Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Durp Dog

Default How often do you feed organs?

Raw feeders, do you feed liver/kidney/heart, every day? Or just 3ish days a week?

I was thinking of just bagging the chicken/heart/liver/kidney/ect into single serving ziplock bags so that it is convenient for me to just unthaw 2 at a time... then realized that not everyone feeds organ everyday. That isn't all they are getting (egg, sardines, few veggies, ect) but you get the point.

I have started with chicken leg quarters & chicken heart/liver and they are doing great.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

When I did prey model I would feed organs twice a week. Now I use a local prefab place and LOVE that the organs are already in it. I always hated fighting with organs to portion them lol

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Twin 2

When I didn't do this raw food mix that has organ mix in it I did an organ cupcake one day, a tripe cupcake the next and a veggie cupcake the next. So organ every third day.

Organ cupcake

Organ and veggie cupcake

Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Top Dog

I feed organs once every 10 days or so (10% of their diet), but it is mixed in with the ground turkey I feed which is their main diet.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Durp Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I feed organs once every 10 days or so (10% of their diet), but it is mixed in with the ground turkey I feed which is their main diet.
Ground turkey with organs sounds awesome, I hope I can find something like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
When I didn't do this raw food mix that has organ mix in it I did an organ cupcake one day, a tripe cupcake the next and a veggie cupcake the next. So organ every third day.

Organ cupcake

Organ and veggie cupcake

I might try the muffin tins, but just stuff them in there without blending it up. So far they ate the chicken liver & chicken hearts up (well Lacey didn't at first but after she saw me giving Nora the organs she refused -she decided to eat them greedily) but beef organs may be different. I doubt Lacey will readily eat a veggi mix, if not I could mix it with organs. And use your awesome idea of using a muffin pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
When I did prey model I would feed organs twice a week. Now I use a local prefab place and LOVE that the organs are already in it. I always hated fighting with organs to portion them lol
Uh, if you hear of any prefab places in NC let me know.... lmao. I think I will just do organs 2-3 times per week. Instead of trying to do tiny portions per day (think teaspoon sized).
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
This. I love Woody's!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 AM
MyHorseMyRules

I do raw meaty bones in the morning and muscle meat like heart or thigh in the evening. And I defrost a week's worth of organs (10% of the diet) and feed it over about five days, then I wait a couple days and do it again. It ends up being about a tablespoonful or so each day. When I was doing whole meals of the organs, I would just feed it about once a week. But after adding a third dog and changing up portions, this way is easier for me now.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Durp Dog

Hmmm, I will think on it. For some reason I would feel "safer" feeding tiny portions of organs almost every day.

I've been doing it so far, I eyeball the size of a serving of meat & throw in roughly 10% into the baggie of meat. Then all bags go into the freezer, I put 2 in the fridge to unthaw for the next day. Next day I grab the unthawed baggies & empty one bag per dog - and move 2 more bags from the freezer to the fridge.

As I add in more ingredients (sardine, beef, lamb, salmon oil) they will go into the baggies with the meat/organs. I will mix it up so that the baggies don't have identical contents. One might have sardines/chicken/organ the other might have beef/organ/veggi/egg. Don't think I will freeze the eggs... not sure how that would turn out.

Right now I am keeping it simple with just chicken, but I am thinking ahead.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:04 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
This. I love Woody's!
As do I! I can't imagine my cat would eat organs any other way.

I'm not even sure how I would have went about this when Juno was on raw. We never made it to the organ phase lol. I was good at winging it though and didn't really pay attention to percentages... probably I would have just thrown some organ in her food every couple days.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Woody's FTW!

There needs to be a Woody's everywhere.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.