Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Obey the Toad.

They didn't have any sort of info available, unless the buyer wanted to provide it. There were some birds that there was not even any species listed for. There were some owners that did offer to educate buyers after their purchases though.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Jerk.

I miss my exotics. All fish. One day Ill get back into keeping aquarium monsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 05-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I miss my exotics. All fish. One day Ill get back into keeping aquarium monsters.
What did you have?

~Christina--Mom to:
Jack--6 yr old Labrador

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
What did you have?
My tankbusters were a pair of Motoro stingrays and a trio of Lima Shovel Nose catfish. My Royal Pleco could also have been a tank buster.

I had some other semi rare exotic catfish, as well as some easily bred plecos, Snowflake pleco, breeding colony of Albino Bristle Nose plecs and Clown/Flash plecos.

This now has me thinking of scrubbing out one of my 50g tanks and starting small again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 AM
Obey the Toad.

That sounds awesome--it would be amazing to keep those species, especially the rays! If you get your tanks back up you must post pics!

~Christina--Mom to:
Jack--6 yr old Labrador

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
If you get your tanks back up you must post pics!
THIS! ^^

We had an elderly neighbor who had an arowana. That thing was freaking HUGE. I mean, it could have swallowed a duck whole. I'm not even sure how many gallons the tank was, but it was huge too.

Most people I know/knew that had big exotics like big cats kept them in very large, lushly planted nice enclosures. With three (minimum) perimeter fences, as much to keep nosy trespassers out as to keep the cats in.

There used to be an exotics auction in Yakima, but I don't know if they do it any more. Sadly, a lot of the exotics auctioned off were auctioned by the larger zoos. Their giraffes/zebras/tigers/etc. would reproduce, be registered with the AZA studbook, and they'd only have space for the ones that were the most optimal breeding animals and then they'd liquidate the rest through auctions.

The only time I ever personally worried about an exotic animal at an auction was someone selling box turtles at the local poultry auction. I ended up buying them for way more than I should have, because I overheard the dude next to me promise his 10 year old son that he'd buy them and the kid could "fill up his fish tank with water and turn them loose in it". AUGH.

One was a gulf coast boxie and the other was an ornate. NOT WATER TURTLES. Sadly, this kind of stuff happens to reptiles all the time regardless of whether they come from an auction or pet store. People need to be educated.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Top Dog

There used to be someone in our area with a few zonkeys. I remember my horse vet saying they had one in the clinic for a while. If I recall correctly, he said that, while they were very well handled and cared for, they were still borderline wild. We'd been (jokingly) begging the owner of the barn I managed to get us one, and he made it very clear it was a bad idea! They are absurdly cute, though.

I don't know, I've never quite gotten the exotics thing. Beyond being a status symbol, I can't imagine what would make it seem like a good idea.

Except for a petite lap giraffe. If anyone sees one at an auction, pick it up for me I'll pay you back.
http://www.petitelapgiraffe.com/index.php

Old 05-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
THIS! ^^

We had an elderly neighbor who had an arowana. That thing was freaking HUGE. I mean, it could have swallowed a duck whole. I'm not even sure how many gallons the tank was, but it was huge too.

Most people I know/knew that had big exotics like big cats kept them in very large, lushly planted nice enclosures. With three (minimum) perimeter fences, as much to keep nosy trespassers out as to keep the cats in.

There used to be an exotics auction in Yakima, but I don't know if they do it any more. Sadly, a lot of the exotics auctioned off were auctioned by the larger zoos. Their giraffes/zebras/tigers/etc. would reproduce, be registered with the AZA studbook, and they'd only have space for the ones that were the most optimal breeding animals and then they'd liquidate the rest through auctions.

The only time I ever personally worried about an exotic animal at an auction was someone selling box turtles at the local poultry auction. I ended up buying them for way more than I should have, because I overheard the dude next to me promise his 10 year old son that he'd buy them and the kid could "fill up his fish tank with water and turn them loose in it". AUGH.

One was a gulf coast boxie and the other was an ornate. NOT WATER TURTLES. Sadly, this kind of stuff happens to reptiles all the time regardless of whether they come from an auction or pet store. People need to be educated.
They actually had a gorgeous blue throated macaw there that had been born in a zoo, but the guy selling her seemed to have bought her from said zoo. I thought it was strange that an animal born in a zoo would be just sold like that, but you explanation makes sense. She was an awesome bird though! I'm not even looking for a macaw and I was severely tempted.

~Christina--Mom to:
Jack--6 yr old Labrador

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Alligators? That seems like a pretty bad idea. Can you keep them outside in your area? Because here you could not and how many people can afford a heated pond big enough for a 10 ft reptile. Rescues don't need anymore, they'll die and or wreak havoc in the environment, so what do you do with it when it gets big, turn it into a purse?
Well the guy I know with alligators in the mid-upper Midwest keeps them in big livestock watering troughs (the 300gal kind I think) in his heated garage.

Not saying that is a good idea, but I do think he acquired his from an exotics auction.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Top Dog

I have not heard a single good thing about Zonkeys and Zorses.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/