Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Kat09Tails's Avatar
Kat09Tails Kat09Tails is offline
*Now with Snark*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upper Left hand corner, USA
Posts: 3,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Accidents DO happen and sometimes they aren't anyone's fault -- they just are. No one's denying (that I can see) that not having your dog contained is fraught with peril for your dog, but the poor dog wasn't "asking for it."
First off I can start a net rumor with a sentence. There is no proof anyone killed anything except this dog.

As far as the dog asking for it... how many of us have had dogs who were "sweet as can be" with their owners not so sweet when their owners aren't there? We don't know if that dog was aggressive or not. I do know now he was an unaltered male dog who jumped the fence to "be with a female dog" according to his owner. Being aggressive and a little humpy isn't out of the question.

As far as using a machete - it isn't pretty but in a pinch you use what you have at hand. I see no proof this guy chased down anything. The only thing I do have proof of was the dog wasn't in the yard, and the dog is dead due to machete. I see no evidence that either of them are liars on either side of this from their point of view so all I'm left with is the evidence at hand.

I too hope my neighbors are pet lovers enough that they would never use a machete on a dog. I also hope that I'm a good enough neighbor that I never put them in a position to have the thought run through their mind.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 PM
sparks19's Avatar
sparks19 sparks19 is online now
I'd rather be at Disney
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 28,290
Default

I understand there are dogs that are good off leash but why would any reasonable person risk that after one of their dogs was just hacked to death by a neighbor? There is no way I would let dog #2 have even a sniff of an opportunity of getting out of my sight.

I really do fear dog #2 will be next if the authorities decide to do nothing.
__________________
Quote:

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”


G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney






Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:03 AM
goldiefur's Avatar
goldiefur goldiefur is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,213
Default

The way I look at it is you have to keep your dog on a leash and your cats inside because they have people out there that hate animals with a passion and are just waiting for an opportunity to kill a animal. It took me 30 some odd years to realize this because I met a puke bag that feels like this about pit bulls and has said he is just waiting for the day for one to cross his path so he can blow it's head off innocent or not. Nothing personally had happened to him or his family he is just a nut job that hates pit bulls but it was a huge wake up call to me.

It would be very hard for me to even hit a dog until it was actually biting me or my family or pets. There is no way I would want to kill it unless it was an absolute dire situation. I do have to say I was raised with plenty of dogs since the day I was born and I can read them like a book I know if a dog is scared, wanting to attack or just plain barking and I do understand that some people can't read them and have irrational fear of dogs. Since the woman came forward about finding her dalmation hacked up I think they are dealing with a freak that just wants to kill animals. I believe she lives across the street from Mijo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:11 AM
Dizzy's Avatar
Dizzy Dizzy is offline
Sit! Good dog.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 17,497
Default

Very sad, but why was the dog just wandering around the streets?

Eta - if anyone did that to my dog, they would suffer. I'd kill them. I'm just not sure why they were able to get the opportunity
__________________
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."


Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein


Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:59 AM
ACooper's Avatar
ACooper ACooper is offline
<--------Orson
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: IN
Posts: 27,688
Default

No, I'm not buying the 'slipped lead' Really? He slipped the lead and dude didn't follow or try to catch him? It was only at the end of his street.........come on What's the first thing any of us would do if our dog slipped the lead? Go back in the house for a cold beverage and rest?

News report said it wasn't the first time in the neighbor's yard either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
For a dog forum quite a few people are siding with the the guy who chased down and killed a dog with a machete and I find that pretty shocking.
Siding with the machete sicko? Um.....no, I think EVERYONE agrees he's a monster who needs mental help. I am just beyond sick of so many in this country who don't see to THEIR OWN responsibilities and then cry foul as soon as it goes wrong.

Let your cat roam free if you like. Let your dog roam free as well. Be prepared to step up and take the consequences though, no finger pointing, no law suits and whining. This owner is NOT a victim.......the only victim is the poor dog. Period.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
There's just something wrong with someone who hacks dogs with machetes. I don't even care whose fault it was, I'm just glad that psycho isn't MY neighbor.
Oh I think authorities need to take note and keep an eye on him for sure!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 AM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
Siding with the machete sicko? Um.....no, I think EVERYONE agrees he's a monster who needs mental help. I am just beyond sick of so many in this country who don't see to THEIR OWN responsibilities and then cry foul as soon as it goes wrong.

Let your cat roam free if you like. Let your dog roam free as well. Be prepared to step up and take the consequences though, no finger pointing, no law suits and whining. This owner is NOT a victim.......the only victim is the poor dog. Period.

You know, I've read several responses to this effect, and they've been bothering me but I haven't been able to put my finger on it until this morning. So, not picking on you particularly but just happened to have my moment after reading your post.

The thing is... yes, the dog shouldn't have been loose. Yes, the dog had been in the neighbor's yard before. And yes, it's the owner's responsibility to keep his dog contained, but... the dog wasn't taken away by AC, or accidentally hit by a car, or someone thought it was a stray and kept it, it was pursued and hacked to death with a machete. (And yes I believe the location of the blood trail and wounds suggest the dog was hit "going" so to speak.)

