Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Puppy Dog

Default My Dog Bit a Child

Yesterday, my dog broke out of his leash and rushed going outside the fence and bited a child.. Luckily, i only payed for the hospitization of the child and i bought her some medicines too.. I just hope that my dog will learn how to socialize with people becoz he's very aggressive with strangers and passer-bis..
Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 AM
~Lisa~

Id be calling in a behavorist.

what breed? how old? what training have you done? how long have you had this dog? what type of daily excersise does he get? what sets him off? (such as was the child running and squealing, playing on a bike, hop scotch (do kids even play this any more lol))
Old 05-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Sit! Good dog.

He's not going to learn unless you teach.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Felurian

Definitely need to seek some professional, knowledgeable help with this problem -- someone who does not "teach" by harsh methods or espouse any sort of "dominance" theories!

Also, keep watch on how the neighborhood kids act. It's possible your dog is being teased. (I've had to deal with this several times in the past.) If that is the case, you still need training help, but you have a better idea what the trigger is.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Puppy Dog

He's a pitbull mix and he's 11 months now. I train him to sit and heel bit that just doesnt work even with treats. I dunno but i guess im being too kind with my dog that's why he becomes so stubborn. I always jog him in the morning and walks him in the afternoon but after that he still wants to play rough. He always wants to chase our feet and bites our hands a lil rough. He already destroyed all his toys and he really made our backyard ruines because in the evening, we left him outside our house leaving our plants and other stuffs ruined. Sometimes, i get really irritated with his biting that i get to spank his mouth. He also likes to jump in our couches and bed. I swear he's playing is like a hell of a mess after. And he gets aggressive to any kind of people especially dogs whenever he sees one when i walk him. Its like he's going crazy or something. But beyond all that, i still very love my dog.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Puppy Dog

He played with children already but now, he doesnt want to play with them anymore. Whenver he sees them, he gets really mad. He hates children very much now.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekee View Post
Sometimes, i get really irritated with his biting that i get to spank his mouth.
You need to a) immediately get help from a behaviourist, and b) stop "spanking" his mouth when he bites, or the next one your dog is going to bite will be you.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Active Pup

A dog who bit a child so badly that the child A, had to go to the hospital and B, was only walking past my house, would not live very long in my house. There are somethings even a behavior expert can't and shouldn't fix. Your dog is a risk to the rest of the people around you. It should be double leashed, wearing a properly fitted basket muzzle and under strick control anytime it has to be off of your property. The other important thing that needs done is for you vet to check your dog for any hidden heath issues. Some health issues will make dogs act out with aggression.

But the fact remains your dog is a very high risk dog and should not be treated like an everyday pet.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Felurian

You really do need to invest time and money in a good behaviorist and learning how to communicate with your dog. Pretty much everything you have described that you are doing is setting your dog up to fail -- and be another statistic for the pitbull haters to use against us.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Top Dog

Oh lovely, a Pit Bull mix that bit a kid. And is aggressive with other people. Just what the Pit Bull community needs.

I know what I'd be doing with the dog.