Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-10-2012, 02:18 PM
APBT crazy!

I would not go with a hound, honestly as a guard dog. My coonhound barks at like every little thing. Not saying it can't happen, but they are really human friendly in general.

I can see if you want the dog for hunting.. but I would not go with a dog that generally barks at everything lol. I don't think they were ever meant to be guard dogs, either. I know it's your choice and all but I would not seek out a coonhound for protection purposes!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Felurian

You have been telling me for years now how passionately you want that Fila puppy.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Big Dog

Have you thought about a rhodesian ridgeback? They come in your 60-100 lb range and mine is a great alert barker. Doesnt really bark except for at people around the house. Is great with people he knows but wont let anyone he doesnt know go unnoticed.

I wouldnt trust him to protect me, i just dont know if he would run or fight, but i know no one is going to get by without him letting me know. he is 95lbs so most sane people would be scared of him. When he barks at strangers he does not look friendly.

Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Twin 2.0

Honestly, I think a good, solid old-school Aussie would suit you perfectly. DA isn't the norm, they're awesome as alarms and will back it up if necessary, while still being ok around friendly strangers and the like. The kids will never be able to get into trouble because the Aussie will "tell" on them, LOL.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

I have nothing to add other than PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
The Littlest Hound

If I could clone Rage I'd send her your way... She will bark ferociously at anything approaching the house, sleeps with one eye open, and would not hesitate to bite an intruder, I don't think. But you don't sound sold on the hound idea so I'd probably invest in the dog you WANT; honest opinion on dog that would be best guard dog for the size? The cur.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayada1 View Post
Have you thought about a rhodesian ridgeback? They come in your 60-100 lb range and mine is a great alert barker. Doesnt really bark except for at people around the house. Is great with people he knows but wont let anyone he doesnt know go unnoticed.

I wouldnt trust him to protect me, i just dont know if he would run or fight, but i know no one is going to get by without him letting me know. he is 95lbs so most sane people would be scared of him. When he barks at strangers he does not look friendly.

Just a thought.
Rhodie would be about the only hound I'd get for an alert dog. I've not all of them are like this, but my friend's little purebred and big ass mix take their job very seriously. I had someone casing my house this summer outside my open windows (though the blinds were down), I woke up because I heard them whispering about how they had to make sure no one was home. My worthless sled dog mutts didn't even wake up until I yelled, "What the f are you doing outside my house." No bark, no interest, nothing! This from GSD/husky mixes who do some light sport bitework. My friend's big boy would have launched his 75lbs of muscle out the high window and been on them before I even knew they were there. The girls will now alert bark, but only because we did some training sessions in our apt after that incident. And my brother bought me something more reliable than a dog for xmas.

I think you should just get a Fila. Natural guard dogs are awesome.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I would go with a Fila, but I know how you`ve been pinning over getting one for a long time.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Big Dog

Of course you should get the borzoi because it's, you know, a borzoi. Actually, I was also going to suggest you consider a ridgeback. They're curs, but they get to play sighthound sports. They're a nice size--big enough to be intimidating but not huge--and size could be an issue as a renter. They aren't "barky," but they will sound the alarm if something is amiss. The ones I've known have been lower energy than the hunting-line houlas and BMCs I've known (I haven't met any Kemmers), so a ridgeback would be easier for you if you moved, but they're still high energy dogs.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

As long as I can live through you I think you should get a Fila or a Zoi. Major want here....

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/