Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I think that rather than have no dogs, you should adopt a dog with a known easy going temperament that you can enjoy with little to no stress. It's fun!
I agree. Getting a young adult who has been in a good foster home, where they can tell you a lot of how the dog handles things, would minimize the risk a lot. Even if it isn't the most perfect dog in terms of looks, drive, or whatever, you certainly deserve a go-anywhere, fun dog.

While I'd find it hard to imagine life without any dogs, I do sometimes look back on my days with just Meg and think I didn't appreciate it enough. Like when Gusto jumps on my head at 6 am every day, or insists on going for a long hike when the weather is terrible, or when I want to plan a weekend (dog-less) trip and realize I can't just leave the dogs with my parents anymore. But at the end of the day, they give me more than they take.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Not a Border Collie

I get like that at times too. Although it's not so much wanting a break from dogs, but I just want a normal, easy dog. Quinn is my perfect dog in all other ways minus her DR, and it just makes me want to cry that 1) I made it and 2) I haven't fixed her by now. I know it's my fault but sometimes I just wish she was easy and I could take her anywhere without worrying if there will be other dogs and if those other dogs will be owned by idiots. Some days I just really, really want a little easy Cav or something that loves all other people and all other dogs, LOL.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 05-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Agility freak!

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be a normal family with only one dog, but that's as far as it goes. I mean, right now we have 7 adults in the house (Morrie's here for the weekend) and.. yeah. There are times I just want a break. But usually a weekend away with Psyche helps that a lot because I leave the "problem" dogs behind. Psyche is honestly the easiest dog I've ever owned, even with her trial issues. That said, I did take Simi out for a weekend away last weekend and it was nice... maybe someday she'll be an easy dog.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Top Dog

When we were having all the problems with the girls I fantasized about having only Murphy (cause he's like the easiest dog ever - seriously). And I adore my dogs. But when they want to be stressful they are OMGSOFREAKINGSTRESSFUL. So....don't feel bad. Most of us with problem dogs have been there.

As an aside, the phrase problem dog makes me laugh and want to put a dunce cap on Tipper. Except if I put her in the corner she'd probably tear it apart and then bark at me. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 05-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm All Ears

I know enough that I am miserable without dogs. Did that before for too long and will never do it again. But there are days where I think it would be much easier with no dogs or at the least much easier without a dog like Mia. She's not stressful in a bad way, she's very easy to take out places, good in training classes, etc. Couldn't ask for more there. But she just needs so much in terms of exercise and attention. And she has some habits that grate on you like squeaking the tennis ball for hours on end or just being busy in general. I also miss being able to get ready for work and not having a tennis ball shoved at me the entire time.

She makes up for it in spades though.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Plus One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be a normal family with only one dog, but that's as far as it goes. I mean, right now we have 7 adults in the house (Morrie's here for the weekend) and.. yeah. There are times I just want a break. But usually a weekend away with Psyche helps that a lot because I leave the "problem" dogs behind. Psyche is honestly the easiest dog I've ever owned, even with her trial issues. That said, I did take Simi out for a weekend away last weekend and it was nice... maybe someday she'll be an easy dog.
This completely! I love my weekends away but with Aura they've had to stop. No one else can/will deal with her and she can't be taken anywhere. I just long for a one dog household sometimes with a nice easy dog that I don't have to worry about.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

I feel you. As much as I love Gambit, he complicates everything. Repairman? Better pray that Gambit can go to daycare for the day. Visitors? Only if you want to hear pitiful wailing coming from the bathroom, interspaced with a few growls.

Since Otter came, I have to admit, there's something to be said for havign a tiny (3.5lbs!) puppy who loves everyone and I don't have to worry about taking places. He's awesome, and it makes me sad that my boys are never going to be that.

I wouldn't trade Gambit (most days at least), but, yeah, there are defintely dark times when I look at him and regret adopting him. And almost every day I curse the shelter for flat out lying to me about him.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I know exactly what you mean. Although its never been so much, "I wish I was dogless!" it has been "I wish I didn't have a dog with so many issues!". I love Chloe to death, but she really frustrates me at times. And honestly what has helped me overcome that and start to just enjoy her for who she is is having other dogs that I can do things with (Cynder, Gracie, and Cooper). There are still days where I say, "If only..." and wonder how it would be if I hadn't adopted her, but then she does something that is just so Chloe and I stop regretting it.

Quote:
I just want to experiment with other pets like rats, ferrets, purebred cats, or whatever else comes to mind.
Luckily I got this out of my system early on in life. LOL I had a stable job at sixteen and have been financially responsible for my animals ever since, so if I felt like bringing home a new pocket pet my mom really had no say in the matter. I've had a wide variety of different types of animals and now I know exactly which animal will fit in my lifestyle. Right now I just wish it didn't take me so long to get rats - I LOVE Choco and Bees!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Big Dog

It happens. Sometimes a break is the best thing. After a few months you might be ready to go again. I know I've felt that way about things before (not dogs specifically, though them too at times - particularly foster dogs). The best treatment for burn-out is a break. It doesn't mean forever, and it's nothing to feel bad about. Plus, critters in cages can be a ton of fun too lol
Old 05-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Is there no one who could watch him for a day or two? That's really rough.
Nope. The only people I really trust with him are Megan and SaraB. Megan's housemate's dog is just as screwey as Frodo, plus she also has Bailey. I'm pretty sure if the three of them were under one roof the state would implode. Frodo doesn't like SaraB's Classic, so that's not going to happen.

