Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Teal Teal is offline
...ice road...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
What's wrong with rehoming a dog with a bite history, given that it was caused by a stupid owner and the dog could go on to live a fulfilling and happy life in the hands of someone who would know how to properly manage and train him?

If the temperament is genetically caused, by all means, put the dog down. But if it were caused by stupid humans with poor training techniques....I don't see the problem with rehoming the dog, as long as the rehome knew what they were dealing with.


Because it's not just any old dog in question - It's a Pit Bull mix. You know, the dogs being banned across the WORLD because of incidents like this?

It's hard enough to find proper, responsible homes for sound Pit Bull mixes who would NEVER bite a human! Good luck finding a home for one with a bite history.

But above all else... Why? Seriously... I don't understand WHY rehoming this dog would even be an idea. It's not a guardian breed doing its job. It's not a trained protection dog doing its job. It's a mixed breed dog who is going to be labeled a Pit Bull and continue to fuel the "All Pit Bulls are evil" sensationalism.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 PM
crazedACD crazedACD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 2,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
What's wrong with rehoming a dog with a bite history, given that it was caused by a stupid owner and the dog could go on to live a fulfilling and happy life in the hands of someone who would know how to properly manage and train him?

If the temperament is genetically caused, by all means, put the dog down. But if it were caused by stupid humans with poor training techniques....I don't see the problem with rehoming the dog, as long as the rehome knew what they were dealing with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
Unless he is willing to commit to the dog's training needs and step up his management plan then I feel the dog would be better off elsewhere.
Who's going to take the dog? The dog has bite history and is apparently DA. The people you find that are responsible and willing to take on a dog with HA (which are going to be extremely few and far between), generally (and probably should) already have dogs. Especially a pit mix...there are a million happy and healthy pits available all over the place. Why this dog over a stable dog that doesn't bite kids for fun?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Red Chrome's Avatar
Red Chrome Red Chrome is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default

I was NOT saying rehome the dog if he can't work with it. If he can't work with the dog then it will need euthanized. And that is what I meant.

Teal -I give you **** for DUMPING dogs which is an entirely different thread and situation!!! FYI.
__________________
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus-OFA H/E DM Free CGC DDJ RN BH
WBBs BleauChrome Lady of TheCopa-CGC STARR Naughty RockStar
The BlackChrome Executioner VonMarionHaus-Puppy Terrorist
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post


Because it's not just any old dog in question - It's a Pit Bull mix. You know, the dogs being banned across the WORLD because of incidents like this?

It's hard enough to find proper, responsible homes for sound Pit Bull mixes who would NEVER bite a human! Good luck finding a home for one with a bite history.

But above all else... Why? Seriously... I don't understand WHY rehoming this dog would even be an idea. It's not a guardian breed doing its job. It's not a trained protection dog doing its job. It's a mixed breed dog who is going to be labeled a Pit Bull and continue to fuel the "All Pit Bulls are evil" sensationalism.
But, wouldn't killing all possibly badly trained pit-looking dogs also fuel the sensationalism? As far as, oh, all pitbulls who attack anyone are unstable and need to be eliminated immediately? As in, there is no possible way that this or that person is just inherently stupid and will ruin ANY dog that might cross into their ownership? And then doesn't that just cycle into the whole, "ALL PITS ARE EVIL" problem? And that any dog, anywhere, is going to attack anyone at any moment?

Why not blame the owner, who screwed the dog in the first place? Blame bad ownership and training, and you have people who are going to take a breed and proper training more seriously. Blame the dog, everyone will continue to blame the breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Who's going to take the dog? The dog has bite history and is apparently DA. The people you find that are responsible and willing to take on a dog with HA (which are going to be extremely few and far between), generally (and probably should) already have dogs. Especially a pit mix...there are a million happy and healthy pits available all over the place. Why this dog over a stable dog that doesn't bite kids for fun?
But what if the dog IS a happy, healthy pit? With a screwed up owner?

Like I said before, if it is poor breeding....put the dog down. If it is poor training, eliminate the REAL problem, the owner/training technique. Otherwise, you're just paving a road for more screwed up dogs, aren't you?

Also, I'm not speaking of this dog in particular, simply because I do believe this is probably a troll and we cannot actually diagnose a dog over the internet.

And I DO recognize that dogs can be ruined beyond repair. By all means, put them down, too. I've had to do it.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Teal Teal is offline
...ice road...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
But, wouldn't killing all possibly badly trained pit-looking dogs also fuel the sensationalism? As far as, oh, all pitbulls who attack anyone are unstable and need to be eliminated immediately? As in, there is no possible way that this or that person is just inherently stupid and will ruin ANY dog that might cross into their ownership?


