Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Top Dog

Default Chinook?

Anyone heard of this breed? Any personal experiences? Just looking for information. I had the breed suggested to me since I'm a fan of northern breeds, but we are looking for a more biddable dog for Jin. Seems to fit the bill for EVERYTHING we wanted.

I've found some information on my own, the breed clubs, and a few breeders I've become fond of on a website-only basis. Already did some research on lines, and litters that are coming up in the next year or so. As it is, we might be set on one or two breeders and will hopefully have a pup by late 2013 or mid 2014. The dog would be Jin's companion, and my next project dog for sporting and shows, if it comes down to it. If it's pet only, no biggie. Still have to talk to a few breeders, like I said.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of the breed, or had any experiences with it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 AM
Top Dog

I've always been fairly interested in Chinooks... You will HAVE to post pics if you get one! Lots!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I've heard of them as there are quite a few in this area, but while I've met some of them I haven't spent much time with them.

ETA: There's a long-time breeder here, hence the Chinook population. It's not a random occurance...my understanding is there aren't many of them around. But they are popular enough here that I am frequently asked if Kim is an adolescent Chinook when people first see her.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 05-23-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Top Dog

I used to house sit for one. Very nice dog, zero aggression issues with anyone or any dogs. A bit independent for my tastes, but probably less so than some other northern breeds. He was decent off leash - not that you'd have him near the road or anything, but fine in the woods and such. Very, very active. His owners were runners and cross country skiers who got him as a running/skiing companion, and he thrived as that. Very quiet and polite in the house - honestly, I don't think I ever really saw him there. He's just go off and lie down.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Top Dog

My only experience with them, was last year when someone brought their entire kennel to our local UKC show. The one puppy was especially cute and friendly, but the dogs were a half/half. Some reminded me of a nervy skittish tempered GSD, others were a bit more confident, but all on the "aloof" "stand-offish" side, except for the puppy and younger adult bitch. I'd say from that, I'd highly recommend extreme socialization for the breed, IE, take that puppy out right from the start and no less than twice a week.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Top Dog

I've been interested in Chinooks since I read about them in a book quite awhile ago. My only personal experience is the one we had in class about 10 years ago. I only saw him for a couple of sessions as a puppy, tho, so I can't really say what he was like as an adult.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Puppy Dog

I've never met one, but from what I've read about them, they seem like pretty friendly dogs.

This is about as close I can get to see what these dogs are like.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/chinooks.html
Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 AM
*Now with Snark*

We had two registered chinook regularly when I ran the boarding facility. IMO they were pretty unimpressive - really poor temperament IMO for a dog of that size and supposed breed history. I can't imagine them being good for much in the way of work.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

I mow lawns for a woman up here who is a breeder of some fantastic Chinooks! I have nothing but good things to say about her, and only a few hangups with the breed itself.

The Good
- Her dogs are some of the most stable animals I've ever met. Tolerant and friendly with just about anyone. Even without knowing the dogs, you are completely able to enter the pen and make friends...just be careful you don't get licked to death!
- They have an incredible working drive. These dogs can just go forever, but they also seem to have a very perceptible off-switch and are great inside.
- Zero dog-aggression. These dogs are smashing into each other and yodeling and running and hunting 24/7 and I've never seen her break up a fight.
- Great variability in temperament: you can get a Chinook that is goofy and fun, or you can get one that is seriously driven to work. They all have high energy levels, but it's worth it!
- Excellent sense of humor. These dogs are hilarious. I love them.

The Less Good
- Super independent dogs. They are happy to see you, but don't think for a minute that you are anything particularly interesting!
- Oh my god the digging. And the escaping. We have these dogs in Alcatraz and they still routinely go for jaunts on her 100 acre+ property.
- BONK CRASH ZING these dogs are all over the place, even when properly exercised! Not hyper, they just love to do things!
- Pretty vocal for my tastes. They do a lot of talking.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Top Dog

There is a huge variability in breeders, ranging from great to terrible, so I'm not surprised that some dogs people have met have either been so-so, nothing special, or just plain nothing.

The breed is still small, so outcrossing to other breeds can be pretty common. And that adds in a whole 'nother level to the temperament when you think biddable vs independent. Most of the breeders I've seen don't accomplish anything with their dogs, and don't health test either. The best breeders health test, have work+show titled dogs, and a reliable breeding program that produces sweet, high drive, no aggressive, smart, people-oriented wanting to please dogs.

They are supposed to be confident, and love their people. Neither skittish or stand-offish But if the line was outcrossed to other Northern breeds or not chosen for temperament, I can see where that would go wrong quickly.

I definitely agree it can be hit or miss, which is why I'm trying to do all the research I can!

Thanks for all the input!