I hope it is just a phase...

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Gonz, he does wear a thundershirt when things happen that are abnormal to our routine. If I go into work at a different time, if friends are coming over that arent here on a normal basis, etc. but if he wears it too much he will start being stressed from just not having it on.

My biggest hesitation with adding another dog is that he has never seemed to really enjoy the company of another dog. He basically ignores them, and then tries to play once in a blue moon.

BostonBanker

I assume this has already been tried or you've at least considered and rejected it, but have you tried medication? My friend wound up with a rescued cocker that she couldn't rehome due to his SA, and while it never took care of it completely, he lived on a fairly low dose of Valium (I think) and it kept him manageable.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
As soon as my suspension sells (hopefully today, actually) he will be going to see the vet behaviorist at the university of Minnesota to see about meds. I just don't have a grand sitting around until my suspension sells.

Grab

My biggest hesitation with adding another dog is that he has never seemed to really enjoy the company of another dog. He basically ignores them, and then tries to play once in a blue moon.
But, would the presence of another dog calm him, even if he's not 'omg you're my bff!"? Of my dogs, only two play together (Nog and Goose), two others (The Poodles) will cuddle. Aside from that they really do their own thing. But, have one gone for a day and they're always happy to see each other. Aside from Nog, who we actively sought out because Goose needed another dog who'd be her bff, the others have been added because we wanted another dog (not, of course, that Nog wasn't wanted by us as well, lol) I think dogs can be comforted by each other without playing 20 hours a day :)
Jules, who is my Mr. Crotchety, never played with another dog (until Grimm...he played with him a few times...awkward, weird play, lol. And after Grimm passed he went right back to not playing) and he doesn't cuddle. He's kind of a self centered little dog, lol. But, he's keenly aware of where the other dogs are. He gets very concerned if one is gone for a day (grooming, etc) , and is always visibly relieved when they're home where they belong.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
If you really want a second dog, I think doing a foster-to-adopt type situation with a known temperament/has been previously fostered would be a good idea. Cynder has a very mild case of separation anxiety (she'll occasionally raid the trash can while we're gone) and having a non-stressed out dog around does help her. She normally doesn't really care for other dogs (aka, she'll ignore them and at times try to play), but I think she is doing better now that she's not the only animal in the apartment.

elegy

overdogged
It's not the ideal, but what about having your regular vet prescribe anxiety meds for him in the meantime?

Bailey08

It's not the ideal, but what about having your regular vet prescribe anxiety meds for him in the meantime?
I agree that it may be worth trying. They'll do bloodwork, but I'm pretty sure our vet visit total was under $100, and Bailey's generic Xanax was like $12.

I will say that, in my case, a second dog has (hopefully temporarily!) exacerbated the anxiety in some ways. Of course she's an annoying puppy, but he's already attached to her and likes her most of the time. On the flip side, there is a good amount of jealousy, too, and other "ohmygosh something is different" anxiety. I knew that jealousy would be an issue, though, and that may be unique to our situation.

Do you have friends with stable dogs that Frodo already likes? Who maybe you can borrow to see if it makes a difference?

I know you've done a lot of behavioral work, so please don't be offended, but have you tried relaxation protocol? I really like it for B.

Taqroy

Murphy is pretty much like this. He only plays once in awhile and only on his terms. Otherwise he pretty much ignores everyone (me included lol) and does his own thing. But I saw a HUGE difference in him when we got Mu. Once she grew out of the annoying puppy stage he went from being "there" to being fully present. He is much much happier in a multi-dog household.

(((((hugs))))) The situation sucks and it sounds like it's stressing you out as much as it's stressing Frodo out. Honestly, a lot of it sounds similar to what I did with the girls and it turned into a self fulfilling prophecy. I'd get home, angst about letting them out together, let them out together, micromanage their every move for fear something would happen, something WOULD happen (because I was micromanaging them), I would freak out, they would get separated, and we would be absolutely no further along. Only for Frodo it's going outside, or you leaving the apartment, or whatever. I think getting him evaluated and possibly on meds is a fantastic idea. I don't know if you've done this already but maybe a behaviorist would help?

ETA: I am NOT saying anything is your fault - I just reread what I wrote and it comes across that way. What I'm trying to say is that figuring out how and where to break that cycle of anxiety (for both of you) is important. It might be meds, it might be behavior work, but it does sound like you guys are stuck in a loop. Feel free to PM me if you want to, I know that feeling of "OMG nothing I do is working and we're going to be stuck doing this FOREVER and I hate it."

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I am so sorry, PW! If I lived near you, I'd definitely take Frodo off your hands for a day!

I must be weird- I've never, ever wanted a no dog household! I didn't have a dog for my first two years of college and it was torture.

Nothing about having 5 dogs really stresses me out. None of my dogs have complicated behavioral issues, though... I'm really lucky in that respect. I can definitely see how a nervy dog can be very stressful, though.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Does he ever play with other dogs? Corgis usually love little dogs, who aren't going to trample them or crowd their space... JRTs, Beagles, Papillons, Chihuahuas, etc. If you can I would try taking in a small, playful but polite foster dog to see if it helps Frodo. You'd be helping another dog and maybe getting to the bottom of his insecurities. :)

Members online

No members online now.