Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Sport Model Pug

Default "Do you do declawing there?"

Background: i work at a pet supply chain with no vet or even a groomer, due to liability I'm not even allowed to cut a dog or cat's nails at the store.

So I got a call today at work from someone asking if we did declawing. Of course I said no and explained that declawing was a process that must be performed at a vet due to it being a full blown surgery amputating some of the cat's toes. She honest to dog had no idea that it was a surgery.

I've encountered a few people that have no idea what declawing involves and it makes me sad because it's a decision that shouldn't be made lightly or though of as something so common to do like a spay or dew claw removal. Ugh.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Top Dog

I've had a person come in with that before! And it was their DOG! They said "I want my dog declawed" which I assumed meant nail trim so I took it back and did the trim and when I came back they asked "Why are his nails still there?" and I was like.....uhhh? I had to explain to them that declawing is a surgery for CATS. Lol. Some people are seriously stupid and I fear for their pets.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 AM
APBT crazy!

Ugh people. Declawing is cruel. I could never do that to my cats and I don't see how people could.

Barbara, maybe they meant having their dewclaws removed. Dogs have dewclaws.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoundgirl View Post
Ugh people. Declawing is cruel. I could never do that to my cats and I don't see how people could.

Barbara, maybe they meant having their dewclaws removed. Dogs have dewclaws.
Nope, they meant all of them because when I clipped they were feeling all his toes and asking me why they were all still there, lol. Really, I didn't know people that dumb existed lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 AM
APBT crazy!

Oh that's weird.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Top Dog

Wow that is insane. I have to say I have not heard that one yet...

Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 AM
*Now with Snark*

It always amazed me that people wanted me to be a veterinarian for them when they came into petco for every ache, parasite, lump, and limp on their dog.
My default answer became "wow, that sounds serious. Maybe you should take your dog to a vet?" Once as a groomer someone asked me to crop/dock their dog... O.o

I also will always remember the guy who brought me a poodle in with a broken foot for grooming. Literally a toe was pointed straight up in the air but he felt his dog didn't need the vet since she was walking alright.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
It always amazed me that people wanted me to be a veterinarian for them when they came into petco for every ache, parasite, lump, and limp on their dog.
My default answer became "wow, that sounds serious. Maybe you should take your dog to a vet?" Once as a groomer someone asked me to crop/dock their dog... O.o

I also will always remember the guy who brought me a poodle in with a broken foot for grooming. Literally a toe was pointed straight up in the air but he felt his dog didn't need the vet since she was walking alright.
I hear ya, we had a person call once saying her dog was lethargic, puking, had diarrhea and wouldn't stand up....and asked if she could still be groomed...

Old 05-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I've had a person come in with that before! And it was their DOG! They said "I want my dog declawed" which I assumed meant nail trim so I took it back and did the trim and when I came back they asked "Why are his nails still there?" and I was like.....uhhh? I had to explain to them that declawing is a surgery for CATS. Lol. Some people are seriously stupid and I fear for their pets.
i fear for any animal in their care, humans included
Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Big Dog

I've actually met a dog, a bull terrier to be exact- that a vet amputated her toenails...