Other than that, no. There isn't anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
Seriously, respite for dogs! It needs to happen!
Maybe I should start a business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
I know how you feel... I desperately want to ship classic off. I don't imagine a dog free household because it's really just classic that is so stress inducing. We could trade for a day, don't think it would help much though!
I don't think Classic would like that very much either

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I mean, to be honest, I can't imagine Jackson not being in my life. But he certainly adds a lot of responsibility that isn't required of most people my age, but I don't personally mind, since I'm a homebody and all anyways - it gives me an excuse to go home Hehe... but no, really, while my life would probably be easier in a lot of ways, I seriously can't imagine it. Then again, I have a relatively easy dog. He requires a lot of stimulation, but he's easy peezy.
If Frodo was easy, then this wouldn't even be an issue. It's the fact that NOTHING can be easy with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
I feel you. As much as I love Gambit, he complicates everything. Repairman? Better pray that Gambit can go to daycare for the day. Visitors? Only if you want to hear pitiful wailing coming from the bathroom, interspaced with a few growls.

Since Otter came, I have to admit, there's something to be said for havign a tiny (3.5lbs!) puppy who loves everyone and I don't have to worry about taking places. He's awesome, and it makes me sad that my boys are never going to be that.

I wouldn't trade Gambit (most days at least), but, yeah, there are defintely dark times when I look at him and regret adopting him. And almost every day I curse the shelter for flat out lying to me about him.
That's completely it, the fact that I can't do anything without forethought, and for a lot of things, I just can't do them. Full stop.

Ryan really wants to go to the dock dogs worlds, but we can't. It's not like we just waited until the last minute or didn't plan accordingly. We just can't go, full stop, no question. He can't stay home and he can't come along.

Last week my car alarm went off randomly so I had to run outside and turn it off. Because we didn't go through normal routine, he shrieked the whole time I was outside. Like blood curdling screaming. It was time for me to go anyway, so I came back in (he was all stress pants and hard facial lines), followed routine (=take him out quick, give him a kong, tell him be a good boy, leave) and he was fine.

I can't clean the rats cage and have them out with me in the bathroom for floor time unless Ryan is there or Frodo has something to keep him occupied or he will bark and whine the whole time he can't be with me.

When I get home from work Ryan has to be home or I can't go running. And even when I do go, he is barky and anxious at home with Ryan until I come back.

When we have people over if he gets tired of overwhelmed he will go to the bedroom (which is self taught and AMAZING, don't get me wrong), but he wants me to be in there with him and he will bark until I come to bed. Which means I don't get to socialize.

We can't just come and go as we please. If we are out and come back we need to stay for at least an hour or two or he barks and screams when we leave. Yesterday we wanted to go out for breakfast and then we each had to go to work. I had to drive to a nearby parking lot and meet Ryan so that I wouldn't have to go back to the apartment before I left for work. Then I went into work early and just read because I knew I couldn't go home and leave again or he would have a huge issue when I tried to leave.

For a while he was doing really well with seeing dogs in the apartment and right outside the apartment building, then he was charged in the hallway by a dog that door darted. Now he is TERRIBLE about seeing other dogs in the hallways or right outside the complex so I am the only person who takes him out. And I have to check the windows first to see if anyone is out there, gear up with treat pouches, and then 007 my way down the stairs and outside with him. The worst part about this is that *I* am anxious about another dog being in the hallway or the stairwell and therefore *he* becomes more anxious about being in the hallway and it just turns into a vicious circle.

There is a huge Somali population in our apartment building, and Frodo thinks that the clothes that Somali women wear are the most terrifying outfits ever, and they cause a reaction if a woman comes out of her door when we are in the hallway. I'm worried he is going to scare someone and they are going to report him.

ETA: A couple weeks ago the complex management put up signs that they would be testing fire alarms through the complexes. I just about had a mental breakdown because I couldn't tell by the signs whether they would be coming in each indivual unit or not. I called the office continually for about 15 minutes with no answer, and I couldn't just leave and go to the office because I had just gotten home from work and couldn't leave again. Because there was no way someone was going to be able to come into our unit with nobody home, I would've had to call off work. So I was FREAKING out and had to have Ryan come home to stop by the office to ask whether they would be coming into individual units or just checking the hallway ones.

These are the types of things that just wear on me after a while. More than anything I am just TIRED of having to deal with this type of thing every day.

I know that I probably sound completely ungrateful and annoying, but I really do appreciate the things that Frodo can do and I love him like crazy. I just don't particularly like him right now.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.