Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I guess to me even if the breeder wants to pick the pup for you, that doesn't prevent you from also quietly picking the pup for you if you wish to do that. If both picks match -- great! Done deal. If not, talk about it or walk away and try again elsewhere.
Exactly... Payton was more or less picked for me. When I went to meet him, it was not required that I take him with me. I could have walked away.
When I got Auggie, there were two males that his breeder felt would work great for me, and it was my choice which one to take - or, she reminded me, I could wait until the next time she bred. I didn't HAVE to take either boy.

It's not like if the breeder picks a dog for you and you just don't feel the connection or whatever that you're just stuck with the dog.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

I've always wondered about this. I have always gone with the dog that 'clicked' with me. The problem is that even though I usually have a list of what I want/need in a dog both of my dogs have been pretty different than what the list suggested my dogs would be like. And thank God for that because they have both been what I needed and not what I thought I wanted.

Thankfully I'm a mutt person and shelters don't really force their choice on you. I really do have a few breeds that I've been interested in but if I go that route I will most likely go through a rescue where I have a little more choice.

That being said I do have quite a few friends who have let a breeder pick their puppy and all of them have been very happy with what they got. I've honestly never heard of a good breeder picking the wrong puppy for someone.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:49 AM
and Fozzie B!

Personally, I want input on the puppy that I'm paying $1000+ for, that I'm not rescuing a dog in need for, and that I'm going to spend 15 years with! That's me though. Not to say that I wouldn't go with a pup that the breeder recommends for me... as long as I feel that puppy is right for me as well.

My Cardigan breeder, at the last minute, told me that my reserved for months puppy was going to the stud owner and offered me a pet quality black & white male. I wanted a show quality blue merle female! No thank you. I went and adopted Fozzie instead, and I'm glad I did. Then I noticed on her website a month later that the puppy that I was a week away from picking up turned out to be a BRINDLE merle, unshowable, so the stud owner gave her back and she was up for sale. It made me a little sad, because I would have kept her of course. But I feel it was just meant to be that I got Fozzie. I trust my instincts.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

In the future, I'd love to have a breeder pick a dog for me, with my input too of course. But like it's already been said, I feel like if you are a good breeder, you know your pups better than anyone from raising them from the second they were born.

I realize how lucky I was to get Jackson. Looking back, I was so stupid. I don't even like to call her a "breeder" haha - because she literally just bred her pet dog and sold them in the classifieds section, and did not ask about anything about me and my life. She was nice and all, but a complete BYB.

I think about if I had ended up with a dog that just completely did not mesh with me at ALL. I probably would have been ruined from dog ownership forever, being as he was my first dog on my own haha. Basically though I realize how darn lucky I was to get the best dog I could have asked for under the circumstances... in the future I can't wait to work with a breeder in choosing a puppy, and seeing what it's like to have that support behind me too for the rest of the pups life.