Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Wild At Heart

Default Kickboxing and/or Self-Defense class

Has anyone ever taken either of the two?

A few of us girls from church are really wanting to take one (or both) of them. We've been talking about it for a few weeks, so I figured I would ask if anyone had any input, if the enjoyed it, etc.

Also - where in the world do you find a class? I have literally looked/searched everywhere and haven't been real successful. I know I live in a small town, but sheesh

Thanks for any input

Harleigh <3
Old 05-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I took a bunch of women's only kickboxing last year. Loved it, but there are so many hours in a week to do stuff. I miss it.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Top Dog

kickboxing is a great work out but for serious self defense you need to learn both striking & grappling skills. you also need to learn how to apply those skills to improvised weapons. 9 times out of 10 a GOOD grappler will kick the crap out of a GREAT striker. also about 95% of all real fights go to the ground in the first ten seconds.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, those two things - kickboxing, and self defense - are definately not the same. Self defense will (theoretically) help you if you're getting attacked, and kickboxing is a great aerobic workout. So it kinda depends on what you're looking for as far as which one to get into.

I did a cardio kickboxing semester in college, it was SO MUCH FUN. I've been trying to find a gym with a kickboxing class ever since - and I've lived in several different cities - and I agree, they're super hard to find. One suggestion, take a beginner class if you can, or else try maybe a private lesson with the trainer to learn how to do all the kicks and punches. Especially the kicks. 'Cause you can really hurt yourself if you do them wrong. It helps to be able to watch yourself in a mirror as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

If you are interested in self-defense, definitely take more than one class.You will definitely not absorb all the techniques for self-defense with just one class. I guess the same applies to kickboxing, but the two have different desired outcomes.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

The only self-defense class I've ever thought of taking was a gun class.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
kickboxing is a great work out but for serious self defense you need to learn both striking & grappling skills. you also need to learn how to apply those skills to improvised weapons. 9 times out of 10 a GOOD grappler will kick the crap out of a GREAT striker. also about 95% of all real fights go to the ground in the first ten seconds.
Agree with this. Also most of the time you will have to defend youself against a larger attacker and that is what ju-jitsu is about. The tough thing is finding a ju-jitsu class that has females (its often uncomfortable for men to train with girls they dont know) so if your going to be taking it with some other girls ju-jitsu would be great. It is also an excellent workout.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM
Wild At Heart

Oh, I know they aren't the same class. I'm looking at both of them - some girls from church want to take kickboxing and my best friend wants to take self-defense. I'm having trouble finding both

We all know how to shoot a gun and our family-friends have a shooting range that we visit pretty often. That was one of our sunday school outings... went to shoot some skeets, targets, etc.

I'll look into some of the things suggested - thanks!

Harleigh <3

Last edited by nikkiluvsu15; 05-23-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Big Dog

its not easy finding these types of classes in smaller towns. If there is any sort of martial arts school near you I would call them and talk to them. They often dont have websites so you cant tell what they offer. Most will let you take a class for free to see if you like it also.