Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic View Post
Well someone is willing to put the dogs down because I looked for no kill shelters aruond me and found none. So thanks for the advise but I wont be killing any animals for no reason. thanks again.
That right there pretty well says you would not be able to handle a no-kill shelter. When it comes down to it, some animals are better off being humanely euthanized.

ETA: I just did a quick google search, and easily found 7 or 8 no kill shelters in South Mississippi

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Kaydee

IMHO fostering is a wonderful idea, helping one or two or even three dogs or cats at a time until they find forever homes or you decide to adopt them yourself is the best option. Maintaining a no-kill shelter is basically pen and pass around the animals even in the best circumstances. I agree with what's been said, being caged is traumatic for any domestic critter and there are some critters that can't be rehabed into domestication...and some critters that eventually go kennel crazy being caged...fact of life unfortunately
Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Dog Trainer and Educator

Default Hard to sustain

Running a shelter is a very hard, labor intensive, financially draining thing. If you have a large sum of money and a good stable group of people that you can depend on then with a ton of hard work you might be able to get it going. I would advise you start very small and grow slowly.

No kill is nice on paper but a very hard thing in reality. The sad fact is that not every dog is adoptable and keeping them for years on end with little or no hope for getting a home is kind of like slow torture. It's sad to say but it sometimes is better to euthanize.

Just make sure you really know what you're getting into and have the time and money to devote to it.

Best of luck.