Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Top Dog

Default Too much barking.

My Toki used to be really quiet and only barked 3 times when someone was at the door. Every month goes by his getting more protective and barks until I get up to see who it is or he won't stop barking. That is fine because I think that's a good guard dog for a yorkie. Now the only problem I have is he barks and whines about every little thing. If his on the car he will bark or sometimes whine for nothing. And then he will bark at his toys. He never used to do this. Will he ever be the same quiet doggy? I can't stand the barking. It's driving me insane.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Felurian

Work on a "Quiet" command; just like you would sit, lay, or any other taught behaviour. When he barks at an unacceptable time, tell him "Quiet" and reward him immediately for his silence. Stretch the interval between the moment he becomes silent and the reward as you go, and he'll learn what you want.

Now for the funny part. As I write this, Kharma is in her first heat, so Bimmer's in the laundry room right now, beside himself, whining and howling. We also have rabbit hunters with beagles out in the pasture, so both girls are cranked. Kharma's manning the front window; Shiva the back and both are baying and growling steadily, cranking the decibels up whenever they hear a gunshot.

I'm adding to the noise myself: my head is ringing!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Im working on the command quiet. I've always had been working on it and it worked but recently he just very protective and barks and i can't make him stop unless i go out and check out what his barking. IT's that or wait until he finishes barking. But i can't give up or he will drive me insane one day. hehe
Old 12-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

My Westie will bark at the sound of a telephone ringing. Drives me nuts. During the summer was horrid with the kids running around the outside of the house. Its the Terrier in them. I'd move my feet quickly and Nora will start barking and chasing them. Oh, and my rose bushes are dug up also, looking for them varmits (sp?) ! lol another Westie trait.

People need to know the breed of the dog and know what is natural for them. Got to take them as they are. And I would never try to change the natural instincts in them. I would however try to teach some courtesy.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Felurian

Oh, is Toki neutered yet? It might chill him out a bit, lessen the testosterone raging and all.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-19-2005, 04:58 AM
Active Pup

Hi,
My question is very different, my dog (1 year old GSD) don***8217;t bark at the strangers. If any stranger passes over he tries to play with him. He just bark on the dogs and cats that passes by.

I think he lacks in confidence and is of fearful nature. I state this because if any dog barks at him he put off his ears and try to hide behind the person around him.

What should I do to make him bark on the strangers and gain confidence in him?

Thanks
-Nilesh
Old 01-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Felurian

There are two things that will help you dog immensely: taking him places with you and getting him socialized with people and other dogs, which will help his confidence greatly, and getting older. At a year old, a German Shepherd is still just an adolescent pup. Some GSDs do take on the role of guardian quite early, but others take awhile.

I don't know if there are any available near you, but a training class with other dogs would be great for him. What's his name, by the way?

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

congrads you have a yorkie my brownie is 3 and he barks at everything
theres a new show on animals planet its called barking mad you should watch it it gave me good ideas on working with brownie when he barks in the window i tell him quiet and if he shuts up i have broken up cookies by the window he gets one and hes not really barking at much now and its only been 3 days

yorkies they LOVE to bark and they are very protective i dont even walk brownie anymore cause of it hes completey crazy
its not just ur yorkie its most yorkies sometimes nomatter how well trained they are it gets worse good luck on ur tho
Old 01-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Top Dog

Toki went from a perfect dog to the most bratty dog. When his bratty Im always behind his back because I know he will do something bad such as pee in the house, chew up something, or barking at anything. He will be bratty once every 2 weeks so I let him but most of the time his very calm and good.
I think this is the reason why people don't want male doggies because they are over active compared to females doggies.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:39 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Do your neighbor's dogs bark? My neighbor asked me "do you still have your dogs?" and I said yes..and he said " I never hear them.." and I said that is because they are not allowed to bark. He laughed and said he wished his didn't bark and I thought "Oh man I wish they didn't either" It is hard to teach yours that barking is only an emergency thing when the neighbors dogs bark their heads off all the time. I have to watch that Victor doesn't pick up the habit from my Mom's dog when we go over there. A quick blast of a cold hose when I was watering the flowers set the grounds for what I thought of that we he first came home. BE firm, always consistant, and don't let that habit escalate because it is such a hard one to break. OLd Boss said NEver give a command you don't enforce!!!