Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielou View Post
My goldfish is OLD and he has it GOOD! His tank is huge, he gets to eat shrimp and worms once a week, fruit, veg and gel foods.
I won him at a fun fair when I was 4.
So... without trying to be too intrusive how old is your fish and how big is he?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
So... without trying to be too intrusive how old is your fish and how big is he?
17! I have no idea how big he is now (he lives in England with my mum) when I got him he was probably about an inch now including his huge tail he is probably closer to 6 or 7".

Eta my mum just informed me he is probably closer to 9"
Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
17! I have no idea how big he is now (he lives in England with my mum) when I got him he was probably about an inch now including his huge tail he is probably closer to 6 or 7".

That's impressive!!!

Our oldest fish are our pair of black clown fish... I think they're a little over 3 years old.

There was a pair of 35+ year old clown fish at one of the local reef fish stores a while back- they weren't for sale. They were massive!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

Cool! What a lucky fish!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Slave to the Aussie

My parents Idea was to get a goldfish that would last a couple of years to teach me to care for a pet before I could have rodents. That backfired.

He's a grumpy SOB but knows some tricks.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Obey the Toad.

This is why I had to order a cage for the keets--I wanted a good sized flight cage and that's nearly impossible to get at you average pet store. They do have large cages at Petco, but they are made for medium to large sized birds.

Yoda was bought on a whim. I didn't go to the sale I bought him at planning on buying a bird. We already had the keets though, and Nate had wanted a Quaker parrot anyway, so I got him. I did do tons of research and reading after getting him though. I have no regrets-we had kind of a rough start but I have learned a ton from and he has turned out to be a awesome bird. Plus we have taught him to make farting sounds-what more could you want?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
This is why I had to order a cage for the keets--I wanted a good sized flight cage and that's nearly impossible to get at you average pet store. They do have large cages at Petco, but they are made for medium to large sized birds.

Yoda was bought on a whim. I didn't go to the sale I bought him at planning on buying a bird. We already had the keets though, and Nate had wanted a Quaker parrot anyway, so I got him. I did do tons of research and reading after getting him though. I have no regrets-we had kind of a rough start but I have learned a ton from and he has turned out to be a awesome bird. Plus we have taught him to make farting sounds-what more could you want?
Nothing more. I'll take him.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:

I didn't know goldfish could live that long! We have a catfish who I'm not sure exactly how old he is, but he was with us before we moved to our current home, so at least... close to 15 years old. He's the only fish we have left as over the years we've gotten out of fish keeping and just haven't gotten new fish as the old ones have died. Pretty sure he's going to live forever, though. He's maybe... 6-7"? Not one of those species that gets to like 6' or whatever in the wild.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I didn't know goldfish could live that long! We have a catfish who I'm not sure exactly how old he is, but he was with us before we moved to our current home, so at least... close to 15 years old. He's the only fish we have left as over the years we've gotten out of fish keeping and just haven't gotten new fish as the old ones have died. Pretty sure he's going to live forever, though. He's maybe... 6-7"? Not one of those species that gets to like 6' or whatever in the wild.
Haha I didn't know either. I think the oldest goldfish was like 26 or something. I keep telling him to stay alive long enough to be in the record books.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I agree. A pet is a pet is a pet...I don't care if it is a dog or a hamster, they deserve to have the same quality of care. Like Fran said...proper diet, proper living quarters, proper mental/physical stimulation, vet care (which would include euthanasia so the animals doesn't suffer from whatever illness it has if treatment isn't worth the price to the owner), proper handling. If you can't be bothered to research what the animal needs and how to best care for it...don't get it.

And when people think a small pet is less expensive than a dog...HA. That may be true for hamsters and such, but not for ferrets. I've think I've spent more money on my ferrets than I have on Chloe. LOL