Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Default is it abuse, or just bad handling, and do you say something?

a girl was walking a dog in the parking lot earlier, an American Bulldog that lives in the building that I have personally fallen in love with (he's gorgeous but I have yet to creepily sneak a photo). the girl walking him, I've never seen her before, but the owners of the dog let another couple in the building play and walk with him sometimes when they aren't around and I think this girl was their friend.
anyway, the dog is too big for her, and was pulling (not much mind you, but enough) so she took the end of the leash and started hitting him. she hit him over the back, on the legs, and on the face/head. after the first hit the dog stopped, and she didn't.

if you see someone do this, what do you do?
do you call them out? offer advice if you can? let them know you saw that?
or do you just keep going and hope that's the only time it ever happens and that the dog doesn't get fed up with it, turn around and snap at her?

ETA: this dog doesn't pull with his owners. I thought maybe he saw something, but they weren't close enough for me to see what it was. usually, he is perfectly well-behaved. I know he's not neutered, and I know there's a female downstairs that hasn't been spayed yet so I thought maybe that might be it.

My Polyvore
Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

Do you know where the dog lives? I might slip a note under their door saying you saw their dog walker hitting the dog in the face with the leash today. It would give you a venue to explain your concerns anonymously, and let the owners handle it.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Let it be

How hard was the hit? If they were light smacks to get his attention I don't see that as worse than jerking a choke chain but a bull on beating with a lead? I'd report her to the authorities.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

the smacks were hard enough (or rather loud enough) that I heard them from my window, and they were a bit far off from me. she was a tiny girl but she seemed to be putting a lot of arm behind them. he is a BIG AmBull, and he barely flinched until it hit his face.

I'm not sure what apartment the owners live in. I will say something next time I see them.

the people she was with were laughing, too. :\
they just got a Boxer puppy themselves, but luckily she's already walking great on her leash.

I am that creep in the building that watches you walk your dogs. Hi.

My Polyvore
Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I might say something but it depends on what I saw. Go with your gut.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Fila Love

If she was hitting the dog that hard, I would tell the owners, slip them a note something. I would hate to know someone that I trusted to walk my dog was abusing it.

They would never walk my dog again.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Big Dog

I would say something or write an anonymous note. If the dog stopped what it was doing after the first smack there was no reason for her to continue hitting the dog, especially not in the face.

I'm not sure what the owners are like, but if it were my dog I would like someone to come to me with a "I'm not trying to cause problems, but I'm just trying to look out for the best interest of your dog. This is what I saw..." spiel.

If they don't know that it's going on they can't choose to stop it.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assamiea View Post
I would say something or write an anonymous note. If the dog stopped what it was doing after the first smack there was no reason for her to continue hitting the dog, especially not in the face.

I'm not sure what the owners are like, but if it were my dog I would like someone to come to me with a "I'm not trying to cause problems, but I'm just trying to look out for the best interest of your dog. This is what I saw..." spiel.

If they don't know that it's going on they can't choose to stop it.
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Top Dog

I'd definitely write a note, too. I don't know the owners, obviously, but I personally am very picky with how my dog is treated and trained. Besides, it may not be safe for the girl if she ends up actually pissing the dog off one day.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Mutts to you

I agree with telling the owners, hopefully you'll see them soon.

And since you're the 'creepy' person who spies on other's dogs, if you see her again being stupid with the dog, open the window and yell 'Hey! What the h*ll are you doing?!" Don't have to identify yourself, you can close the window again, but it will make her realize people are watching...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey