Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Professional Nerd

Default Jury Duty

I've been called for jury duty. It pays $30 a day. My daycare bill is $25 a day. I work for the city. I am only part time at 30 hours so they will not pay my salary difference. You would think that the city government would recognize your civic duties. I may only be 30 hours a week, but we depend on that salary to make ends meet. I serve for 3 months. I understand jury duty as being part of your civic duty, but bringing $5 a day whenever I have to be there is going to make things very difficult for us. Lovely system.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

Can you not claim economic hardship to get out of it? That's an option here and where I grew up.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

Beats where I am. I got $8 a day. Obviously it wouldn't have covered the cost of day care if we had needed it (heck, now it wouldn't even cover the gas to get to the court house). The only up side was my job- they paid me for the days I was out, and didn't mark down themas sick days, either. All I had to do was show them the notice that I was called for jury duty and sign the check from the county over to them.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

That really sucks

http://www.iowacourtsonline.org/Jury...ked_Questions/
Quote:
Also, the court has discretion to excuse someone from jury service upon a finding of hardship, inconvenience, or public necessity.

If you want to be excused from jury service, you should file a written request with the clerk of court as soon as possible after you receive the summons to serve.
Quote:
Pursuant to Iowa law, jurors receive $30 a day for serving up to seven days and are entitled to reimbursement for travel to and from the courthouse and for parking expenses. Jurors receive $50 per day for each day that exceeds seven days of service.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Yes, I would write and ask to be excused for economic hardship. Three months?? You have probably been called for a specific trial... perhaps they can instead switch you to "regular" jury duty which is just a week.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Resident fainting goat

Tell them you are a flaming racist man hating crazy person!!
and then show up and say you slept with one of the defendants.

:/ but seriously, that sucks. Regular jury duty is bad enough..

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

How it works here most people do not even end up having to show up. you call in the night before and they tell you to come or not. Of course I was one of the groups called and one of the hundred picked to be on the jury. They did ask if we wanted to be there or not for any reason and they would just let us go.

Judge did not care if your racist, for or against guns, hate baby's etc. his speech was actually kinda funny. He said it takes all types and it does. And honestly it's scary to think who can decide these things because the thinking of some people ( your peers) is just not there!

My cousins husband got called for one where he drives into Cleveland once a week for a year ( maybe its a full week a month)and sits on a grand jury.

I got $15 or $25 a day but I gave that back and my work pays me for serving jury duty.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 05-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
Judge did not care if your racist, for or against guns, hate baby's etc. his speech was actually kinda funny. He said it takes all types and it does. And honestly it's scary to think who can decide these things because the thinking of some people ( your peers) is just not there!
The judge SHOULD care if you have a prejudice that can sway your verdict. The attorneys will care too and can ask for you to be dismissed.

I had to show up every day I did jury duty though only one of the cases actually went to jury selection. It was a child molestation case. When it was my, the judge asked me if there were any reasons that might make me unable to be an impartial juror, and I said "yes," and he said "thank you for your candor, you may go." Didn't even ask me what or why.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
The judge SHOULD care if you have a prejudice that can sway your verdict. The attorneys will care too and can ask for you to be dismissed.

I had to show up every day I did jury duty though only one of the cases actually went to jury selection. It was a child molestation case. When it was my, the judge asked me if there were any reasons that might make me unable to be an impartial juror, and I said "yes," and he said "thank you for your candor, you may go." Didn't even ask me what or why.
But if your case does not deal with it what should it matter. Everyone is prejudice against something. And half the jury would be one way and half the other. This is why they ask a general do you need to go.

Our case dealt with white rich guys. No guns. No issues people could use to get out of it.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Felurian

The defense attorney and DA ask specific questions during voir dire and will strike you from the jury if your answers make them think you will be inclined to the other side. Most courts also have a number of strikes each side can use to dismiss jurors that they don't want without a reason, so even if you do get called in for voir dire you stand a good chance of getting dismissed.

So, even if you don't get an economic hardship bye you still have a good shot at being dismissed.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian