Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 PM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
Oh a for the food, i can't afford anything that's all meat. I was planning to ease him into Purina smart blend. Any thoughts?

We posted at the same time

Purina isn't any better. Before the recalls, I would have recommended Diamond because it's inexpensive and corn-free. Now, I'm not quite sure what is in the price range of the more unhealthy foods that offers a better nutritional value.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Felurian

I'd steer clear of anything manufactured by Diamond. Recalls.

Check out www.dogfoodproject.com. Mordy's info will show you how to read labels, what to look for and what to avoid so you can make a good, informed decision on your own that fits within your budget

One thing to look at is the calorie/nutrient content. The more nutrient dense, high calorie foods take less to feed and are often significantly less expensive in real cost than "cheap" foods!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Mitch & Erin

Thanks for the links. I didn't know not to take him anywhere for awhile. That's a really helpful tip, because right now he barks at anything bigger than him. I'll look into some good food and treats.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Yeah, I spoke with my very pro-raw vet about the raw+kibble issue (she is a holistic vet and has done a lot of additional research into raw feeding), and she seemed fine with it. As do nutritionists like Mordy and Monica Segal. As long as they are okay with it, I'm okay with it.

IME a lot of the people out there saying raw+kibble in the same meal is terrible are hardcore raw people who are using it as a scare tactic to get people 100% off kibble.
This. I feed kibble and raw together quite often, and I've never had an issue with my dogs, nor any of my foster dogs.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Mitch & Erin

I switched his food yesterday, and also got him some canned food. He seems to be eating a lot better, so I'm starting to think he just didn't like the Science Diet. No worries there, that stuff was too expensive and smelt awful.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Felurian

Once you start learning to decipher all the misleading stuff on the labels you know why the stuff stinks!

Glad to hear he is eating better now

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian