Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Default Sketchers shape ups $40 million fine

Well, it seems Sketchers has been ordered to refund everyones money for the shape ups people bought under false claims that they would help tone and help people lose weight.

http://www.ktvz.com/money/31072227/detail.html

turns out people have been walking around in hideous shoes for no reason lol.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 05-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Holy crap!
What about the several other companies out there with similar shoes making similar claims? I think Nike and Reebok both have similar types... maybe they just didn't quite make the same claims? Wow. This kinda sets an interesting precedent..

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

On one hand, I find it silly to be angry/need compensation that your shoes haven't helped you lose weight (unless perhaps they were quite expensive and specifically marketed as such, which is not the case).

On the other, it's stupid to claim your product will help people lose weight if there's no evidence for it. Just market them as shoes instead of fibbing about them.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

Reebok already had their lawsuit settlement.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Holy crap!
What about the several other companies out there with similar shoes making similar claims? I think Nike and Reebok both have similar types... maybe they just didn't quite make the same claims? Wow. This kinda sets an interesting precedent..
yeah I'm not sure. I guess it's because they used a chiropractor using a false study who was also married to a marketing director for Sketchers and they didn't reveal that he was paid to do the commercial. I guess that's the main issue.

So I'm not sure what will happen with the other companies selling similar shoes, if anything.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

wouldn't have worn them even if they promised to stop my hair from frizzing and picked up my dogs poo for me honestly lol ugly shoes is right.

People are so quick to jump and throw their money in the wind for these quick weight loss ideas. health eating habits and exercise. that's it. no way around it. especially not magic shoes lol

and they got KIM KARDASHIAN to model these shoes. Of all people.
As if A. She would ever be caught dead wearing them or any sketchers shoes in public and B. She needed ANY help getting a shapely figure lol
Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
On one hand, I find it silly to be angry/need compensation that your shoes haven't helped you lose weight (unless perhaps they were quite expensive and specifically marketed as such, which is not the case).

On the other, it's stupid to claim your product will help people lose weight if there's no evidence for it. Just market them as shoes instead of fibbing about them.
I agree. it's hard to say whether the shoes did or did not help people lose weight when they probably continued on with their bad eating habits as normal. If you think shoes are going to be the thing that changes your life... well that's another problem entirely lol

But it seems the issue isn't whether they really do or do not help people lose weight but that they made false claims based on false studies conducted by paid "actors" and apparently you have to put up tiny print saying they are paid to say this.

G.K. Chesterton

Old 05-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Reebok already had their lawsuit settlement.
I didn't hear about this one.

So I suppose the others will be coming soon lol

G.K. Chesterton

Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

It's like the lady that won the lawsuit against Nutella because she thought it was healthy.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
turns out people have been walking around in hideous shoes for no reason lol.
Now we just have to wait on the Crocs people to settle for making people wear ugly shoes