Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Is it polite to microwave fish at work?
Yes, I love the strong smell of fish and I think everyone agrees! 1 1.89%
Yes, if I want fish for lunch, my coworkers will just have to deal with it! 22 41.51%
No, you should not microwave fish at work- it's unfair for other coworkers to have to smell it 25 47.17%
Baked salmon and asparagus 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

I've never had a problem with my fish smelling. That's just odd. The most my fish smells is either tilapia if I've used a lot of garlic, or tuna steaks if I've used a lot of lemon pepper. That's it. Fish smells? So odd! Maybe the two days after if you never cleaned the kitchen...Or poorly prepared/cooked fish.

So I have no issues re-heating fish, and I've never had anyone complain. Quite opposite, really!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I love fish- I think it's wonderful! But it's one of those things I don't like to smell afterwards. Especially in confined spaces. Ick.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Are you dead yet?

No! Gross. More gross about the fact that it's leftover, microwaved fish and not so much gross about the smell.

I don't have a big problem with fish smells. I live on the sea and the smell of fish does not offend me at all. I don't like it in confined spaces, so I open windows or use air fresheners. Lemon and lime oils do wonders for eliminating fishy scents.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Oh I love fish!

I try not to cook it where it will bother people, but I would be upset if someone got on my case about it because I brought it once or twice. My coworkers annoy me too. If you're going to pester me about fish, I'm going to pester you about talking loudly on your phone in the break room. Fair is fair! =P

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I've never had a problem with my fish smelling. That's just odd. The most my fish smells is either tilapia if I've used a lot of garlic, or tuna steaks if I've used a lot of lemon pepper. That's it. Fish smells? So odd! Maybe the two days after if you never cleaned the kitchen...Or poorly prepared/cooked fish.

So I have no issues re-heating fish, and I've never had anyone complain. Quite opposite, really!
Fresh fish, cooked properly, should not smell bad. That said fresh fish around here doesn't exist, but frozen fish cooked from frozen doesn't smell bad either. I use a LOT of lemon on my fish, too.

One exception is catfish. It smells NASTY, but it also tastes nasty. It shouldn't even count as a fish lol!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Dafuq?

Mmmmm. Catfish. Now you got me wanting catfish nuggets.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 05-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Top Dog

I don't work but when I did I never once considered the smell of my food. Not something that crossed my mind. I really don't care enough to consider all the potential neurosis that other people may have. That would eliminate my eating anything at all. SOMEONE is going to have a problem with any food choice I make.

There is nothing wrong with reheated seafood. It tastes fine. I had some today.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post

Exactly. I definitely have never encountered a particularly potent fish smell when cooking my seafood. I guess that's why I never thought about it. It doesn't smell any more than any other food. I also wouldn't even consider apologizing for the smell of spices (like garlic, lemon pepper, or onion) from food. Most food just smells....good. lol Can't help that, sorry. When I walk into a business while employees are eating lunch it just makes me hungry. Certainly doesn't offend me.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Top Dog

a while back I had a coworker who was Russian - he microwaved fish soup topped with hard boiled eggs. It smelled sooooo bad.

My Boys
Chowder: 9 year old Chow mix
Eli: 2 year old Lab/Shar pei/Corgi mystery mutt
Old 05-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Trust me, microwaved fish leftovers smell. They just do. I love fish a lot, but it has a distinct smell. Maybe you don't smell it, but it's there.

I don't think being considerate is feeding into a "neurosis". Would you chow down garlic bread before going to the dentist (without brushing teeth)? When you are in confined spaces with people you have to be around ALL day, you should be considerate. Have good hygiene, use perfume sparingly, keep your noise level down, and don't cook stinky food. Lol. It's not being overly pc or, it's being considerate.