Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
Ditto that. Responsibility being the KEY word!

When we first got Phoebe from the humane society, she was approx. 8 months old, and she was also a trash raiding, chewing, digging, door dasher. And yes, she escaped out the front door, but we went after her (cause you know, that's what owners who love their pet would do) and were VERY blessed nothing happened. We set to work training RIGHT AWAY because that is the responsible response in addition to precautions and leashes. Ask smkie about old Pepper vs new improved Pepper.

THIS WAS RIGHT AT THE END OF THE GUY'S STREET......if the dog had just slipped a lead or accidentally escaped, where was the guy? Didn't seem to be out searching for the dog.

For those of you who are saying stuff like.... "for a forum of dog lovers....." Seriously? It's NOT the dog you are defending, you are defending an IRRESPONSIBLE owner who wants sympathy for HELPING end the life of that dog.
I feel sympathy for anyone who loses a pet they loved, even if their irresponsibility put the dog in that position. I would really hope that if a member here had a dog get loose and had it killed horribly people on here would show more sympathy than they are to this owner. When I hit that cat a few weeks ago I hoped like crazy that nobody was sitting at their house waiting for their cat to come home, because even if they put the cat in the position to be hit by a car, losing a beloved pet is always awful.

As I said before, I don't care why the dog was loose, I don't want to live in a community where some psychopath can hack a dog to death and the authorities let it slide. That IS NOT OK, even if the dog was in his yard, even if the dog had been in his yard before. What I would like to see is less anger for the owner (even if he did act irresponsibly) and more anger for a person that would deliberately chase down and SLAUGHTER A DOG WITH A MACHETE. To be focusing on the owner only is very much missing the point IMHO.

Maybe I would feel differently if this was a year ago, but I lost Sheena in a traumatic, horrible and confusing way last June and I feel awful for anyone having to feel even a fraction of what I felt that day. No dog should have to go through that, but no owner should have to either.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 AM
<--------Orson

I guess what I'm failing to properly convey is this: If you had so little regard for your pet in LIFE, then I must assume you don't feel much for that same pet in DEATH.

An accidental escape, while still your responsibility, is NOT the same as a pattern of behavior. The pattern displayed with this man...........as demonstrated with his other dog trotting loose by his side. The pattern mentioned on the news report stating it was not the first time the dog had been REPORTED being in the other man's yard (so how many times were UNreported?)

Did I feel for sparks when Teddy had his accident? YES! Would I feel for a member who constantly posted they let their dog roam loose and THEN the dog had an accident? Nope. I would feel for the dog though.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
For those of you who are saying stuff like.... "for a forum of dog lovers....." Seriously? It's NOT the dog you are defending, you are defending an IRRESPONSIBLE owner who wants sympathy for HELPING end the life of that dog.

I'm saying it because if you go back and read the earlier responses they aren't 'omg someone CHASED A DOG DOWN AND KILLED IT WITH A MACHETE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET' it was more 'well... sucks for the dog. guy with machete is crazy but totally the owners fault.

Irresponsible dog owners annoy me too. If this guys dog just got ran over and he was throwing this fit I'd probably be leaning toward the 'well he wasn't responsible and this stuff happens'. I think it's a little different with some crazy guys runs out slashes your dog up with a machete in the middle of the street and you have to find your mutilated dog in front of your house but that's just me.

So my reason for saying that isn't because I'm defending the irresponsible dog owner. It's because most of these replies are totally glossing over what happened to this dog just so people can call out the owner who isn't even a member here. We're on a dog forum but instead of focusing on the horrific act that happened to this dog.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

We're not glossing it over, but I'll be damned if I cry a tear for the owner and join ranks with him to fight this "injustice".

The machete guy is a nutjob. He obviously needs some police intervention in his life, as well as psychologists, psychotherapists, and very strong meds.

But this story didn't start with "crazy psycho attacks dog with machete". It started with "repeatedly irresponsible owners refuses to restrain/contain his dogs despite the issues they face roaming the streets" (not to mention other animals and people).

