Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 AM
such sights to show you

Not once have I stated I thought the touch was sexual or the guy was a molester -- that is something OTHER people are projecting on ME.

A touch can be inappropriately familiar without being sexual in nature! Seriously, children are not the property of adults to be handled however we wish. A child has as much right to personal boundaries as an adult does. And objecting to ONE type of touch doesn't magically equate to wanting to live in a world where there is no human contact. No more than thinking this touch was perfectly fine means that someone just wants to live in a world where anything goes and strangers can run up and grab my boobs whenever they like. Strawmen are fun!!

And yes, I would still find it inappropriate if the counselor were a woman.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

going back to the news here , there are just as many women doing bad things in the news as men. ANY ONE should keep there hands to themselves. especially in a reprimanding situation .

Seven , I do agree in a sense , but IMO it is better to be vigilant than to deal with the fallout.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
No, this one is on the counselor. The PROFESSIONAL. Who should KNOW better.
I've already stated my stance on that matter.

In ANY situation, even if one person "should know better", if a child is uncomfortable, they should say it. It is the job of tw adult figure to teach said child to state when she is uncomfortable the FIRST time it happens.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 AM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
No more than thinking this touch was perfectly fine means that someone just wants to live in a world where anything goes and strangers can run up and grab my boobs whenever they like.
Did you really just equate a touch on the knee from someone confronting your child for lying to a random adult running up and grabbing your boobs? If it was a random person walking up and touching your kid's knee for no reason, I'D find it inappropriate. But it wasn't.

Perhaps you should teach your child not to lie, if she doesn't want to be confronted?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Know better than to do what, exactly? New scenario: Female counselor puts her hand on boy's knee to console him because he's sad. Creepy, or motherly?
The gender of the counselor matters not. This is NOT ethical professional behavior.

And the knee -- even though it's still pushing personal space -- isn't the same as the inside of the thigh, even close to the knee.

Reporting it to the counselor's superior was the appropriate action, especially in light of finding out this wasn't an isolated incident. It's not like Smkie rushed to the DA's office to file sexual molestation charges.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Seven , I know you really dont know the back story or the players , But I assure Smkie is teaching her grandchild about lying. Just sayin so you dont think she is mindlessly defending her grandchild cause "she could do no wrong" Smkie is realilstic in what the people in her life are and are not.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 AM
*Now with Snark*

I'm going out on a limb and will say it's probably much ado about nothing but it might be worth saying something to the school principal. Even if it's a FYI my daughter didn't feel comfortable in this situation.

Some people are just touchier feelier than others. I have a co worker who can't talk to you at a table unless she's tapping your hand about something. I have a supervisor who is a shoulder grabber/hand shaker and probably would be a knee grabber as well if the opportunity arose.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:30 AM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
The gender of the counselor matters not. This is NOT ethical professional behavior.

And the knee -- even though it's still pushing personal space -- isn't the same as the inside of the thigh, even close to the knee.

Reporting it to the counselor's superior was the appropriate action, especially in light of finding out this wasn't an isolated incident. It's not like Smkie rushed to the DA's office to file sexual molestation charges.
You completely failed to actually answer the question I posed.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:32 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
Did you really just equate a touch on the knee from someone confronting your child for lying to a random adult running up and grabbing your boobs? If it was a random person walking up and touching your kid's knee for no reason, I'D find it inappropriate. But it wasn't.
You have completely, absolutely missed my point, because no I didn't equate those things AT ALL. Which was that one statement/conclusion was just as ridiculous to draw from one's opinion on knee-touching as the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I've already stated my stance on that matter.

In ANY situation, even if one person "should know better", if a child is uncomfortable, they should say it. It is the job of tw adult figure to teach said child to state when she is uncomfortable the FIRST time it happens.
It would be nice if we lived in a world where twelve year old children were always confident enough to stand up to people in authority over them. This is getting perilously close to "blame the victim" mentality for my tastes. (ETA: And NO, before someone projects this on me too, I'm not saying that the child in the OP was a "victim"... I'm using it as a general term for the general situation I'm quoting.)

Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Ok I jut went back and read the "inside and front" part about were he touched her, and honestly, it sounds like he went to touch the knee. The leaning in part? Sounds like he was trying to make eye contact. I just true t on myself, and when you touch the knee, yah, your hand may brush the inside. I can only assume it would be more so for a child.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13