Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

Default Got Engaged - Wedding Cruises?

Jason proposed on Friday, and took me completely by surprise. He had commissioned a portrait of Kastle and Eden for me and I knew it had arrived so he brought it to me to open...Instead I found a sketch of Ikie:

The artist drew it up for him and put it on top of the portrait, but the portrait was there too!

The ring:

We want to do a wedding cruise. I have no idea how to go about planning/finding good ones. I know there are several options - be married at sea, be married in port or a destination wedding. We are open to them all but think it would be really neat to be married at sea. Does anyone have any info or insights on where to look/what to look for etc? HELP!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Kotah BEAR

CONGRATS! That ring is gorgeous and I love the way he proposed.

Yea that's all I got
Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Congrats! Very cute and the ring is gorgeous!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 AM
and Spy.

Oh my gosh congratulations! What a creative and adorable idea - good thinking Jason! A wedding cruise sounds really nice. I don't have any helpful info about it though, sorry. Are you ok with it being a small wedding? That may be the case because it would probably only be really close family and friends that would be able to cruise with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Top Dog

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
Are you ok with it being a small wedding? That may be the case because it would probably only be really close family and friends that would be able to cruise with you
Yup! That's what we're aiming for! If we do it in my hometown, where my grandparents, my parents and I were all born and raised, it will be HUGE (like 200-300 people for the ceremony) and then that number would probably close to double for the reception = VERY expensive. We'd rather do the cruise, save ourselves and my parents a lot of money. We cannot go any sooner than September 2013 so it should be enough time for everyone that is invited and wants to go to save up. Plus, we have absolutely no expectations of anyone going - if they want to and can afford it - fantastic, if not, we're totally fine with that. We want it fairly low-key and unstressful. So yes, small is great.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Yay! Congratulations.
Your ring is stunning.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Top Dog

Super cute proposal idea!

Figure out the itinerary you want, and then call the cruise line and talk to them. They ALL offer wedding packages, where you can get married in the chapel on the ship at any point during the cruise (I'd vote for right away, so you can enjoy the rest of the vacation!) Then they'll bring champagne and strawberries and whatever else to one of the lounges so you can have a tiny little reception. The ship's photographer will be on hand, and most packages include pictures (plus you could buy the cd). Usually it's only a few thousand dollars to do it, in addition to the cost of the cruise.

RCCL (my favorite line): http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac....do?exCode=547
HAL (slightly more upscale, often nicer itineraries): http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise...ivities.action (click "special activities" in the left hand menu)
NCL (super laid back and informal--no gowns and dressing up in the dining room, eat whenever, etc): http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise...ng-and-romance

I'm sure Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Disney ($$$$!) and all the luxury lines offer packages too, but I've never cruised those lines so I can't comment on what it would be like. You can view feedback on all the different lines on Cruise Critic, my favorite cruise planning board. They even have a whole section devoted to weddings. You can search the archives and find zillions of questions and answers so you can pick the things that are right for you guys.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

The other thing is, you can board early and get married on the ship just before leaving port. Then all your guests could come to the ceremony, and they could stay on for the duration of the cruise or get off the ship if they don't want to/can't afford to travel with you.

One thing to think about...do you want to spend your honeymoon with your parents and in-laws? That would be a deal breaker for me! I looooooove cruising, and it's always DH's and my first vacation of choice. We've done a few in the carribbean, and then gone once to Alaska, the Eastern Mediterranean and Egypt, and will be headed to the Baltics & Russia this summer. The Med cruise was by far the coolest thing I've ever done in my life.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Bite Club

Congratulations! Have you been on a cruise before? We went on one in December and tbh none of us were overly impressed. I would personally prefer a destination wedding but there are people who do love cruises, so if you are one of them them go for it! We went on Norwegian and found them to be pretty, ummm how do i put this, willing to take your money at every turn. I got a little sea sick too, and my friend and I both had horrible cases of sea-legs when we got back. It was not for us at all.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 PM
swimming upstream

congratulations--what a gorgeous ring, and your fiance' gets credit for creativity!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Congratulations

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/