Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Question- breeders?

If you were looking at getting a dog in 2 years and the breeder you are interested in doesn't breed but once every 1-2 years, is it too early to contact them? Would you keep it informal and just say who you are and kind of a brief what you're looking for and when and that you're just sending out emails to try to start getting to know breeders or would you fill out the puppy application?

Also, if the puppy application is 3 pages of questions long, is it too long for your finished application to be 7 pages long? Would you answer briefly and expect to get more questions asked later or would you answer in depth to try to clarify things?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I'd contact. I'm not looking for another dog for 5 years probably, and I already know the breeder, and have talked with her, etc.

I'd keep it at 7 pages long

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I would contact. I've already contacted the Boerboel breeder that I am very much interested in, we even have talked on the phone.

I think its a great idea to have a relationship with the breeder, and I find they keep you updated with their dogs and such

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Resident fainting goat

Keep it long and contact early.
The way I see it, trying to appear less excited/over-prepared/eager to a breeder is like trying to look like someone who eats salads on the first date when you really don't.. you, hopefully, are going to have a relationship with this person, either they like you the way you are or they don't! lol

My breeder application was at least 3 pages longer then the original. and included an already LONG email message attached to it lol and one of the solidifying reasons I picked the breeder I did was because, SHE LOVED IT and we hit it off.

Some breeders might like the hands off approach where you only talk when puppies are on the ground and one little emails.. but if that isn't you.. then why would you want a breeder who wants that kind of relationship? Worse comes to worse the breeder shakes their head and deletes the email or gives you a "WOAH EASY THERE" rude response.. but either way, at least they are turning you down for who you are and you can go find a breeder who will LOVE the long application long email super eager dog owner you are! lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Keep it long and contact early.
The way I see it, trying to appear less excited/over-prepared/eager to a breeder is like trying to look like someone who eats salads on the first date when you really don't.. you, hopefully, are going to have a relationship with this person, either they like you the way you are or they don't! lol

My breeder application was at least 3 pages longer then the original. and included an already LONG email message attached to it lol and one of the solidifying reasons I picked the breeder I did was because, SHE LOVED IT and we hit it off.

Some breeders might like the hands off approach where you only talk when puppies are on the ground and one little emails.. but if that isn't you.. then why would you want a breeder who wants that kind of relationship? Worse comes to worse the breeder shakes their head and deletes the email or gives you a "WOAH EASY THERE" rude response.. but either way, at least they are turning you down for who you are and you can go find a breeder who will LOVE the long application long email super eager dog owner you are! lol
My past breeders have been like that and while I'm really happy with my dogs, since I'm getting a new breed I'd like a bit more than that now. The breeder seems to like to talk about her dogs on her website and all that and has bios of all the puppies she's produced and pics from their owners.

Would it be too much to link her to my flickr account and Mia and Summer's flickr albums? (My thought process is so they can kind of see my dogs' life on there)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Dafuq?

I'm not a breeder but I think if I were, there would be no such thing as too much information. Share your Flickr stuff.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
I'm not a breeder but I think if I were, there would be no such thing as too much information. Share your Flickr stuff.
^ This.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Top Dog

I contacted my breeder over 2 yrs in advance, we are now great friends even though no pups have been conceived yet
Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Top Dog

A lot if breeders who don't breed very often have long waiting lists for their puppies, so no, contacting a year or two in advance would be a great idea.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Twin 2.0

I would contact. I first contacted my breeder in 2004. It's now 2012 and I'm finally getting a pup. I might keep my answers succinct though and answer more fully when they call to discuss. Honestly, my whole "intro" was about 6 sentences and then when the breeder called, we ended up talking about 1 1/2 hours straight, which probably told him a lot more than I could have put together on a puppy app.