Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-20-2012, 09:31 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Dang, you've been to a LOT different meetings than I have, that's for sure. If a business colleague put their hand on the INSIDE of my knee and leaned in to talk right in my face? NO. Nor have I ever been (or would want to be) hugged or kissed at a business meeting.

This exactly. This was not a pat on the back or a quick shoulder squeeze, the inside of the knee is off limits IMO. Children are not property for adults to handle however they like.

And no, whether she was lying or not has nothing to do with it, IMO. There are ways to get to the bottom of something that don't involve invading personal space.

exactly. thank you

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-20-2012, 09:39 AM
swimming upstream

it was inappropriate--even from the level of the counselor not wanting to put himself in a bad position--easy for anyone to misinterpret this body language. But, if it made You or her uncomfortable--then that should be addressed, and respected. And smkie--I will add (and you already know this in your heart)--never ever think someone else knows your kid better than you do. They may have the "education" and theories, but you know your child with your heart and intuition. Listen to it.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
That to me is really creepy. And it doesn't really sound like Fran's scenario where the councilor was just huggy because he cared a lot about the kids.

He was combining a familiar/intimate touch with a reprimand. I love my kids and show them affection, but I don't do it as I'm reprimanding them. That combo by itself is weird. For it to be coming from an adult male school counselor? Just... doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.
Totally with Romy on this one, and I've worked on enough cases of false charges of rape/molestation to be pretty sensitive about not getting paranoid.

Even if it WERE a completely innocent pattern of behavior, it's one that should be abandoned. Quickly. Someone should have called him on it before.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

It will never ever ever ever ever happen again that I will not trust my heart and what I feel about Hyia. I told her I was so sorry. Sorry for everything she has to go through but most sorry for not believing her and taking her home.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 AM
such sights to show you

Interesting, I described this scenario to my husband and asked him what he thought, and he said "Well it's really poor judgement, and I don't think a parent would be overreacting to find it inappropriate, but within the context of being confrontational I don't think it was really out of line."

Wonder how much of a gender difference there is in the perception of this?

Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THat is why I wrote about it on here. I wanted many different perspectives as to what people thought.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 AM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Interesting, I described this scenario to my husband and asked him what he thought, and he said "Well it's really poor judgement, and I don't think a parent would be overreacting to find it inappropriate, but within the context of being confrontational I don't think it was really out of line."

Wonder how much of a gender difference there is in the perception of this?
I'm going to go ahead and say that there seems to be quite a bit of an issue here when it comes to the fact that this was a man. Apparently, a touch on the knee from a man = creepy, and likely a child molester. If it was a WOMAN who did this, how many of you wanting to beat down this person's door and flag him as a pedophile would even bat an eye?

Like someone else said, humans use body language. Unfortunately, we're at a point where people don't even have to talk to each other anymore, and will literally sit not a couple feet apart and TEXT rather than actually speak, so does it really surprise anyone that actually physically touching another human being has become almost taboo?

The counselor put his hand on the kid's knee and some of you are acting like the guy was practically feeling up her inner thigh. You're TEACHING these children to over-sexualize everything, particularly when it comes to men.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Love My Mutt <3

It sounds like it may have all been prevented if you had taught her to say when she's uncomfortable.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Felurian

No, this one is on the counselor. The PROFESSIONAL. Who should KNOW better.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 AM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
No, this one is on the counselor. The PROFESSIONAL. Who should KNOW better.
Know better than to do what, exactly? New scenario: Female counselor puts her hand on boy's knee to console him because he's sad. Creepy, or motherly?