Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-12-2012, 09:58 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
By far the best "ready-made" article I've found that sums up an English Shepherd quite nicely! Reminds me so much of Quinn. This is written by Mary Peaslee.
Oh, my gosh. I think Chloe is an English Shepherd. LOL (I know for a fact she's part Aussie, but her dad was just a generic farm collie type dog, so she may have some English Shepherd in her, too.)
Intelligent? Check. Devoted? Check. Territorial? Triple check. Enforcer of the Rules? This is the dog that breaks up cat fights and tattles on Rose when she gets into the cat food outside or is upstairs on one of the beds when she shouldn't be. ROFLMAO Now, she's just as bad about breaking rules as enforcing them...but I'll blame that on her Aussie heritage.

Really makes me want to get an English Shepherd. If only they came in smooth coat...I shave Chloe because I can't bring myself to brush her and she mats due to her undercoat. I think she's adorable short, but I miss the nice, feathery hair she had when she was around a year or two before her undercoat came in force.

AKC breed standard for the Labrador:
Quote:
True Labrador Retriever temperament is as much a hallmark of the breed as the "otter" tail. The ideal disposition is one of a kindly, outgoing, tractable nature; eager to please and non-aggressive towards man or animal. The Labrador has much that appeals to people; his gentle ways, intelligence and adaptability make him an ideal dog. Aggressiveness towards humans or other animals, or any evidence of shyness in an adult should be severely penalized.
UKC:
Quote:
The Labrador Retriever is an enthusiastic hunter with a good nose and a soft mouth. They excel in all performance activities. Another essential characteristic of the Labrador Retriever is the short, dense, double coat that protects the dog when retrieving from water. The short, "otter" tail is another distinctive feature of this breed. Labrador Retrievers are noted for their excellent temperaments. This breed is friendly, outgoing and eager to please. They are extremely intelligent and easily trained to perform a variety of complex tasks.
Sounds good to me. Although if I were telling someone about a Lab, I would stress the fact that as puppies they CHEW, as adolescents they are insane without proper guidance, and as adults they SHED.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 05-23-2012, 02:15 PM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
My dream dog is.
Good natured and reserved. Happy with family , loves kids.
Medium build with short coat. All colors . Prick ears.
Lazyier the better.

Any one got a dog that fits this. ?

You had Liz up until you said prick ears. Seriously, she lives for me & the kids I worked with, but won't even get off of her bed to meet guests (last time we had people over she was lying in front of a black curtain & no one knew she was there...) and spends about 20+ hours of the day snoozing.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 06-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliraptor View Post
From the AKC Belgian Malinois standard:

"reserved with strangers"
*Shows this to Tyr*

The malinois who thinks he's a corgi...sigh...
"ZOMG!!!!! Strangers!!!!"

This dog has a melt down when he's ignored by random passers by.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
You had Liz up until you said prick ears. Seriously, she lives for me & the kids I worked with, but won't even get off of her bed to meet guests (last time we had people over she was lying in front of a black curtain & no one knew she was there...) and spends about 20+ hours of the day snoozing.
PLOTTS HUH , will defiantly look at them now.! how about bassetts they as lazy as peeps say?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

Well this is what the UKC has to say about 'houlas:

Quote:
Catahoula temperament ranges from serious and business-like when working to clownish at home, with varying levels of energy. It is not uncommon for Catahoulas to be aloof with strangers, which often results in a lack of animation when showing and may cause some to draw away from judges when being examined. Catahoulas should never be excessively aggressive or shy. They can be independent, protective and territorial so they require firm guidance and a clear understanding of their place in the family unit. Catahoulas are affectionate, gentle and loyal family companions.
I think it's mostly accurate, although I might emphasize that shyness should not be at all tolerated with the breed, especially when working. This is an animal that is meant to be gritty under all circumstances! I'd also be tempted to emphasize that Catahoulas--although many have a great off-switch--are for sure not laid-back animals!

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 06-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Active Pup

From the Alaskan Klee Kai's UKC standard:

Quote:
The Alaskan Klee Kai is very curious, active, quick and agile. His loyalty and alertness make the Alaskan Klee Kai an excellent watchdog, who may be territorial despite his small size. While affectionate with family members, the Alaskan Klee Kai is reserved and cautious with strangers and in unfamiliar situations.
When "cautious" is in the actual standard, you know it's a problem, heh. Excessive shyness is a big issue in this breed. There are some good breeders working to improve temperament, though!

I generally send people to Widdershin Estates' breed writeup, which is accurate, and good about emphasizing the positive and negative traits of the breed:

Quote:
They are by nature EXTREMELY reserved almost to the point of being EXTREMELY SHY around strangers and people they do not know well.

...AKK do not like being overwhelmed by physical presence. They do not like hands reaching over their heads or being bent over.

...AKK do not like dealing with fast gestures from people they do not know well. Fast movement and motions make Alaskan Klee Kai somewhat unsure what to expect especially when they are young themselves.
Quote:
Like other huskies, Alaskan Klee Kai are a very vocal with an enormous range of vocalizations. Less prone then their Siberian cousins to morning and evening song, the AKK will enjoy spending a lot of time literally chatting with you.
Quote:
Alaskan Klee Kai are extremely smart and learn very quickly. They will learn what they can and cannot do…but they are independent thinkers and can grow bored quickly. Quick learning and free thinkers also mean that they can be mischievous.

Crystal the Papillon and Casper the Alaskan Klee Kai
Old 06-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Kaydee

The American Staffordshire Terrier is an intelligent, happy, outgoing, stable, and confident dog. Gentle and loving towards people. Good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet. It is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, this dog wants nothing more then to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of life. Over the past 50 years, careful breeding has produced this friendly, trustworthy, dog who is an especially good dog for children. Courageous and a persistent fighter if provoked. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death if the enemy traps the dog in a corner and threatens its loved ones. This breed has a very high tolerance for pain. Some un-socialized Staffs may be dog aggressive. Socialize very thoroughly when young to curve any dog aggressive tendencies. This breed can be difficult to housebreak. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained and socialized, the Staff makes a great family companion. This breed is not for the passive owner who does not understand that all dogs have an instinct to have a pack order. They need a firm, confident, consistent owner who understands how to display the proper leadership. The objective in training this dog is to achieve a pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in their pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader. Lines are clearly defined. You and all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. That is the only way your relationship can be a success.

This just about perfectly describes my beautiful girl except guarding property. If a stranger came in and started carting out the TV and stereo, Sophie would open one eye and perhaps give a brief tail wag and go back to sleep.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Kaydee

...however if someone were to try to attack me she would eat them...or possibly hide behind the couch...hard to say