Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

Default Tae Kwon Do

It's 4.22 am here and I'm up very early trying to complete an assignment. And I'm in procrastination mode. Therefore, it is the perfect time to post a thread.

Has or does anyone here participate in Tae Kwon Do? It's something I've always wanted to try, but I haven't yet because of time constraints due to my other commitments (work, uni, family, dogs, running etc). It's something I'd love to do further down the track when life is a little less crazy (that and taking up the piano again).

But I'm curious about it, because I've never known anyone really well who does this.

What the commitment and training like?

How did it make you feel?

Was it very hard to begin with? Did you always feel like you were challenging yourself?

What was the best thing about it?

What was the worst thing about it?

Did you like the whole philosophy surrounding it?

What would you recommend looking for in a good school?

If you have experience with any other martial art, please post about that too!

Sorry, these are not very specific questions, but I'm the type of person who likes to get an overall feel of something before getting my teeth into the nitty gritty.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

I'm a student of Okinawan Karate, first degree black belt. Training has given me a lot of confidence and strength. I've been training for about 7 years, but I'm sadly ending my membership because I cannot make the commitment that is required to train at this level. One of the best things about karate is the variety of the training. You learn katas, weapons, self defence, sparring, blocks, punches, kicks, take downs, etc.

Most martial arts are focused on your personal growth, and the rate at which you improve is based solely on how you push yourself, how often you train, etc. There are people of all ages and fitness levels at my dojo and it's pretty incredible to watch people who started out rather poorly really start to excel and master the skills as they continue training.

I enjoy weapons katas (particularly Tonfa and Eku) the most, and I DESPISE sparring. I'm just not into trying to beat someone up/defend myself against someone beating me up. I understand it's important to practise skills in that setting, but I really don't like it.

When searching for a school, look for awards of excellence, top placements at tournaments, experienced/high level teachers, involvement in international martial arts organizations, clean facility...I'm sure there's more. Also ask if you can watch a beginners class or pay for just one or two classes before getting a membership.

Sorry I have nothing to say about tae kwon do! Hope you find a great school and enjoy the sport!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

I don't know much about tae kwon do, but I took karate a long time ago. My daughter and I took it together when she was younger. It's been years but it made me feel very strong, energetic and confident. I was not afraid to meet up with a bad guy in some dark alley. The katas are interesting and really stretch your mind. So, the whole experience was great. I've never ever been in as good physical condition as I was then. And it's not just physical, but your whole body and mind working together in a unique way. I highly recommend taking some kind of thing...tae kwon do or karate.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I took Tae Kwon Do when I was 7 or so for a few years, cause my parents wanted me to know something for self defense.

I really don't remember anything about it

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

I took it when I was little. My mom and dad enrolled my little brother and me. I don't remember too much but I do remember having a lot of fun and I remember the teens and adults learning a lot of self defense stuff.

It's funny you brought it up my gma sent over a dvd she had made from an old family video tape and it's of my brother in tae kwon do. Whenever they punched or kicked everyone yelled together *you do everything in sync* but my brother instead of just yelling would yell 'I'M A NINJA!' every time he punched or kicked. So if you have time at least go watch the little kid group because it's hilarious.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

i am a grappler w/ a primary focus on freestyle wrestling but have also learned some jiu jitsu submissions. i was never taught & don't believe in the "spiritual" aspect of martial arts. i firmly believe serious competition (striving to beat & not get beaten) will teach more life skills & set you up for success in life than any of the spiritual stuff.
if you have to face a bad guy unarmed, ANY technique is 1000X better than none. BUT you MUST train until everything is muscle memory. when your body knows what to do w/o your brain having to tell it, you can think more clearly & effectively during a fight.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Very Food Agressive

Not a fan of Tae Kwon Do, it's sort of a McDojo martial art where it's overwrought and very generic with not much one on one interation. I'd try to find a dojo that teaches something less well known... Aikido, Jiu Jitsu, Ninjutsu, Judo, and Tang Soo Do are good arts to try out.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

I gained my 1st degree black belt in tae kwon do and my parents own a studio. It took me about 7 years to reach that level and trained for my 2nd degree for a few years but never tested out of it.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 05-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Very Food Agressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I gained my 1st degree black belt in tae kwon do and my parents own a studio. It took me about 7 years to reach that level and trained for my 2nd degree for a few years but never tested out of it.
Props to your parents! It sounds like they're running their school like a school instead of a black belt factory. All of the local schools here say its easy to get a black belt and most of their students get one in under 3 years.

One of our students in Jiu Jitsu classes was just at TKD nationals, placed 1st and 2nd in her class (she's a 2nd degree) She can put her foot through a wall, I'm convinced! TKD isn't all bad but there are a lot of commercialized schools around here that leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Top Dog

i'll also add, never bring a gee to a gunfight.
when asked by senior Marines why i didn't try to get my 3 mile run time below 22 minutes, my reply was "Seargent major, i'm fifth award expert, i don't need to run."
expert is the highest weapons qualification badge.