No, because any Pit Bull who attacks IS unstable and DOES need to be eliminated immediately.

Pit Bulls are not able to be ruined by bad ownership. Lack of training/socialization will NOT make a SOUND Pit Bull bite someone.


Quote:
And then doesn't that just cycle into the whole, "ALL PITS ARE EVIL" problem? And that any dog, anywhere, is going to attack anyone at any moment?

Why not blame the owner, who screwed the dog in the first place? Blame bad ownership and training, and you have people who are going to take a breed and proper training more seriously. Blame the dog, everyone will continue to blame the breed.


Because it's not "all in how you raise them", which is probably one of THE worst stereotypes put on the breed because when a dog does bite someone, everything thinks it was "raised wrong" and just needs to be "rehabilitated" when really, it needs to be culled.


Quote:
But what if the dog IS a happy, healthy pit? With a screwed up owner?


I said it before in this post, but it bears repeating - This is simply not possible. A happy, healthy Pit Bull doesn't bite someone because of an incompetent owner.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 PM
PWCorgi's Avatar
PWCorgi PWCorgi is offline
Priscilla Winifred Corgi
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twin Citay!
Posts: 14,570
Default

If the dog ran up and knocked the kid down out of excitement and the kid had to go to the hospital, fine. If the dog ran up and bit hard enough to break skin and sent the kid to the hospital, that dog should absolutely NOT be rehomed. OP should work with the dog themself (with serious professional help) or the dog should be euthed. It would be one thing IMO if the dog was scared and cornered and bit out of last resort. But a dog that chases a kid down the street and bites is not a dog that belongs in an uneducated home that obviously isn't equipped to deal with it.

Frodo bit someone. Was that someone being rude and did I fail at my job of protecting him? Yes. Would I EVER rehome him? Absolutely not. If there ever came a time where I could not keep him he would absolutely be PTS before I ever thought about rehoming. And it's not like corgis are on the forefront of BSL.
__________________

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi


*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,683
Default

I'm not saying it's all in the raising. Bad temperaments are bad temperaments, not even going to try and debate that.

But I do think it is possible for people to ruin dogs, and I don't see a reason to blame the dog for that. I guess, if the world was perfect, dogs wouldn't be the animals that they are and that they wouldn't have any defensive, predatory, or animalistic instincts, but I do believe they are still animals. I think nature/nurture both have their places. Breed the dog right, raise the dog right. No in-between.

Unless a dog has been bred to have the temperament of a stuffed toy, with no drive or no instinct what-so-ever, I think any dog *can* bite, if set up for failure.

If ANY dog is HONESTLY dangerous, put it down. I'm not arguing that, either.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 PM
keef keef is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoodleperson View Post
Does anyone else smell Spam/Troll?
I sure do!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 PM
~Tucker&Me~ ~Tucker&Me~ is offline
and Spy.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: B.C.
Posts: 4,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
Pit Bulls are not able to be ruined by bad ownership. Lack of training/socialization will NOT make a SOUND Pit Bull bite someone.
I think that is a pretty big big blanket statement. A dog with sound genetics can absolutely be driven to bite if the training and socialization are not there. We have domesticated dogs for a very, very, VERY long time, but that does not mean that they don't need training and socialization and can still turn out to have a solid temperament and be trustworthy. At the end of the day they are still animals.

All dogs can bite. Even the most temperamentally sound dogs have a limit, and it is foolish (imo) to claim that some dogs won't ever bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I'm not saying it's all in the raising. Bad temperaments are bad temperaments, not even going to try and debate that.

But I do think it is possible for people to ruin dogs, and I don't see a reason to blame the dog for that. I guess, if the world was perfect, dogs wouldn't be the animals that they are and that they wouldn't have any defensive, predatory, or animalistic instincts, but I do believe they are still animals. I think nature/nurture both have their places. Breed the dog right, raise the dog right. No in-between.

Unless a dog has been bred to have the temperament of a stuffed toy, with no drive or no instinct what-so-ever, I think any dog *can* bite, if set up for failure.

If ANY dog is HONESTLY dangerous, put it down. I'm not arguing that, either.
I agree with this post.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
I think that is a pretty big big blanket statement. A dog with sound genetics can absolutely be driven to bite if the training and socialization are not there. We have domesticated dogs for a very, very, VERY long time, but that does not mean that they don't need training and socialization and can still turn out to have a solid temperament and be trustworthy. At the end of the day they are still animals.

All dogs can bite. Even the most temperamentally sound dogs have a limit, and it is foolish (imo) to claim that some dogs won't ever bite.



I agree with this post.
Of course it's not foolish, they are Pit Bulls first, dogs second!

Yah... That's why I stayed out of the thread after the first page Troll.
__________________
Ella: 2 1/2 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~7 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site