Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Ferret Nation cages

I was just wondering how Hard ferret nation cages are to clean?

Right now I wipe down the rat girl cage almost every day with Nature's Miracle deodorizing cage wipes and stick it fully in the tub once or twice a week. Basically I clean a lot.

I would love to get my girls a FN but a coworker told me his was difficult to clean.

Any input is appreciated.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I actually really like my FN in terms of cleaning. Keep in mind I have ferrets and not rats, but you know. The base comes out of it just like a dog crate base, and the shelves are also removable. When I scrub I just take everything out and wash them in the tub. Now, because I have a FN142 I can't exactly just carry it down the stairs and outside (or pick it up and put it into the tub) when I need to scrub down the entire cage (the bars and such), so in that way it is hard to clean...but one of the reasons I purchased the FN was because I was sick and tired of having to clean my Super Pet ferret cage. The FN is SO much easier.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Love My Mutt <3

It's super easy, doors come off real easy need be too

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Have you looked into Critter Nation cages? They are like Ferret Nation but the bars are closer together. My concern with having rats in a FN cage is that the bars are wide enough that a rat can squeeze through.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

I love my critter nation I know some people do have issues with young rats and smaller females fitting through the FN
Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Puppy Dog

I have a Critter Nation with a Bass pan and I love it! It's so much easier to clean than the last cage I had (Superpet My First Home Large for Exotics). The doors come off and you just slide the pan right out! When I was at my parents' house I would just take it apart and bring it outside to spray it down with the hose. In my apartment I just take it piece by piece to the tub. If you use bedding I recommend a Bass pan, but if you use fleece the original pan it comes with is fine.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I googled Critter Nation cage and like I said, they really are just like the FN only the bars are closer together to prevent rats from squeezing through the bars. Here's one of the first pics that popped up on Google.

Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I always thought they were SUPER easy to clean! The pans and shelves come out, I used to wash them in the tub. The doors open fully, so you can reach every nook and cranny - I used to HATE cleaning the super pet cages, they're so hard to reach in some areas and the plastic pans were ick. But I love the FN. And it was on wheels so even when I had the huge FN 143 I just rolled it outside and sprayed the whole entire thing down with a hose once in a while.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus View Post
I have a Critter Nation with a Bass pan and I love it! It's so much easier to clean than the last cage I had (Superpet My First Home Large for Exotics). The doors come off and you just slide the pan right out! When I was at my parents' house I would just take it apart and bring it outside to spray it down with the hose. In my apartment I just take it piece by piece to the tub. If you use bedding I recommend a Bass pan, but if you use fleece the original pan it comes with is fine.
Total side note - but thanks for saying what that pan was called! Rinnie and Dameon have decided that they don't want to be litter trained in their cage anymore and are just crapping all over their bottom level. I'm not home every day and can't keep up on spot cleaning it twice a day (and can't afford to just line it with puppy pads) and it is driving me absolutely batty. I need one of those pans and they can just have a giant litterbox!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Could you keep a ferret in a critter nation if you wanted to? Like, are they the same size?

I think I am going to look closer at the CN then, my luck stinky little Tulip would wiggle her way out and wreak havoc if I put her in a FN!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.