Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Top Dog

Default Training Collars on Puppies

I can't sleep so I'm just sitting here browsing chaz and thinking about stuff .

I work in a pet store..more and more often I'm seeing people picking up various training collars...for puppies. Especially the Petco classes are now having every puppy owner purchase and use head collars for classes. What happened to yknow..training the dogs? Going straight to a device just is not my idea of a good thing to push. I know our society is geared towards quick fixes, and maybe starting off with a head collar for the average joe isn't as bad as the dog not getting walked at all eventually. I just don't particularly like the idea.

I've even seen 3-4month old pups getting prongs and choke collars thrown on them...'for the future'. Inappropriate I think..what do you guys think?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:04 AM
*Now with Snark*

My place of employment sells ALOT of e collars in addition to a few other dog related items. I feel for you but happily my work also encourages and even lets me decline a sale if I don't feel good about it or I am confident that the product will be used in a way that will harm a dog. Happily so far most of the people who are knuckleheads have been easily dissuaded from using the collars for the wrong reasons like using a remote collar in leau of a in ground fence, or for the few looking for a magic wand when what they need is a better fence and an hour on a bike daily.

That said - if the owner feels better for whatever reason using a training collar and is using it correctly I have no issue with them picking one out for a few months down the road. Personally - not a fan of the halti but I guess for someone they work. The couple times I've tried fooling with them I was less than impressed.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

Personally I don't use prongs or choke chains, I am not against them, I just know I don't need them on my dogs. I would see no reason for anyone to ever use any kind of training collar on a puppy
Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Top Dog

I always tell my puppy classes that they need to work on loose leash walking with a normal buckle collar for at least 2 weeks and if they are still struggling and would like a training collar to let me know and I will fit them with the best training collar for their individual dog. I wish I could have them work on it longer than two weeks, but our puppy k is only 5 weeks long and if they do need a training collar I would like to see how it helps in the following weeks so that we can switch if it's still not working for them.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Resident fainting goat

I don't think training collars are necessary for pups. I mean, I guess I could see if the person was on the weaker side and this was a LARGE STRONG PUPPY.

but for most, I think it should be encouraged at least to do training without all the tools.

I think using walking tools especially on pups makes the tool kind of a crutch. Puppy doesn't learn leave-it or self control really without it. Which creates problems IMO

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Active Pup

I think that using a training collar on a puppy is a little over kill. They are just trying to figure out what you want them to do, and adding a bunch of new distractions such as a prong collar that pinches or a head collar that pulls them isn't going to help. I think you should start with a basic collar and leash and work up from there. If you have a puppy that is over powering you at a young age, maybe you shouldn't have such a a big dog...
Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

Head collars are a mixed bag for me. Personally, I am trying to avoid any collars as the more I research, the more I dont like ANY neck pressure. Head collars have pros and cons but I can understand starting pups young on them if you are using them instead of a flat buckle collar.

But no, I am not ok with pups being put on chokes or prongs, I dont like adults on them either.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Done correctly, it is debated, that using a prong on a puppy can train collar directionals better than any other method. That said it's not being used for every day walks and pulling, it's a training session. Most people, the average pet owner or even trainer, doesn't understand the benefits of training collars.

I don't have a problem with a properly sized prong used on most dogs.

I also however do not take issue with properly used ecollars (of course, proper can be so subjective).
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
such sights to show you

Eh, if a crutch or quick fix means the difference between a dog not getting walked or worked with at all and getting walked or worked with, then I don't really care either way as long as someone is using it correctly - i.e. not yanking dogs or puppies around willy-nilly. Some people just aren't motivated to train.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Done correctly, it is debated, that using a prong on a puppy can train collar directionals better than any other method. That said it's not being used for every day walks and pulling, it's a training session. Most people, the average pet owner or even trainer, doesn't understand the benefits of training collars.

I don't have a problem with a properly sized prong used on most dogs.

I also however do not take issue with properly used ecollars (of course, proper can be so subjective).
All of this.