Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Default Hge

Anyone have a dog that went through/has had it?

I had to take Kiba to the vet after what I thought was a upset tummy do to a food switch quickly turned to HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis). She's home with subq fluids, a shot of anti nausua meds, and some metronidazole, and I'll be following up in the morning with our regular vet.

Hopefully it's a one time, uneventful recovery, but if you have any spare vibes we'd sure appreciate it. I never want to see my dog throwing up, or voiding blood EVER AGAIN.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Top Dog

Ginger had something similar years ago. Hers was not actual HGE, but it acted the same. I agree, waking up to your dog (and floors) covered in blood is horrifying. In her case, she had to have IV fluids and was hospitalized for several days, but she had some liver enzyme issues as well.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Top Dog

You've got tons of vibes headed your way! I have not personally had a dog with HGE, but have seen them at the clinic. Most of them go home with meds and are fine, but we have had some that needed to be hospitalized for a couple days. It's definitely scary to deal with!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:41 AM
...ice road...

Oh man, I would lose it if there was blood coming out of any orifice Vibes for a speedy recovery and NO re-occurrences!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 AM
Top Dog

YES! It was awful.

It was Abby (avatar) and she started vomiting in the early afternoon, but seemed herself, so I figured it was just an upset stomach that would right itself. I remember that she went out and ate some grass and I thought that was that.

During the night she vomited a couple of more times, but again seemed ok... fine within herself just vomiting and settling again. I thought at the time that we'd have to go to the vet in the morning if she kept that up.

Fast forward to 4 am in the morning, she woke me up to run outside and she was passing blood. It absolutely freaked me out and we rushed to the emergency vet. It was actually diagnosed as mild HGE... and by the sounds of other stories I have heard it may have been mild, but it was still pretty scary at the time.

Her recovery was fine. Medication was given, she was fasted for 24 hours and bland food after that for a while. She was just really, really tired for the next day or so, but fine by the next day. Thankfully, she hasn't had a repeat. I wish Kiba as easy a recovery as Abby and NO repeats either. Truly not a nice experience. Vibes are heading your way.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:44 AM
and Fozzie B!

Gonzo had HGE last year, after eating nothing but Orijen for months. Just out of the blue. He vomited a fountain of blood.... so so horrifying.

Gonzo had a horrible case, he could not eat food & was dehydrated/exhausted for weeks, so he had to stay at the Vet on an IV that whole time. I took him home finally, because it had already cost so much, to TRY to get him to eat & I did if I spoonfed him small amounts all day. My advice is getting her to eat lots of tiny meals of chicken and rice. Gonzo would eat it if I mixed in cottage cheese.

It sounds like Kiba doesn't have a bad case, if she's home with you. The metronidazole helps a lot. I really hope she recovers quickly, poor baby Kiba!!! It's awesome that she is with you and doesn't have the added stress of being at the Vet.

Make sure you get her on good probitiocs. I didn't after Gonzo's episode, and he got a horrible internal yeast infection from the meds ridding him of all of his good bactera. After recovering from that, he has been totally healthy. I'm just REALLY careful of what he eats & he always gets probiotics. He's on raw now (only the 3 meat sources that he does really well on, plus vitamins/supps) and healthier than any 13 year-old dog I know.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 05-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Top Dog

Yep, Abby's was definitely mild... no blood in vomit and was sent home with me straight away. Sounds like Kiba is similar MericoX.

Grab and Ihartgonzo... my goodness, you poor things!! Thank goodness they recovered in time.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Thanks everyone for thinking of Kiba.
She made it through the night, came home and had a few more accidents but they were decreasing and size and more clotty, and no more vomitting. Slept through the night with no issues, except my lack of sleep, and even ate some dropped cereal off the floor this morning.

I'm taking back the food I had started switching them to and going back to what they were on before (California Naturals), and will probably switch her to something for pancreatic dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Make sure you get her on good probitiocs. I didn't after Gonzo's episode, and he got a horrible internal yeast infection from the meds ridding him of all of his good bactera. After recovering from that, he has been totally healthy. I'm just REALLY careful of what he eats & he always gets probiotics. He's on raw now (only the 3 meat sources that he does really well on, plus vitamins/supps) and healthier than any 13 year-old dog I know.
Very good to know, thank you! I will get her some to start in a few days. She'll probably just get some broth/rice today.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

Yes, Mini had a bout of HGE a couple of years ago. She almost died. In the morning she was fine, then she had a little bloody diarrhea, then about an hour later she just started pouring blood out of her mouth and rectum. She wound up on IV fluids at the vet, but it wzs a Saturday and he wanted me to take her to the evet, but he didn't think she was likely to survive. I didn't want her to die in a cage at some vet's office she didn't even know, so I took her home with two bags of normal saline and a heplock. I put her on a thick layer of old blankets on our bed with the saline hanging from the ceiling fan and cuddled her, chaging the blankets as needed. About three in the morning she wanted to get up, so I carried her outside, and she peed. By the next morning, you could hardly tell anything had happened to her. Crazy scary.

What kinds of meds are vets giving? I was advised that the treatment is just masses of fluids, and that's all we did for Mini. She has been fine ever since.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

They just gave her Sub-Q fluids, anti nausea, and some metro.