Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 05-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Top Dog

Default Kindle?

Does anyone have a Kindle? What type? Do you like it? Can you listen to audiobooks?

I've been considering a Kindle for a while, but it MUST have audio capabilities. I found a refurbished Kindle Touch for $74 and free shipping directly from Amazon. I'm trading in a text book for a $59 Amazon gift card, so I can get it for $15 out of pocket. I also have Amazon Prime, so I can get a ton of books for free.

Do you think a Kindle is worth it? Is it easy to read from? How's the battery life?
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I want one badly! Everything I've heard is fantastic

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 05-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Top Dog

I believe the kindle does audiobooks, but I've never tried the feature. I think my sister downloads kindle books onto her iPod touch and listens to them in the car.

I have a kindle and I love it. I'm not sure what type it is, but I've had it for about 2.5-3 years. I think my husband's grandma got it for us our first Christmas. I've read in the car, outside in the grass, in a library, everywhere with it and I never have a problem.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 05-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Top Dog

I am pretty sure some can depending on if the book allows it. I think my dx does. I just bought my mom a touch 3G for mothers day and may give it to her today when I see her so maybe I'll see. It'll be hard enough showing her how to use it!

Check the price on a non refurb though. Target is clearancing them because they will no longer carry them so I got the 3G one that's I think 150 with a forty dollar gift card. And I think it might have been on sale. The non three g was like 90 maybe? Just a couple bucks more for a non refurb. Plus a thirty dollar gift card. But I see only paying fifteen on amazon!

Oh and no complaints. Love it. Battery lasts just don't leave 3G on if you get it cuz it sucks it up.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Professional Nerd

I'm quite sure that they play MP3s.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

I love my Kndle! I haven't done audio books with it but I believe they can. I got mine about a year ago. Since I only use mine for reading as long as I keep the wireless off the battery life is great.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Top Dog

Kindle Touch does play MP3s. You can play music or audio books.

I love my Kindle Touch!

And yeah as long as you keep wireless off, battery life it great. Only turn on wireless while shopping from your Kindle or to update, then be sure to turn it off.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

I have the second version made and love it. I think all the e-ink ones. *Ones not fire* have text to voice. The only issue is some books don't allow it. But that wouldn't depend on the kindle it would be the book publisher.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM
<3 my soldier

I love my kindle... It has a place for audio so I am pretty sure it does audiobooks. The battery life is awesome as long as you have wireless turned off. I read all 3 Hunger Games and the first three Harry Potters before I decided to charge (was around 3/4s dead).
Old 05-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

Thanks everyone! I still haven't decided yet if I'll get it. I'm torn between it, or 18 of the Doctor Who Target novelizations. Or 12 novelizations and another Sonic.

My only real hesitation is I don't know if I'll use it enough. I'd like it for audiobooks, but my phone does that just fine - though in reality I only listen in the car, so my car does it. I'm not sure how much I'll like the TTS - bad voice actors annoy the crap out of me, so I can't imagine a computer generated voice being very entertaining.