Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Big Dog

Question silly question but I need help!

Ok...this is kind of silly, but I need your ideas on a problem. Both of my dogs sleep outside at night, and both have blankets that they sleep on. They both have a doghouse, but they don't seem to ever go in it unless it is stormy. The problem that I have, is that probably at least once a day, they drag their blankets out into the yard (because I guess that is fun). Well that is fine until night time when it gets cool and their blankets arent on the deck or sheltered. THen the blankets get wet from the dew, and I catch the dogs asleep in the middle of the yard wherever they have drug the blankets to. Any ideas on how to keep the blenkets on the deck or in the doghouse? I tried a dog bed, but they just ripped them to pieces in a matter of days. It is starting to get cool at night and I want them to be able to stay warm!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Big Dog

I knew some would say that but its just not an option. My husband just wont let it happen. I live in Alabama so it really isn't that cold.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Big Dog

alrighty...no need to snap at me and accuse me of treating my dogs like "lawn ornaments." That is just rude. You don't know me or my dogs, and don't know how I treat them. I simply asked for advice on keeping BLANKETS on a deck. My dogs are treated very well and are loved very much. They life they have is so much better than where they came from. They are happy dogs who enjoy being outside. When they are inside, they want to go out. I understand the risks of leaving them outside at night, and feel that they are secure. I sincerely would appreciate if you don't judge me, or jump to conclusions please....
Old 11-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Big Dog

I am sorry if I came across as sarcastic. I, in no way, meant to offend you or anyone else. I just knew that your response would be one that was mentioned by someone. I know that my husband does not agree with your and many people's opinions of dog dynamics. Unfortunately, I haven't been successful in enlightening him otherwise. Thanks for your advice- I agree with you in many aspects. I would love to have my dogs inside, but obviously it is not worth creating un-necessary conflict.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Felurian

Serena, there really are some people out there who just cannot, will not open their minds about dogs in the house - especially men in the South. One of the things I've noticed living down here is that the people who move here from other places have their dogs in the house; some of the native southerners do, but when I run into someone whose dogs live outside, it's almost always a die-hard southern native. It's - I don't know. I don't understand it, but trust me, there's a real mind set; I think it's so culturally ingrained it's become genetic. Charley's Mom hated having the dogs in the house; that's one thing that Charley was more stubborn about than she was, and she quit griping as much when we pointed out to her that the dogs were no protection to her if they weren't inside.

Melissa's best bet through the winter is probably stuffing the dog houses with good clean straw. They'll still pull some of it out, but it's cheap, warm and dry and you can clean it out and replenish it easily. And even when they pull it out during the wet part of the year, it keeps their area from getting as muddy.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Big Dog

Thank you Renee and Serena. I will try and persuade with the crate option, and will try the straw option until then. I agree that it is something ingrained in my husband's southern mind. I am not from the south orginally, and did have dogs in the house growing up. His mindset is that although they are members of our family, and he does love them, they are still animals, and are not treated the same as human beings. He had many dogs growing up, but they were always outside. It is a hard thing to discuss with him, because he can't see my reasoning very well, and it is so different then the way his whole life has been. Thank you both just the same
Old 11-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

Both of our dogs are outside dogs and during the cold months, we scrub their doghouses and then we stuff straw in them. Throughout the winter, we check to make sure the straw isn't low, and if it is, we stuff more in. (Also, during really cold nights they sleep in the garage with blankets and a heater. They like that. )

(I'm trying to convince my mom and dad to let the dogs inside, but they don't see the need for it. And since our dogs aren't house broken, smell like 'dogs', would eat the cat alive, and are big, they aren't really ready to even cinsider letting them inside.)
Old 11-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Alpha Dog

Growing up in Mississippi, we had six beagles that stayed outside for the most part. Mom would let them in during real cold nights, but that was it. They did just fine. But then we were out in the country and had a fenced area and a huge shed for them to sleep in.... I always have my dogs inside at night now.

Chazhound
Old 11-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

I wish our dogs were inside dogs, but they HATE being inside (for long peroids of time anyway) and I feel that they are perfectly safe where they are. They are right up next to the house, have a nice sized kennel (smaller than a dog run, bigger than a norm. kennel) that is 6ft high and they get plenty of interaction and exercise. It just isn't really an option right now to have them inside. If we ever get another dog though, it will be inside.

Last edited by Rose's Gal; 11-29-2004 at 07:10 PM. Reason: sp problems! lol
Old 11-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Corgi bum

Melissa,

I totally understand what you are going through. My ex-husband was the same way with our dogs when we were married. He felt that dogs belonged outside, or in the back of his truck (which I also didn't like). We live in Oregon, and can have pretty extreme weather here. I FINALLY convinced him to allow the dogs to come in the house, buy they would have to stay on their beds, or rugs that I had strategically place in different parts of the house. He didn't allow them to run all over the house.

Now that I am re-married to an animal lover, my Corgi, Chloe sleeps in the family room on her bed, and my Doxie, Jackson Browne sleeps under the covers in our bed!! This is the only dog I have ever let in my bed...talk about spoiled....LOL

Hang in there girl....just take baby steps with him, and I'm sure you will get your way.

I think the crate idea is a good option for you. They feel secure in them at night.

Take care,
Dena
Closed Thread