odd situations is such a turn off to me. Yet, look at all the great stuff in there too I think if the breed suits you, you should go for it..

I also like this breeder
http://www.nornirkleekai.com/
Old 05-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Top Dog

There was one that used to come to my old dog park. It was skittish as heck, and would just hide between his owner's legs and quiver if someone tried to pet it.

Cute as all get out, but afraid of everything.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Thank you for the links Fran!!! I'll check those out!

See, aloofness or ignoring strangers is something I actually prefer, but FEAR turning to AGRESSION is what scares me, and is something I'd be very leary about.

I love all the positives, and am not too put off by the negatives, but I'll have to do more research.

I just got through reading this:
http://www.toyhusky.com/faqs.htm

Of course, no idea how reliable the info is. I've never been great at that, lol. I'll check out the links you posted now, Fran.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, I think the problem with any breed that has "reserved" in their standard is that breeders tend to shrug off shyness as being reserved. I don't mind a dog that is reserved and cautious, but shy is a whole other level. And living with a shy dog, I can't imagine that anyone would knowingly seek that out. Reserved does not equal shy and should not ever. Dance is a shy dog, and she's my world, but if I had known how shy she was I never would have taken her. It hinders a lot of what I enjoy doing with my dogs and it's taken years to get her to the point where I can now take her most places without an issue.

My Dobermans are what I would call reserved. They're friendly and don't mind strangers petting them and will walk into new situations with no issue, but they're indifferent. They either don't care about things or they're cautiously but confidently curious. Unlike Dance whose first reaction is to flee and bark, and if not that, she just looks scared.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM