Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I did this tonight cuddling with Kiba downstairs... how nice it would be just have one or even two dogs. Not that I don't love my crew, but just somedays after dealing with stressful kids all day I want to RELAX.

There probably won't be anymore dogs for quite some time, even though I like having such a diverse pack I want to get to just have one or two, maybe three depending on age/energy requirements.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Top Dog

I know how you feel... I desperately want to ship classic off. I don't imagine a dog free household because it's really just classic that is so stress inducing. We could trade for a day, don't think it would help much though!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

I mean, to be honest, I can't imagine Jackson not being in my life. But he certainly adds a lot of responsibility that isn't required of most people my age, but I don't personally mind, since I'm a homebody and all anyways - it gives me an excuse to go home Hehe... but no, really, while my life would probably be easier in a lot of ways, I seriously can't imagine it. Then again, I have a relatively easy dog. He requires a lot of stimulation, but he's easy peezy.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Are you dead yet?

I understand what it's like to have a stress-inducing dog. I'm thankful that my current dog is very easy and only stress-inducing during thunderstorms, fireworks or when other dogs are right up in her space.

I wonder sometimes what it'd be like if I didn't have dogs at all. I haven't been away from dogs in so many years.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
But I have been thinking lately about how nice it would be to have a stress free, no dog household. To have critters, in cages, that don't care what time you get home, don't need to go outside, that you can have someone check on when you go on vacation, etc.

I'm guessing it is a by-product of Frodo being particularly stress inducing lately, and me feeling like I totally need a break from him for just a bit, but I have NEVER wanted a dog free household EVER before. But the past while I definitely have.

I have no plans of a dog free household forever, but I can't help but think how nice it would be to take a break from them.

It could also be due in part because I am absolutely freaking TERRIFIED of ending up with another dog like Frodo.

/whine
Oh yes, I have those days. I live in an apartment, no yard, which means I have to walk my dog everyday two times a day or more. Having a yard would make this so much easier since, if I'm lazy, I could just let him out to do his business. Add to the fact that my family wont take turns walking him except necessary, all the walking duties have been place on me, and I hate it! What makes it worse is that Kai is a very stubborn and opininated dog. There are many places around the neighborhood where he will.not.go! He will stop in his tracks and refuse to walk so I have to drag him to get going. He would go so far as to lay down on the ground. Places I would like to go, even places I'd like to run to, becomes a hassle if Kai decides he hates going that way. Dragging him by the neck for a couple of blocks does not look right. AT ALL. Getting my driver's license would make things much more interesting too, then I could take him places he never been. Walking around the same neighborhood is boring. Going to the park is the only interesting thing, and thankfully the park is pretty close.

So yes, I've been thinking about a no-dog household after Kai, though not permanently. I just want to experiment with other pets like rats, ferrets, purebred cats, or whatever else comes to mind. Though knowing me I can never take a long break from dogs. I enjoy them too much.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahla9999 View Post
So yes, I've been thinking about a no-dog household after Kai, though not permanently. I just want to experiment with other pets like rats, ferrets, purebred cats, or whatever else comes to mind. Though knowing me I can never take a long break from dogs. I enjoy them too much.
muahahahahahahahaha

Good luck just experimenting with them

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 05-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Top Dog

I can definitely see where you're coming from. I can't imagine not having a dog now (I was so miserable when I was dogless for 2 years), but after dogsitting 13 animals I was SO happy to be back to just my two boys. I'm probably spoiled because I couldn't have asked for two better dogs, but if I had to put up with a couple of the dogs I was watching long-term, I would probably go insane. Six months was PLENTY!

If I didn't need an SD I would probably still have just Gavroche. But as I said, I got lucky that Logan's a really good dog. I ended up not keeping Tango because he was just a little too much for me right now.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:16 AM
Top Dog

Yep, I totally know where you're coming from. Solo is an a**hole of a dog, and not in a fun way. He is a lot like Frodo by the sound of it, extremely dog reactive/aggressive, has seriously bitten a few dogs, is sound reactive/fearful, took forever to get over his people aggression and still gets weirded out if people talk to him, etc.....

I waited years to finally get a Mal, and then Pan started off extremely reactive/fearful of people. I was not impressed, as you can imagine. I thought that I was cursed to have anti-social dogs forever. However, with a lot of work and maturity she has turned out to be a pretty awesome dog. It is seriously amazing to me to have a dog that I can actually take places and to training gatherings and have a good time with. I think that rather than have no dogs, you should adopt a dog with a known easy going temperament that you can enjoy with little to no stress. It's fun!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Blonde Raccoon

Let me tell you, the reality of having no dogs around really sucks! I COMPLETELY understand what it feels like to need a break, especially since Seamus is such a constant pain in the rear. But now that I actually don't have my dogs around, I'm going through major dog withdrawals and I feel so empty and bored.

I'm in the UK and my dogs are 5000 kilometres away in Canada. I worked really hard during my first and second years of university and was offered this kickass opportunity to come study in the UK for six months. Of course I jumped at it and so far the experience has been great. I've been able to study hard, travel Europe and make lots of new contacts. The only thing weighing me down is just how much I miss my dogs. My family? It's not bad, I can just skype them when the feeling strikes me. But it's not like I can really pick up a phone and call my dogs. I feel guilty for leaving them (especially since Sally is thirteen and really starting to slow down), but take comfort in the fact that they're with my mum and in the only home they've ever known (I still live at home, so it's not like they've been displaced or have had to adopt a new routine). But I can't help but wonder if they know I'm coming back. I always worry that they feel abandoned by me and it just eats me up.

Sorry, long rant, but basically GO HUG YOUR DOGS. I wish I could go back in time and kick myself for all those times I told Seamus to leave me alone (he's one of those constant 'in your face' type dogs). It's not like he understood or listened anyway but still! I used to fantasize about taking a break from him (not so much Sally) because of his excessive neediness and just being difficult. But I MISS HIM AND HIS NEEDINESS SO MUCH. So basically a dogless life, while it's easier and requires a lot less responsibility, sucks so bad!

Only seven more weeks to go and believe me I can't wait! I'm never ever ever ever leaving them again!

Paris - On Target's Oooh La La
Seamus O'Grady, the supermutt.

& Sally, never forgotten.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 AM
BusterLove

I do get that sometimes. Or wonder why we can't just have easy dogs. Quinn with all her fears and reactivity, her issues with Mac. Buster's DA and overprotectivness of the house. Its a stressful household even if it is easier now than a few months ago. I hate the difficullties of ever having a visitor.

I just got back from a 12 day cruise today though and it was nice to have my dogs with me again. Life wouldn't be right without them.