Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I like training for a fast down on the table because if the dog runs hard at the table it tends to get their center of balance low and it seems like fewer dogs pop of the far side if they are trained to down as they mount the table.

That said I haven't had training access to a table in a long time so the girls' autodown is umm not what it used to be. Their stays are solid though so I an lead out several obstacles during the countdown which is key on some courses.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm All Ears

We do crate games a lot but crate games are a really tough go for Mia. Crates and then staying are not her strong suit. We've been working on it a little bit month by month and I'm seeing some progress but I still don't have a big handle on the crate games yet. I found my crate games dvd the other day (it vanished when I moved).
Old 05-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Top Dog

Why not teach Savvy's favorite trick - jump in a box and down? It's a great way to trick the dog into learning a stay and would be good home practice for table work. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150619161005850

As for table rules and what not, I'm actually surprised the table hasn't been phased out of agility at this point. It's one remaining old fashioned obstacle that doesn't seem to fit with modern agility aside from UKC (along with the crossover and sway bridge).
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Top Dog

I teach an auto-down as they are less likely to go flying off the other end if they are already moving into the down position.