We don't jail people for 20 years for jaywalking. We don't execute them for smoking pot. And it is just flat out, crazy wrong to kill a dog with a machete for coming into your yard and yes, I have a LOT of sympathy for the owner even if it was his "fault" because what happened was waaaaaaay outside of any kind of consequence that any normal, reasonable person might expect. Just imagine finding your dog like that and tell me again you don't have any sympathy for the guy because IT WAS HIS FAULT THE DOG WAS LOOSE!!!11!!1 Jesus.

The neighbor is crazy and a menace to society. The End.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 AM
sparks19's Avatar
sparks19 sparks19 is online now
I'd rather be at Disney
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 28,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
No, I'm not buying the 'slipped lead' Really? He slipped the lead and dude didn't follow or try to catch him? It was only at the end of his street.........come on What's the first thing any of us would do if our dog slipped the lead? Go back in the house for a cold beverage and rest?

News report said it wasn't the first time in the neighbor's yard either.



Siding with the machete sicko? Um.....no, I think EVERYONE agrees he's a monster who needs mental help. I am just beyond sick of so many in this country who don't see to THEIR OWN responsibilities and then cry foul as soon as it goes wrong.

Let your cat roam free if you like. Let your dog roam free as well. Be prepared to step up and take the consequences though, no finger pointing, no law suits and whining. This owner is NOT a victim.......the only victim is the poor dog. Period.




Oh I think authorities need to take note and keep an eye on him for sure!
This this this.

Yes I'm sure it was horrific for him to find his dog that way. If he had learned any kind of lesson I might feel a bit more sympathy for him yet here he is still letting his other dog walk around off lead. Will you feel bad for him if the second dog ends up the same way?
__________________
Quote:

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”


G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney






Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM
ACooper's Avatar
ACooper ACooper is offline
<--------Orson
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: IN
Posts: 27,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Just imagine finding your dog like that and tell me again you don't have any sympathy for the guy because IT WAS HIS FAULT THE DOG WAS LOOSE!!!11!!1 Jesus.

The neighbor is crazy and a menace to society. The End.
I can most definitely tell you again and again and again......I do not have sympathy for anyone who slacks their responsibilities and then boo hoos when it comes back to bite them in the arse, especially when they've had ample warnings and time to fix mistakes before tragedy strikes. I have sympathy for the dog, tons of sympathy for the dog, but not one ounce for this owner who has repeatedly let the dog run loose.

And yes, crazy neighbor is CRAZY and needs to be watched at the very least.

To equate: I have neighbors across the way who let their tiny children 'run loose' We are talking 2-3 year olds, TODDLERS. Mom & dad party all night and sleep all day.......kids let themselves outside and roam. They have been returned home BUCK NAKED by officers from around the corner. Police have been called by the mail carrier because the kids followed her and wouldn't stay in the yard. I have went over and pounded on the door because one of them was STANDING on the satellite dish 2 stories high....IN THE RAIN! I could keep listing instances, but you get the idea.

When/if something horrible happens to one or more of those children I will feel TERRIBLE for the kid. He!!, I feel terrible for the kids NOW. Authorities don't seem to care or do anything. But I will flat out say right now.........NO SYMPATHY for those parents..........NONE. They will be on the news crying saying "I just looked away for a minute......" Pfffffffffffffffft. No sympathy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:51 AM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 5,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Will you feel bad for him if the second dog ends up the same way?
I feel bad for anyone who loses someone they love. Even if it was "their fault", and even if I think they should have done things differently... it is still sad, isn't it?

ETA: I mean, there's a difference between using this as a lesson in or illustration of why it's so important to keep your dog controlled, and essentially saying "welp, that guy deserved it, no sympathy." I dunno.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 AM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 4,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
You know, I've read several responses to this effect, and they've been bothering me but I haven't been able to put my finger on it until this morning. So, not picking on you particularly but just happened to have my moment after reading your post.

The thing is... yes, the dog shouldn't have been loose. Yes, the dog had been in the neighbor's yard before. And yes, it's the owner's responsibility to keep his dog contained, but... the dog wasn't taken away by AC, or accidentally hit by a car, or someone thought it was a stray and kept it, it was pursued and hacked to death with a machete. (And yes I believe the location of the blood trail and wounds suggest the dog was hit "going" so to speak.)

We don't jail people for 20 years for jaywalking. We don't execute them for smoking pot. And it is just flat out, crazy wrong to kill a dog with a machete for coming into your yard and yes, I have a LOT of sympathy for the owner even if it was his "fault" because what happened was waaaaaaay outside of any kind of consequence that any normal, reasonable person might expect. Just imagine finding your dog like that and tell me again you don't have any sympathy for the guy because IT WAS HIS FAULT THE DOG WAS LOOSE!!!11!!1 Jesus.

The neighbor is crazy and a menace to society. The End.
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site