So no. I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon with this dog owner as a driver. I'd rather throw him under it.

ETA: I can't even begin to count the number of owners, who came into the clinic with their injured dogs/cats, and ranted and raved about suing the person who hit/ran over their pet or put a few pellets (or real bullets) in their pets. Of course it was the other person's fault for not swerving and turning their car I over in a ditch in order to keep cutsie woofiekins safe from harm. And it was also the livestock owner's fault for not gently shooing the dog away from his horses/cows/whatever, or for not catching the dog and spending countless days and dollars trying to find the owner, despite the dog trying it's darnedest to sink it's teeth into some beef.

I've even walked out on such an irate owner so I could roll my eyes and release my irritation before going back in and describing leash laws, owner responsibilities, and how they could be sued for damages to the damaged vehicles or livestock based on their negligent actions.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Obey the Toad.

A dog being deliberately killed in that manner IS an injustice, I will certainly cry a tear for him as well as those who loved him--he did not deserve to die in this manner and nobody deserves to find their pet hacked to bits.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

There is a huge difference between a dog getting hit by a car and someone purposefully chasing it down it a weapon and killing it.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:55 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
I guess what I'm failing to properly convey is this: If you had so little regard for your pet in LIFE, then I must assume you don't feel much for that same pet in DEATH.
Well that's a heck of an assumption. People make different decisions about their pets about all kinds of things. If I knew every detail about their lives, I could probably find something that every single person on this forum does differently than me that doesn't live up to my "standards", and every single person here could probably find something I do that doesn't live up to "their" standards. Doesn't mean none of us have any regard for our pets' lives.

For example... my dogs ride loose in the car. Guess when they die no one should feel sad because I have so little regard for them.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Felurian

The "justice" isn't for the owner -- it's for Mijo, and any other animal that is the victim of psychotic cruelty.

If Machetefreak had done that here he would be facing criminal conviction -- he might honestly never make it to court. If someone said "I was walking down the street and he came running out with a machete" and dropped him there wouldn't likely be more than a cursory investigation.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
The "justice" isn't for the owner -- it's for Mijo, and any other animal that is the victim of psychotic cruelty.

If Machetefreak had done that here he would be facing criminal conviction -- he might honestly never make it to court. If someone said "I was walking down the street and he came running out with a machete" and dropped him there wouldn't likely be more than a cursory investigation.
This.

The owner isn't even acting crazy and demanding money. This owner just wants charges brought against this guy.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

I haven't read the whole thread -but- I honestly don't think the owner is responsible for his own dog's death. I also don't believe he was an irresponsible pet owner.
Accidents happen. Pets get out, because someone left the gate open, or the dog learned open the gate (ehem, Gipsy), or the slipped the leash. ALL these things have happened to us. I don't think it makes us irresponible pet owners. I think in the 12 years we've had Gipsy she's gotten out a few times, because she learned to open the gate, or because she can open doors, she slipped the leash ect. When she slipped the leash, we bought a new leash, when she learned to open the door, we locked the door and when she learned to open the gate we put a rope around it so it won't open when you push the handle down. This doesn't make you an irresponsible pet own and it doesn't excuse someone hitting your dog with anything.
Everyone in my parent's neighbourhood keeps their dog off leash - we do too - Gipsy listens to commands and has never wondered off. It could happen though, but really? I would expect it to be common decency to not kill my dog. If you're afraid of a dog you call the police unless he is literally bitting you or a family member and you need to defend yourself. This dog was standing in the yard and barking. That hardly qualifies for needing to defend yourself.
There used to be a dog a few streets down that was an escape artist. Their fence grew higher and higher over the years and still he got out. His owners were pretty responsible - they ALWAYS had him on a leash and never let him out in the yard alone ect. I still brought him home countless times, because he jumper our fence to place with Gipsy. He slipped the leash a few times while I was bringing him home.

Accidents just happen. Dogs & cats get out, kids run off in supermarkets, people forget to shut gates.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.